Marcus Carr Waiver: Appeal Announcement Expected Today (11/14)

This is meaningless. Charles Buggs was the star one year!
I can't believe we are still talking about this. There was never a real reason to think he'd be eligible.
Didn't you mean one game? :eek: on Buggs
Agreed, until a lot of people were declared eligible with less reason by the NCAA. Pitt not cooperating is the only reason he wasn't declared eligible imo At the very least the decisions do seem random.

Didn't you mean one game? :eek: on Buggs
Agreed, until a lot of people were declared eligible with less reason by the NCAA. Pitt not cooperating is the only reason he wasn't declared eligible imo At the very least the decisions do seem random.
He was the star of the M&G scrimmage one year - dont we wish it had been the entire year? (One of my favorite sarcastic Pitino quotes pertained to CB watching the NCAA Tournament. "I'm very impressed - had no idea he was interested in basketball")
Not that I dont look for good things from Carr.
And not that the NCAA's decisions haven't always seemed random. If only we'd known to have that woman write papers for everyone in the class, I think we'd been ok.

The Pitt AD is on the board that approves/denies waivers. Carr never had a chance from the beginning, they would never admit their own athletic department was toxic, even after they paid their coach 10 million to leave.

Built says the criteria was not met by Carr. Nothing to do with Pitt!!!!

Built.

Justin Fields was from Georgia or at least played HS ft ball in Georgia. Georgia must've let go. I'm with you though, the NCAA needs to just make a rule and stick with it. This grey area has lead to a larger mess. Most graduate programs are 18 months, make all transfers wait a year or have none of them. Or make specific rule s like a coaching being fired.

The ncaa is corrupt. Ncaa rules and criteria are meant to be broken and ignored. By some. M

Built.

Built says the criteria was not met by Carr. Nothing to do with Pitt!!!!

Built.

Actually i posted that Pitt may have had something to do with it. Read the NCAA transfer process. Always do research to get the info you can, always.

Actually i posted that Pitt may have had something to do with it. Read the NCAA transfer process. Always do research to get the info you can, always.

Always see reality. Always.

The ncaa and the process you reference is as corrupt as any process can be. This is proven correct repeatedly.

Believe the ncaa all you want.

The ncaa and the process you reference is as corrupt as any process can be. This is proven correct repeatedly.

It’s essentially the same as the mshsl process for immediate transfer eligibility.
I would rather them go back to hardly ever granting waivers.

It’s essentially the same as the mshsl process for immediate transfer eligibility.
I would rather them go back to hardly ever granting waivers.

No worries. This spring at the coaches convention they will pass that if your coach leaves or is fired then players can transfer without sitting out. All that will be left then are the guys that just want to change schools and that will still be the largest category but those will be sitting one year.

Agree, believe what you want.

He was the star of the M&G scrimmage one year - dont we wish it had been the entire year? (One of my favorite sarcastic Pitino quotes pertained to CB watching the NCAA Tournament. "I'm very impressed - had no idea he was interested in basketball")
Not that I dont look for good things from Carr.
And not that the NCAA's decisions haven't always seemed random. If only we'd known to have that woman write papers for everyone in the class, I think we'd been ok.

Ah, missed it. I was referring to...was it the Iowa game?....where he had like 17 points in the first half, plus ya know blocked a shot, got rebounds, made a pass he normally couldn't etc....and was just generally a fantasy begging the question of who is this guy? Maybe there was another flash minute in another game somewhere but except for all the head scratching negative plays he was invisible for much of the year...anyway, that's my memory of his season on the court.

Pitino can be awesome with quotes! That's a keeper for sure.

Last edited:

No worries. This spring at the coaches convention they will pass that if your coach leaves or is fired then players can transfer without sitting out. All that will be left then are the guys that just want to change schools and that will still be the largest category but those will be sitting one year.

Oh great, just in time to screw Minnesota again.

Ah, missed it. I was referring to...was it the Iowa game?....where he had like 17 points in the first half, plus ya know blocked a shot, got rebounds, made a pass he normally couldn't etc....and was just generally a fantasy begging the question of who is this guy? Maybe there was another flash minute in another game somewhere but except for all the head scratching negative plays he was invisible for much of the year...anyway, that's my memory of his season on the court.

