Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    No worries. This spring at the coaches convention they will pass that if your coach leaves or is fired then players can transfer without sitting out. All that will be left then are the guys that just want to change schools and that will still be the largest category but those will be sitting one year.
    I agree. I think we're really not that far off from just paying the players and having more or less free agency, in as much as you can't switch teams DURING the season, but open after the season. Really wondering if we'll even make players enroll at the school, or just be hired as employees. Will be interesting to watch play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    I agree. I think we're really not that far off from just paying the players and having more or less free agency, in as much as you can't switch teams DURING the season, but open after the season. Really wondering if we'll even make players enroll at the school, or just be hired as employees. Will be interesting to watch play out.
    The presidents and coaches are never going total free agency on transfers. Grad transfers have been and are free, proven hardships are free. Going forward, if your coach leaves for any reason a player can transfer without sitting out a year. Free otherwise would result in all the great programs stealing the best players from the less than great programs. Not going to happen. Also, if anybody did a actual study of the money available, very few schools have a huge surplus of money for athletes. They already get a stipend and a half million dollar scholarship. Lets take the Gophers, how much money was left after revenue minus expenses. If it was 2 million, how do you cover 100 football players, cover woman's athletes. Are there 500 athletes ? That means 4000 per in the year you make money. You would have to pay every woman athlete equally. This will not happen, Presidents will never go for it.

The presidents and coaches are never going total free agency on transfers. Grad transfers have been and are free, proven hardships are free. Going forward, if your coach leaves for any reason a player can transfer without sitting out a year. Free otherwise would result in all the great programs stealing the best players from the less than great programs. Not going to happen. Also, if anybody did a actual study of the money available, very few schools have a huge surplus of money for athletes. They already get a stipend and a half million dollar scholarship. Lets take the Gophers, how much money was left after revenue minus expenses. If it was 2 million, how do you cover 100 football players, cover woman's athletes. Are there 500 athletes ? That means 4000 per in the year you make money. You would have to pay every woman athlete equally. This will not happen, Presidents will never go for it.
    If presidents had their way, there wouldn't even be athletic scholarships. It would be the Ivy League model across the board. True "amateurism", just like the way the English conjured it up.

All of this stuff -- all the improvements in quality of life for major sport student-athletes -- has only happened because of lawsuits. It's not like the presidents one day decided they should change their minds. They were forced.

So all the stuff I'm talking about is because of lawsuits.

If P5 schools only had men's bball and football as the only two varsity sports, there would be no such thing as the argument that there wasn't enough money. That argument only exists because of the massive size of the varsity athletics depts.

Club sports are just as good for the lower revenue sports. Or heck, all sports can be clubs .... just some with HUGE budgets. Or at the very extreme end, football and MBB (and maybe a few others) can be completely independent, private organizations, that simply have a "name only" affiliation with the school. Rent the school's facilities, etc. but have their own independent budgets. That would bypass Title IX completely, because those private organizations would no long be apart of education institutions (which is in the language of the Title IX law).

If you're creative enough, there is always a way to force it to work.

No worries. This spring at the coaches convention they will pass that if your coach leaves or is fired then players can transfer without sitting out. All that will be left then are the guys that just want to change schools and that will still be the largest category but those will be sitting one year.
    Will players be allowed to follow their coach if he leaves for another school?

This is the one part of the "free transfer if your coach leaves" that I could see getting a little shady.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Will players be allowed to follow their coach if he leaves for another school?

This is the one part of the "free transfer if your coach leaves" that I could see getting a little shady.
    Great question ! I know blocking that is being discussed because it can knock out a kid at a new school that picked the school. Of course as we move more towards guaranteed 4 year scholarships those exceptions would be protected. Nearly every recruit does pick the coach though. Much to work out.