Marcus Carr Waiver: Appeal Announcement Expected Today (11/14)

I think that not only does this team get into the NCAA's but they get in as no worse than a 4 seed. Carr can use this to his advantage and by the end have a masters degree like so many others do at other programs. Disappointed but the roster is loaded .

I've got some maroon colored glasses too but haven't seen any news outlets or college bball sources project us in the ncaa's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sig. part of these waiver's are the applicant's academic progress and achievement. Speculating, but I'm guessing something academic held up the decision; and ultimately resulted in the denial.

Mark Smith was given the waiver after his transfer to Missouri. He left due to playing time. Carr’s situation involved a coach being fired and he doesn’t get it? The NCAA continues to find ways to make them look stupid.

Mark Smith was given the waiver after his transfer to Missouri. He left due to playing time. Carr’s situation involved a coach being fired and he doesn’t get it? The NCAA continues to find ways to make them look stupid.

Thats because apparently Underwood was ok with it whereas Pitt clearly wasn't.

A sig. part of these waiver's are the applicant's academic progress and achievement. Speculating, but I'm guessing something academic held up the decision; and ultimately resulted in the denial.

Marcus Carr was named to the all-ACC all-Academic team, so I doubt academics were a problem.

BS process. Not transparent enough and as a result, no one knows what to expect or why cases are approved sometimes and not others. The departing schools should have no say. The kid lost his coach. He, and everyone else who loses a coach should have a full set of options to play where they want.

I've got some maroon colored glasses too but haven't seen any news outlets or college bball sources project us in the ncaa's.

Andy Katz has us as an 8 seed, Jerry Palm has us as an 11. Lunardi doesn't even put us on the bubble.

CBSSports has Minnesota an 11 seed in their projections.

Regardless of whether or not they denied the waiver, it was a garbage move by a garbage organization to wait this long to decide.

Also, with or without him, this team absolutely should be a tourney team.

Looks like someone at Pitt got a wild hair up their rear in regards to this kid and called in favors to get his waiver sacked. Seems "House of Cards"-ish I know, but that's politics and just would not surprise me. My guess

Looks like someone at Pitt got a wild hair up their rear in regards to this kid and called in favors to get his waiver sacked. Seems "House of Cards"-ish I know, but that's politics and just would not surprise me. My guess

I’ve seen several people comment about Pitt having something to do with the denial. How would they have anything to do with this?

I’ve seen several people comment about Pitt having something to do with the denial. How would they have anything to do with this?

Maybe the NCAA was requesting more information from Pitt on Carr and they stalled and took longer to get back to the NCAA then they normally would have?

That would make sense as to why it took so long.

I don't really know, but there was talk that the reason Mark Smith was approved for immediate eligibility (no sick relative, no coaching change, not going closer to home, AND Illinois plays Missouri every year) was because Brad Underwood allowed it. Carr tweeted out a note earlier this evening, though it looks like it was deleted, about how he had built up a relationship with former Pitt coach Kevin Stallings over the two years of being recruited and eventually playing there, and said something about it being a toxic situation there after the firing, that it was emotionally taxing for him or something, maybe arguing that leaving Pitt was in the best interest of his mental well-being. Maybe Pitt/Jeff Capel are disputing the legitimacy of that claim, and thus the NCAA is hesitant about allowing him to play without sitting out.

I don't really know, but there was talk that the reason Mark Smith was approved for immediate eligibility (no sick relative, no coaching change, not going closer to home, AND Illinois plays Missouri every year) was because Brad Underwood allowed it. Carr tweeted out a note earlier this evening, though it looks like it was deleted, about how he had built up a relationship with former Pitt coach Kevin Stallings over the two years of being recruited and eventually playing there, and said something about it being a toxic situation there after the firing, that it was emotionally taxing for him or something, maybe arguing that leaving Pitt was in the best interest of his mental well-being. Maybe Pitt/Jeff Capel are disputing the legitimacy of that claim, and thus the NCAA is hesitant about allowing him to play without sitting out.

