Week 11 Positivity Thread

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
There seems to be a high amount of negative smog around this program right now.

Here are some things to be positive about.

1. The offense.

The offense is averaging 27.8 points per game. This is near the level of the 2016 team that went on to win the infamous 2016 Holiday Bowl. In 2016 we averaged 29.3, so the Gophers at this point aren't that far behind. Granted, NW and WI will provide stiff defensive tests in the weeks to come.

2. PJ is addressing issues

So the defense is horrible, so PJ fired the Def Coordinator. This was a good move. I think most of us agree. This shows that PJ isn't too stubborn to make a personal decision in firing one of his friends. So that's a positive regardless of what our results are in the next few weeks. Nothing worse than a coach who is too loyal to a bad assistant coach.

3. We're 4-5.

I know it's close to 4-8, but it's a lot better than 1-11 or 2-10. Plus who knows... maybe we upset someone before the year is over. Hang on to that small sliver of hope for an upset rather than be fully disgusted the next couple weeks. If you need negativity, it can be found in many places in Minnesota.

4. It can't get worse.

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but giving up 55 to Illinois should be a low point for some time. Maybe WI, PUR, or NW hang more than that on us, but they are all better teams than Illinois.

5. The future is still bright

We see the offense has talent. Enough to win some freshman of the week. Don't hate the whole team when we have players who are executing well and could be memorable players here at the U. Instead try to enjoy the fact that after each score the defense gives up, we get to see some young people excel in their craft in their first years.

7. We only need to beat another 2nd year coach this weekend to get within one game of a bowl with two games to play.

8. After our next 3 losses we won't have to endure anymore until next year.

7. We only need to beat another 2nd year coach this weekend to get within one game of a bowl with two games to play.

We beat one second year coach, hopefully we can beat another.
Otherwise we'll finish 1-1 against 2nd year coaches.

9. It’s still Gopher football season and after waiting 9 months for it to return I’m going to find some ways to enjoy the next three weeks. I love outdoor football and I love Gopher football. There are a lot of young players with upside on the offense. I’m also curious how the upper class men on defense (specifically the linebackers finish).

9. It’s still Gopher football season and after waiting 9 months for it to return I’m going to find some ways to enjoy the next three weeks. I love outdoor football and I love Gopher football. There are a lot of young players with upside on the offense. I’m also curious how the upper class men on defense (specifically the linebackers finish).

10. What he said. With things going sideways (or backwards), you can at least focus on the young guys and their development ... and we have some young talent to watch.

JTG

8. After our next 3 losses we won't have to endure anymore until next year.

Yep. The next two games have become completely ho-hum for me. More like a bother to get to the game, etc.. So, having it over is a good thing since we won't be winning anymore games this season.

It's weird that these are the end times to some folks and yet our offense seems like the most promising offense we've had in a while.

It's weird that these are the end times to some folks and yet our offense seems like the most promising offense we've had in a while.

Assuming that the goal is to win games, you have to score an awful lot of points when you're giving up 40+ a game. The offense is improving, but it's not anywhere near being able to score 45 a game or more.

There seems to be a high amount of negative smog around this program right now.

Here are some things to be positive about.

1. The offense.

The offense is averaging 27.8 points per game. This is near the level of the 2016 team that went on to win the infamous 2016 Holiday Bowl. In 2016 we averaged 29.3, so the Gophers at this point aren't that far behind. Granted, NW and WI will provide stiff defensive tests in the weeks to come.

2. PJ is addressing issues

So the defense is horrible, so PJ fired the Def Coordinator. This was a good move. I think most of us agree. This shows that PJ isn't too stubborn to make a personal decision in firing one of his friends. So that's a positive regardless of what our results are in the next few weeks. Nothing worse than a coach who is too loyal to a bad assistant coach.

3. We're 4-5.

I know it's close to 4-8, but it's a lot better than 1-11 or 2-10. Plus who knows... maybe we upset someone before the year is over. Hang on to that small sliver of hope for an upset rather than be fully disgusted the next couple weeks. If you need negativity, it can be found in many places in Minnesota.

4. It can't get worse.

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but giving up 55 to Illinois should be a low point for some time. Maybe WI, PUR, or NW hang more than that on us, but they are all better teams than Illinois.

5. The future is still bright

We see the offense has talent. Enough to win some freshman of the week. Don't hate the whole team when we have players who are executing well and could be memorable players here at the U. Instead try to enjoy the fact that after each score the defense gives up, we get to see some young people excel in their craft in their first years.

You Flecksters really hate the success of the 2016 team.

The positive things about this season:
(1) WRs;
(2) Big Dan;
(3) mediocore QB play;
(4) Smith is gone.

10. What he said. With things going sideways (or backwards), you can at least focus on the young guys and their development ... and we have some young talent to watch.

JTG

11. Game Day won't be making an appearance this season, so I don't have to buy poster board and markers. More money for Powerball!

12. We didn't extend PJs contract this year.

13. The teams we beat are 19-19...thanks Fresno. I think that's positive.

- Most of the trolls on the board won't be at the game.

- F* the Facts won't be at the game.

We have more likely NFL players on our team that should be back next year than at any point that I recall in the last 15 years.

Bateman/Coughlin seem highly likely to get drafted.
TJ should at least get a contract and if he can fix the drops should be drafted after next season.
Dunlap/Faalele seem to both have a good shot at making it.
Winfield if he can play an injury free year next year should be drafted.
Other guys like Rodney and Shannon might get non roster invites, T. Smith could make it if he develops...

14. The offseason starts on Nov 25.

Gophers dominate the offseason. Then there's September, October and Ophernovember. If they could just figure out that 3 month stretch. 50+ years in the making...

We have more likely NFL players on our team that should be back next year than at any point that I recall in the last 15 years.

Bateman/Coughlin seem highly likely to get drafted.
TJ should at least get a contract and if he can fix the drops should be drafted after next season.
Dunlap/Faalele seem to both have a good shot at making it.
Winfield if he can play an injury free year next year should be drafted.
Other guys like Rodney and Shannon might get non roster invites, T. Smith could make it if he develops...

Coughlin may end up a tweener, not big enough to play line, not fast enough to play LB.
Winfield has an uphill battle convincing any team he is durable, when your already small and miss two seasons in a row with injury, probably gets a shot as undrafted free agent.
Brooks ditto the Winfield situation

Agree on this being a talented group and fun to watch how they progress.

14. When the defense isn't on the field, this team is fun to watch. Our offense is pretty good and some of these young throwers and catchers can play.

15. We haven’t lost to Wisconsin yet this year.

16. The wieners I bought at Kramaczuk's should make for awesome chili dogs at our tailgate.

Two years is a while?

The offense is averaging 27.8 points per game. This is near the level of the 2016 team that went on to win the infamous 2016 Holiday Bowl. In 2016 we averaged 29.3

16. I've made a decent amount money on Gopher games this year. 7-2 (missed tOSU and IU games).

Last edited:

Top Bottom