Marcus Carr Waiver: Appeal Announcement Expected Today (11/14)

Is there news I don't know about?

We know from public data the Gophers are appealing. Pitino also declared confidence he would be given the waiver, before and after the initial denial. I'm not as confident as Pitino. In fact, I am not confident at all.

We know from public data the Gophers are appealing. Pitino also declared confidence he would be given the waiver, before and after the initial denial. I'm not as confident as Pitino. In fact, I am not confident at all.

Ok, thats what I knew. Didn't know if something happened with the appeal. Can't imagine that process is quick because NCAA is involved still

Ok, thats what I knew. Didn't know if something happened with the appeal. Can't imagine that process is quick because NCAA is involved still
On Barriero Sunday Sermons, Richard was interviewed and - as usual - gave a great interview. In it, he said that it would likely only be a few days.

Dickie V tweeting in support of Carr again a few minutes ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see why people might find Vitale annoying. Personally, quirky guys like him make life more interesting. I say embrace the odd balls. Nice to see him pulling for Marcus.

I can see why people might find Vitale annoying. Personally, quirky guys like him make life more interesting. I say embrace the odd balls. Nice to see him pulling for Marcus.

I’m torn. He annoys me, but his enthusiasm is unparalleled and seems to be legit.

per Marcus:

No Carr waiver update

Sophomore guard Marcus Carr filed an appeal last week after his waiver to play this season was denied by the NCAA, but he hasn’t heard back about the second go round.

Carr was a starting point guard for the Panthers last season and led the team in assists, but he decided to leave the program after second-year coach Kevin Stallings was fired. Stallings received a $10 million buyout.

“I think it’s challenging for him with the process,” Pitino said about Carr. “He was recruited by a coach and staff who assured him they would be there. In sports, we understand things can change. But to go to a place and after a year the coaches he went to the school for are gone — that’s a big deal. People have got to understand a lot of these kids choose it for the head coach and the staff. That’s hard on young people. That’s why we think he should play right away.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-pitino-scheduled-utah-with-gophers-fans-in-mind/500336602/

Go Gophers!!

During the BTN broadcast for the game vs. Utah, one of the announcers said they expect to hear a decision on the appeal by Wednesday. I haven't seen it discussed or written about anywhere though.

During the BTN broadcast for the game vs. Utah, one of the announcers said they expect to hear a decision on the appeal by Wednesday. I haven't seen it discussed or written about anywhere though.

That would be 7 days from the initial decision. Maybe the NCAA is required to decide the appeal within 7 days.

If he doesn't get it, then it increases our reliance on Jelly significantly. That's a position that makes me nervous. On the other hand, maybe that would be best in the long run -- who knows, maybe the extra PT for Jelly finally helps him develop his potential. If Carr gets the waiver and Jelly's PT plummets, we can all speculate what's going to happen after that.

Last edited:

That would be 7 days from the initial decision. Maybe the NCAA is required to decide the appeal within 7 days.

If he doesn't get it, then it increases our reliance on Jelly significantly. That's a position that makes me nervous. On the other hand, maybe that would be best in the long run -- who knows, maybe the extra PT for Jelly finally helps him develop his potential. If Carr gets the waiver and Jelly's PT plummets, we can all speculate what's going to happen after that.

I remember Hummel saying that and to me, it came across more as speculation then coming from an inside source. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Must be something to this "Wednesday" thing. From Marcus' new Strib blog:

"Pittsburgh transfer Marcus Carr receiving positive news on his waiver appeal Wednesday would clear up any depth issues at point guard, but it’s still an uphill battle after the NCAA denied him the first time."

With all the talk about our 2019 recruiting class, pretty crazy how we could have two guys become eligible next season.. Obviously, I would prefer Carr is granted the waiver so he can play right away. But it's a good consolation prize, at least.

Don't know if this has been asked/answered yet, but do the same people at the NCAA who made the original decision on this also hear the appeal, or does that go to a separate person or group?

Don't know if this has been asked/answered yet, but do the same people at the NCAA who made the original decision on this also hear the appeal, or does that go to a separate person or group?

Pitino said in an interview last week it's an entire separate group that takes the appeal. They take the U's info, Pitt's info and the initial decision all into consideration. Pitino's main point was that Carr shouldn't be punished for something that was out of his control (his coaching staff getting fired). It's hard to disagree with that.

Pitino said in an interview last week it's an entire separate group that takes the appeal. They take the U's info, Pitt's info and the initial decision all into consideration. Pitino's main point was that Carr shouldn't be punished for something that was out of his control (his coaching staff getting fired). It's hard to disagree with that.

Not that I want his appeal denied but it's easy to disagree with that position if you feel that a player commits to a school and not a coach. This is the stance the NCAA has taken for decades. Just because kids have decided to commit to the coach doesn't mean the NCAA rules have changed.

Not that I want his appeal denied but it's easy to disagree with that position if you feel that a player commits to a school and not a coach. This is the stance the NCAA has taken for decades. Just because kids have decided to commit to the coach doesn't mean the NCAA rules have changed.

I've usually viewed it as a player committing to a program, which happens to be at a particular school. The program has many components to be considered for a Good player fit: coaching styles/rapport, agreed upon roles and opportunities etc, and of course location. The coaching staff up and leaving is a significant change to a program, as would be the school's change of geographic location. That's my $.02 for the day.

You are right. It's been a rule forever. My only question would be, if it's the rule why has everyone else on the planet gotten the ok to play but Marcus Carr? If he gets denied, everyone will say we dont have a bitch because that's been the rule forever, but in reality we do have a bitch. We will obviously have to accept it, but the ncaa is the one who started granting waivers to everyone just because.

You are right. It's been a rule forever. My only question would be, if it's the rule why has everyone else on the planet gotten the ok to play but Marcus Carr? If he gets denied, everyone will say we dont have a bitch because that's been the rule forever, but in reality we do have a bitch. We will obviously have to accept it, but the ncaa is the one who started granting waivers to everyone just because.

^^^I can agree with this

The appeal was denied, he won't play this year. It's a shame, but it is what it is...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The appeal was denied, he won't play this year. It's a shame, but it is what it is...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Total b.s, but this team will be fine and I like our scholarship balance better with Carr sitting.

I feel bad for the kid, and I’m pissed at the NCAA. Feels like some sort of mob group that favors certain organizations that deliver more revenue and makes arbitrary decisions without explanation or oversight. Maybe we all need to show up at their headquarters with signs and bull-horns and force their leaders to leave restaurants.

I don’t think he should play. I agree with NCAAs rule.

If you could get a waiver simply for the coach leaving, that is a giant can of worms.
If I wanted free agency I would watch the nba

I feel bad for the kid, and I’m pissed at the NCAA. Feels like some sort of mob group that favors certain organizations that deliver more revenue and makes arbitrary decisions without explanation or oversight.

We already know this, but it's usually not this in-your-face. Complete B.S.

Top Bottom