Marcus Carr Waiver: Appeal Announcement Expected Today (11/14)

There is not a conspiracy. Every fan base complains about the officiating. especially when they lose, then it is 100 times worse. Never hear the winner complain. As for Carr, i just wish we knew what the criteria is for approval and being denied. Then we would know if we had a legitimate reason to complain or celebrate. We simply have no idea why some have been approved and others not. The PITT AD is suppose to recuse himself from the case of any Pitt transfer in or out.

You apparently were still in the Brad Davison is a tool thread instead of reading the Penn State game thread when we continuously got screwed over time and time again and still won.

NCAA is corrupt and needs to go away for the P5, just like Mark Emmert and his giant glued on toupee both need to away.

The NCAA has been as corrupt as an organization as you could script, relative to the pure PR image presented. The money generators get a pass, the patsies get crushed.

Oklahoma Football, Texas Football, UCLA Basketball, SEC football players driving BMWs, USC, Reggie Bush, Kentucky Basketball., North Carolina BB- fake classes, nothing, ., envelopes of cash documented, Cam Newton, ..... who pays the price- Cleveland State, SMU, Tark-UNLV, Minnesota, Basketball Bill M 1977,

As I said - reality is reality. Go Tar Heels!!!!

Reality badger built.

You apparently were still in the Brad Davison is a tool thread instead of reading the Penn State game thread when we continuously got screwed over time and time again and still won.

Penn State had two more fouls and 10 fewer free throw attempts in the game. Obviously fouls were being called against them but don't let the facts get in the way of your victim complex.

Penn State had two more fouls and 10 fewer free throw attempts in the game. Obviously fouls were being called against them but don't let the facts get in the way of your victim complex.

I dont dispute that gopher fans have a serious victim complex with both officials and the media. That said, comparing total number of fouls and free throws is not a good way to make that point. The point of fouls is not to give each team and equal number of turns at the foul line, it is to punish infractions. An equal number of fouls for two teams does not mean a well officiated game if one team committed more fouls.

The Pitt AD would have to recuse from Carr's petition. However, I could imagine the presence of the Pitt AD on the committee could have an effect.

Don't want to get into it again ... but I'm pretty certain the only thing stopping Carr this season was that they just were too honest on the waiver request. They should have said it was for mental health reasons, or family reasons .... anything more emotionally appealing and less cut-and-dried than "my coach got fired", I bet would have been more difficult to turn down.

I don't care to debate whether we got screwed by the refs that game, but fouls are not designed to be even. Team A getting called for 15 more fouls than team B doesn't mean team A got screwed, and both teams getting called for the same amount doesn't mean the refs called things fairly. Talent and style of play greatly influence how often a team gets fouled.

I haven't noticed huge variations in the calls, Murphy occasionally gets mugged without a call but that might be more the way he plays.

I don't care to debate whether we got screwed by the refs that game, but fouls are not designed to be even. Team A getting called for 15 more fouls than team B doesn't mean team A got screwed, and both teams getting called for the same amount doesn't mean the refs called things fairly. Talent and style of play greatly influence how often a team gets fouled.
The non call when Frazier hooks Murphy (should have been an F1) that gets Murphy called for the foul, compared to Kalsheur's less aggregious hook against Michigan being ruled an F1 is evidence of inconsistent reffing in the B1G.
Refs turning blind eyes on the Gophers is clear this season. Nothing can be done about it, but observation shows bias.
Many years ago I saw a high school crew foul out an entire starting five in a sectional semi-final. It was blatantly obvious they were bias. Review of the game got the crew suspended for the next season. The team they cheated would likely have gone to State.
Bias is a fact of life.

I see no bias against the Gophers. Watch with the fan of another team and he will see it differently. That is a bias but a ref does not like one team more. Generally call more fouls on teams with poor fundamentals like reaching in, swatting down, not moving the feet. Refs have a very difficult and thankless job. It has been made worse by slow motion replay which makes the call look easy. Full game speed is really tough. The best team approach, and i think Pitino approaches it this way is to move on to the next play with no wasted energy or protest by the player.

I see no bias against the Gophers. Watch with the fan of another team and he will see it differently. That is a bias but a ref does not like one team more. Generally call more fouls on teams with poor fundamentals like reaching in, swatting down, not moving the feet. Refs have a very difficult and thankless job. It has been made worse by slow motion replay which makes the call look easy. Full game speed is really tough. The best team approach, and i think Pitino approaches it this way is to move on to the next play with no wasted energy or protest by the player.

So the opposite of Bo Ryan?

The non call when Frazier hooks Murphy (should have been an F1) that gets Murphy called for the foul, compared to Kalsheur's less aggregious hook against Michigan being ruled an F1 is evidence of inconsistent reffing in the B1G.
Refs turning blind eyes on the Gophers is clear this season. Nothing can be done about it, but observation shows bias.
Many years ago I saw a high school crew foul out an entire starting five in a sectional semi-final. It was blatantly obvious they were bias. Review of the game got the crew suspended for the next season. The team they cheated would likely have gone to State.
Bias is a fact of life.

