Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    So you guys were against Michael Cohen & Paul Manafort having to hand over the assets they acquired with dirty money?
    Prior to conviction, yes. Unfortunately for you and them, they both pled guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    It would reduce it a significant %. Not 100%. I'm fine with legalizing most drugs.
    Youíre also a big fan of eminent domain. A real champion of rights. But come after me hard on something I oppose 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    You’re also a big fan of eminent domain. A real champion of rights. But come after me hard on something I oppose 100%.

The Trump wall. Anything that you hate about it? Going to oppose where it's planned to be built 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    Prior to conviction, yes. Unfortunately for you and them, they both pled guilty.
    So this post was about civil asset forfeiture prior to conviction?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    You’re also a big fan of eminent domain. A real champion of rights. But come after me hard on something I oppose 100%.

"Big fan"? Oh yeah, it's my favorite thing ever. It has its place, and the land owners are compensated. Asset forfeiture is not the same thing at all.

I only bought it up because if a Dem AG nominee championed this, you'd be outraged and instead we get silence and "wait and see" whenever the Trump Administration violates your principles of granite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    The Trump wall. Anything that you hate about it? Going to oppose where it's planned to be built 100%?
    2 hates eminent domain, so he can't be in favor of the Wall. Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    So this post was about civil asset forfeiture prior to conviction?
    Yeah, read up on on it:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...nd-trumps-wall

Civil asset forfeiture is the practice of law enforcement taking property from those suspected of illegal activity without ever necessarily charging them of a crime, let alone convicting them. Once seized, property alleged to be involved in a crime can then be permanently kept or sold by the government. It is very difficult (if not impossible) to get back, and law enforcement engaging in the practice is subject to little scrutiny, and victims rarely get their day in court to argue for the return of their possessions.

If that sounds like textbook abuse of government power, thatís because it is. Government seizure of property never to be returned is exactly the opposite of the liberty enshrined in the Constitution.

So naturally, thatís exactly what the chairman of the House Freedom Caucus, Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., is advocating.
    https://harvardlawreview.org/2018/06...w-enforcement/

While a lack of reporting requirements makes it difficult to fully account for its revenues, the Justice and Treasury departments alone received nearly $4.5 billion in forfeiture proceeds in 2014; individual states have taken in as much as $46 million in a single year from the practice.

It is therefore unsurprising that forfeiture is an attractive tool for law enforcement. This is particularly true of civil forfeiture. Compared to criminal forfeiture, civil forfeiture offers fewer procedural requirements. It does not necessitate a criminal conviction or confine forfeiture to property belonging to a given defen-dant.

Civil forfeitureís appeal has thus resulted in its heavy and problematic entanglement with criminal law enforcement.

"Big fan"? Oh yeah, it's my favorite thing ever. It has its place, and the land owners are compensated. Asset forfeiture is not the same thing at all.

I only bought it up because if a Dem AG nominee championed this, you'd be outraged and instead we get silence and "wait and see" whenever the Trump Administration violates your principles of granite.
    It has its place. Thatís just how things are for Howie. I like it. Iím gonna steal that.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    Hate? Iím not familiar with the building plans. Why are the eminent domain supporters opposing where it will be built? Do walls not work or is it inhumane?

It would reduce it a significant %. Not 100%. I'm fine with legalizing most drugs.
    Which drugs should not be legal?

Quote Originally Posted by BarnBurner View Post
    Which drugs should not be legal?
    Any and all drugs that are currently illegal should remain illegal (or unlegal as you might say). Particularly the recreational/addictive varieties.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~