200 minutes per game

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
With the Carr news, this exercise becomes more clear.

There are 200 minutes in a game. What is your ideal minute breakdown per player?

This assumes no injuries, foul trouble, etc. and in a highly competitive game.

Mine?
Murphy-30
Coffey-30
McBrayer-30
Oturu-25
Kalscheuer-25
Washington-25
Stockman-10
Hurt-10
Stull-10
Omersa-5

Threw this together in a minute. Tell me why I’m wrong!

Guessing Stockman and Hurt will be closer to 15-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I think Stull will end up getting a lot more minutes with a good chance he supplants Kalscheur as a starter. I just can't get over the fact that a freshman barely ranked inside the top 200 247 composite rankings is starting over a guy who averaged over 13 PPG and right around 5 RPG and 3 APG the last two years on a D1 team.

Anything but Hurt over 10. And Bro ain't coming here no matter how many he gets.

I think Stull will end up getting a lot more minutes with a good chance he supplants Kalscheur as a starter. I just can't get over the fact that a freshman barely ranked inside the top 200 247 composite rankings is starting over a guy who averaged over 13 PPG and right around 5 RPG and 3 APG the last two years on a D1 team.

Agreed. There is absolutely zero chance Stull averages 10 minutes a game this year. We will never get another good grad transfer if that happens.

Anything but Hurt over 10. And Bro ain't coming here no matter how many he gets.

Really? So why do you think he waited til spring?

If he just wanted to choose from blue bloods, doesn't he have all the best options now?

Agreed. There is absolutely zero chance Stull averages 10 minutes a game this year. We will never get another good grad transfer if that happens.

Thats like saying we'll never get another freshman because one guy doesnt play enough.

Really? So why do you think he waited til spring?

If he just wanted to choose from blue bloods, doesn't he have all the best options now?

It's obvious he's waiting till spring so he can see if all the crap going on at kansas blows over. if it looks bad he will go elsewhere. if it slowly fades out of consciousness (as these types of things commonly do), he will likely commit to kansas at that point

i think it has very little to do with wanting to "see how the gophers do" that so many gopher fans are trying to convince themselves of

we will get our hopes up, only for our dreams to be crushed again. it's how these things work.

It's obvious he's waiting till spring so he can see if all the crap going on at kansas blows over. if it looks bad he will go elsewhere. if it slowly fades out of consciousness (as these types of things commonly do), he will likely commit to kansas at that point

i think it has very little to do with wanting to "see how the gophers do" that so many gopher fans are trying to convince themselves of

we will get our hopes up, only for our dreams to be crushed again. it's how these things work.

Agree.

For highly competitive games, the only change I would make is to steal a few minutes from several players to give 5-10 more minutes to Stockman and 5 more to Omersa and a few more to Stull. I think Stockman and Stull are better than you give them credit for being.

In the “easy” games, I would shift a lot of minutes downward (but that’s not what you are getting at here).

Interesting responses. I agree with some of it. Takes time to set a rotation obviously.

Without Curry

Murphy-32
Coffey-32
McBrayer-30
Washington-24
Oturu-22
Kalscheuer-20
Stull-15
Stockman-14
Hurt-6
Omersa-5

With Curry

Coffey-32
McBrayer-30
Murphy-30
Washington-24
Curry-22
Kalscheuer-20
Stull-15
Oturu-12
Stockman-6
Hurt-5
Omersa-4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Stull joined the team late because he was completing required course work at his former school, and as a result was behind the other (healthy) players in terms of conditioning and learning the system.

Assuming that is correct, then it's likely to assume that his minutes will increase in proportion to his conditioning and level of comfort with the system. (if he can play. If he can't play, then he can sit on the end of the bench and wave a towel.)

Coffey averaged 33 minutes as a freshman. With his utility at both point and small forward, I'd guess he'll play over 30 minutes, maybe even pushing up toward 35.

Coffey averaged 33 minutes as a freshman. With his utility at both point and small forward, I'd guess he'll play over 30 minutes, maybe even pushing up toward 35.

Pitino has demonstrated that he likes to play a short bench. This is realistic.

Once the B1G starts, my guess is Coffey exceeds 35 minutes/game.

With the Carr news, this exercise becomes more clear.

There are 200 minutes in a game. What is your ideal minute breakdown per player?

This assumes no injuries, foul trouble, etc. and in a highly competitive game.

Mine?
Murphy-30
Coffey-30
McBrayer-30
Oturu-25
Kalscheuer-25
Washington-25
Stockman-10
Hurt-10
Stull-10
Omersa-5

Threw this together in a minute. Tell me why I’m wrong!

I think you're fairly close, although I'm inclined to think Omersa may be getting a few more minutes.

Stockman was a pleasant surprise in the scrimmage and against Omaha. I would also think Stull would be picking up some minutes, but where? Throw a healthy Curry into the mix, and this is starting to look like a team with depth.

(Of course, I'm a lifelong Gopher football fan, so I tend to be irrationally exuberant at the start of every season. Then reality rips my heart out and invites friends over to line dance on it.)

JTG

Pitino has demonstrated that he likes to play a short bench. This is realistic.

I think that in the past Pitino has HAD a short bench. This is by far the most quality depth he has had so it remains to be seen how he will play it.

The good news is that he is not stuck with putting players out there that aren't playing the way he wants them to. Case in point is Washington coming off the bench for a while. He has to play more like he did against Omaha...move the ball and not over dribble, and he has to improve his defense. The depth will make Washington a much better player than he would have been.

Curry, when he returns, takes time from Omearsa who has a great future but will be spending more time watching this year if everyone stays healthy.

core 7
Murphy
Curry
Oturu
Coffey
McBrayer
Kalsheuer
Washington

Solid depth
Stockman
Stull
Hurt
Omearsa

There's nobody on this team that I am bothered to see on the floor- they can go 11 deep or tighten to 7 or 8 depending on the game, pace of play, fouls and injuries.

There's nobody on this team that I am bothered to see on the floor- they can go 11 deep or tighten to 7 or 8 depending on the game, pace of play, fouls and injuries.

I'm pretty sure watching paint dry would be more entertaining than watching injuries force Pitino to roll out Brady and Hunt.

I'm pretty sure watching paint dry would be more entertaining than watching injuries force Pitino to roll out Brady and Hunt.

And Brady and Hunt are not in the top 11 he mentioned, so we shouldn’t have to worry about watching paint dry.

I totally expect Stull to pick up more minutes. I was at the game and not only was he stellar on the defensive end, his shot and passing were exceptional as well. I would expect as he gets into shape and learns more of the system his minutes will drastically increase.

Brady Rudrud gets a bad rap. I think he is probably very valuable to the team and is better than most people would expect. Looks like the kind of kid who'd score 10 straight in a pickup game and not break a sweat in the process.

I've only watched him for 2 games now, but Stull hasn't passed the (my) eye test. Looks like a slow Dusty Rychart. That comparison would be offensive to Dusty as he was super productive and one of my faves.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Brady Rudrud gets a bad rap. I think he is probably very valuable to the team and is better than most people would expect. Looks like the kind of kid who'd score 10 straight in a pickup game and not break a sweat in the process.

I had the same thought.

Top Bottom