Pitino can be awesome with quotes! That's a keeper for sure.
Yes, I'd forgotten that game.
The crazy thing is that he was invisible before he got here too - it was impossible to find anything more than a small mention of him & where he was playing on the web.
I often wondered if he was having absence seizures. They're very hard to diagnose, and his behavior seemed so inexplicable.

When it comes to next year, I certainly hope Marcus Carr is the savior at PG everyone is praying for.

When it comes to next year, I certainly hope Marcus Carr is the savior at PG everyone is praying for.

Very doubtful with Murphy gone. He would have been the perfect complementary piece for this year's team but next year we will need someone to step up at the 4.

Very doubtful with Murphy gone. He would have been the perfect complementary piece for this year's team but next year we will need someone to step up at the 4.

A healthy Curry and Oturu will make for a very good front court. Depth is a concern until we sign another big guy, but our starting lineup should be good.

I agree. I think we're really not that far off from just paying the players and having more or less free agency, in as much as you can't switch teams DURING the season, but open after the season. Really wondering if we'll even make players enroll at the school, or just be hired as employees. Will be interesting to watch play out.

I agree. I think we're really not that far off from just paying the players and having more or less free agency, in as much as you can't switch teams DURING the season, but open after the season. Really wondering if we'll even make players enroll at the school, or just be hired as employees. Will be interesting to watch play out.

The presidents and coaches are never going total free agency on transfers. Grad transfers have been and are free, proven hardships are free. Going forward, if your coach leaves for any reason a player can transfer without sitting out a year. Free otherwise would result in all the great programs stealing the best players from the less than great programs. Not going to happen. Also, if anybody did a actual study of the money available, very few schools have a huge surplus of money for athletes. They already get a stipend and a half million dollar scholarship. Lets take the Gophers, how much money was left after revenue minus expenses. If it was 2 million, how do you cover 100 football players, cover woman's athletes. Are there 500 athletes ? That means 4000 per in the year you make money. You would have to pay every woman athlete equally. This will not happen, Presidents will never go for it.

The presidents and coaches are never going total free agency on transfers. Grad transfers have been and are free, proven hardships are free. Going forward, if your coach leaves for any reason a player can transfer without sitting out a year. Free otherwise would result in all the great programs stealing the best players from the less than great programs. Not going to happen. Also, if anybody did a actual study of the money available, very few schools have a huge surplus of money for athletes. They already get a stipend and a half million dollar scholarship. Lets take the Gophers, how much money was left after revenue minus expenses. If it was 2 million, how do you cover 100 football players, cover woman's athletes. Are there 500 athletes ? That means 4000 per in the year you make money. You would have to pay every woman athlete equally. This will not happen, Presidents will never go for it.

If presidents had their way, there wouldn't even be athletic scholarships. It would be the Ivy League model across the board. True "amateurism", just like the way the English conjured it up.

All of this stuff -- all the improvements in quality of life for major sport student-athletes -- has only happened because of lawsuits. It's not like the presidents one day decided they should change their minds. They were forced.

So all the stuff I'm talking about is because of lawsuits.

If P5 schools only had men's bball and football as the only two varsity sports, there would be no such thing as the argument that there wasn't enough money. That argument only exists because of the massive size of the varsity athletics depts.

Club sports are just as good for the lower revenue sports. Or heck, all sports can be clubs .... just some with HUGE budgets. Or at the very extreme end, football and MBB (and maybe a few others) can be completely independent, private organizations, that simply have a "name only" affiliation with the school. Rent the school's facilities, etc. but have their own independent budgets. That would bypass Title IX completely, because those private organizations would no long be apart of education institutions (which is in the language of the Title IX law).

If you're creative enough, there is always a way to force it to work.

Will players be allowed to follow their coach if he leaves for another school?

This is the one part of the "free transfer if your coach leaves" that I could see getting a little shady.

Will players be allowed to follow their coach if he leaves for another school?

This is the one part of the "free transfer if your coach leaves" that I could see getting a little shady.

Great question ! I know blocking that is being discussed because it can knock out a kid at a new school that picked the school. Of course as we move more towards guaranteed 4 year scholarships those exceptions would be protected. Nearly every recruit does pick the coach though. Much to work out.

Top Bottom