Most teams fans feel the refs are out to get them

So the opposite of Bo Ryan?

In my opinion. Ryan was among the worst, he took it on but not his players. He actually tried to intimidate refs. K does this as well and his players whine. Then there are the coaches go out onto the court. I want all of these things called as T - fouls. I DID SAY APPROACH. Ryan was bad.

As does the consistency of the fouls being called on each end of the floor.

Some games are obviously not called consistently. Simple to see, especially when replays are reviewed.

Most would simply appreciate the ref's being consistent. Very, very simple yet soooooo hard to achieve.

In my opinion. Ryan was among the worst, he took it on but not his players. He actually tried to intimidate refs. K does this as well and his players whine. Then there are the coaches go out onto the court. I want all of these things called as T - fouls. I DID SAY APPROACH. Ryan was bad.

Hence my comment. I thought Ryan deserved a T about every 3-5 minutes. I do think SOME Of his players took that personality on a bit and would get whiney, but I understand what you're saying

Don't want to get into it again ... but I'm pretty certain the only thing stopping Carr this season was that they just were too honest on the waiver request. They should have said it was for mental health reasons, or family reasons .... anything more emotionally appealing and less cut-and-dried than "my coach got fired", I bet would have been more difficult to turn down.

Or he needs Jucy Lucy’s to survive.

I dont dispute that gopher fans have a serious victim complex with both officials and the media. That said, comparing total number of fouls and free throws is not a good way to make that point. The point of fouls is not to give each team and equal number of turns at the foul line, it is to punish infractions. An equal number of fouls for two teams does not mean a well officiated game if one team committed more fouls.

I obviously cannot prove this and I'm sure most referees would not admit to this, but the number of fouls in most of the games seem to even out, so I'm assuming the refs generally have an awareness of the team fouls and try to make them more equal. This would be detrimental to a team that has a tendency to draw more fouls (which I believe the Gophers are), and would thus result in some referee bias away from those teams.

As does the consistency of the fouls being called on each end of the floor.

Some games are obviously not called consistently. Simple to see, especially when replays are reviewed.

Most would simply appreciate the ref's being consistent. Very, very simple yet soooooo hard to achieve.

Right, my only point is that refs being consistent and fair doesn't mean that each team will be called for the same amount of fouls.

I obviously cannot prove this and I'm sure most referees would not admit to this, but the number of fouls in most of the games seem to even out, so I'm assuming the refs generally have an awareness of the team fouls and try to make them more equal. This would be detrimental to a team that has a tendency to draw more fouls (which I believe the Gophers are), and would thus result in some referee bias away from those teams.

Yes, and also, if your style of play is conducive to drawing more fouls (as ours is), you're going to get screwed more. Bad but easy math example - if refs miss 10% of fouls, the hypothetical team that draws 30 legit fouls would be a victim of 3 misses per game, whereas the hypothetical team that draws 10 legit fouls would be a victim of 1 miss per game

You learn a lot about reffing and people's perceptions if you aren't fans of a team and you watch a game with people who are fans of a team. They compain about calls that were obvious. They feel every 50-50 call should go there way.

You clearly didn't watch that game if you think it was called evenly.

That’s actually a significantly lower percentage than I thought it would be.

Yup.
So of all the transfers in the entire country only 33 got waivers to play right away. It isn’t like Carr is this lonely guy who got screwed. He is one of the other hundreds that isn’t eligible right away.

Although I wish Carr could play right away, my initial reaction is that his waiver should be denied.

Yup.
So of all the transfers in the entire country only 33 got waivers to play right away. It isn’t like Carr is this lonely guy who got screwed. He is one of the other hundreds that isn’t eligible right away.

Although I wish Carr could play right away, my initial reaction is that his waiver should be denied.

Where are you getting hundreds? I wonder what percentage were granted waivers where the coach was fired/quit from previous school.

Where are you getting hundreds? I wonder what percentage were granted waivers where the coach was fired/quit from previous school.

So many factors, very few which we have any access to. What we do know is there was not some conspiracy to block him. What we do know is those that should strong evidence of being closer to home for a ailing relative worked. We have no proof of coaching hardship etc.. In the future coaches leaving or being fired will give players free movement.

I have no idea how many transfers there were in all of
College basketball. I assume hundreds. No idea if it Is accurate.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-players-and-coaches-cope-increase/686784001/

According to this article in 13-14 about 13% of D1 basketball players were 4 year school to 4 year school transfers. If that percentage stays the same that’s probably about 600 current transfers on rosters. Assuming none of those are freshmen that’s about 200 soph-senior per class.

So maybe not hundreds per year. Maybe I’m wrong

So many factors, very few which we have any access to. What we do know is there was not some conspiracy to block him. What we do know is those that should strong evidence of being closer to home for a ailing relative worked. We have no proof of coaching hardship etc.. In the future coaches leaving or being fired will give players free movement.

Perhaps no conspiracy.

Mn success at this versus others poor at best. Why?

Reality.

Top Bottom