I saw that note too — it would be hard for me to believe that was made up. I wonder what the hell was going on over there.

If everything was good he wouldn’t have entertained leaving.

The Gophers have some quality players on this roster and may make the NCAA tournament. With that being said, they would be better with Carr. That was clear to anyone that attended the recent intrasquad scrimmage. I cringed when I read that Pitino was optimistic - typically bad news follows. It will be interesting to see if the appeal is successful. This team with strong guard play and a healthy Curry could be very good.

Speculation dude. Can't you read? If you're implying it was some sort of racial commentary on my part, you are a moron.

Still kind of a crappy thing to publicly speculate about a kid, that he has academic issues. Especially when the kid has won academic honors and had an offer from Vanderbilt.

Might have been better to lay off the speculation.

Still kind of a crappy thing to publicly speculate about a kid, that he has academic issues. Especially when the kid has won academic honors and had an offer from Vanderbilt.

Might have been better to lay off the speculation.

Sailed into the U with no theatrics so that alone should prove Marcus has a solid academic standing. Add in the all-ACC academic team and these arguments are WAY out there!

#freeMarcusCarr

Speculation dude. Can't you read? If you're implying it was some sort of racial commentary on my part, you are a moron.

Oh so if you put “speculation” on the front end of an idiotic comment you don’t have to own it?

You’re lazy, you hold some old timey stereotypes/prejudice and think you’re smarter than most. Speculation of course.

1. Brock Stull averaged 13 points a game playing over 30 minutes a game the past two years playing against solid D1 competition. When we got him, some people had him pegged starting OVER Dupree. Now, after 1 game, it's like he's viewed on a level with Brady Rudrud or Hunt Conroy. I don't get it.

2. I never said they were a "lock", but the OP said that WITH Carr, we had a "decent chance" just to make the NCAA. That's ludicrous.

If Curry comes back fine, we have our deepest team since the Haskins years. Even if he doesn't, this is a deeper team than we have had in a decade.

I really hope you're right.

1.Carr was denied because Pitt had to admit turmoil and dysfunction....they didnt. Mark Smith was accepted because Underwood okayed the hardship from Illinois.

2. Even without Carr this is as deep of team as I can recall. Last years starting 5, if all healthy, were good. However this is the deepest and most skilled. We can go 10 deep without worrying. Having Carr likely wont affect this years performance. Could but not likely.

3. Both Carr and Willis will be quality players. They both were at crappy teams before so numbers aren't exactly telling. Plus, Pitino seems to be doing well assessing transfers (NCAA, not Juco...squirrel)

The fact that you think this team is a lock to get to the tournament is what's wild.

I'm surprised, too, at the harshness of the response to what I posted. Either these people are insecure about how good the Gophers are, or I'm way off in my assessment of their chances (I'd classify them as an NCAA hopeful).

I'm surprised, too, at the harshness of the response to what I posted. Either these people are insecure about how good the Gophers are, or I'm way off in my assessment of their chances (I'd classify them as an NCAA hopeful).

I'm with you. People like Dan Barriero were saying to pump the brakes about expectations after one game.

My reply is to not bm look at the result of the game but to see the individual makeup and how they play. If you do, its obvious that this team has talent and is deep. Unless all the players regress from the skillset they showed us in that Omaha game (note:skill set, not production) then this team should definitely be an NCAA tournament team.

The Gophers have some quality players on this roster and may make the NCAA tournament. With that being said, they would be better with Carr. That was clear to anyone that attended the recent intrasquad scrimmage. I cringed when I read that Pitino was optimistic - typically bad news follows. It will be interesting to see if the appeal is successful. This team with strong guard play and a healthy Curry could be very good.

This.

The ncaa is picking winners and losers.

The Gophers may be quite a bit better with the addition of Carr. Quite. A. Bit.

#levleplayingfield

#excusesareforlosers

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

We can officially add Pitt and Jeff Capel to our list of teams to root against. Seems they are being pricks in this matter for no good reason.

They were already on the list. Capel went to UNC.

Top Bottom