Fleck/Brohm Philosophy Differences

Philosophy and culture are kinda empty words to me.

I'm not sure anyone really KNOWS what differences actually matter.

If you can inspire and coach up players that seems like it would matter more than what gets pointed at as philosophy or culture or whatever we pick to talk about next.

Philosophy and culture are kinda empty words to me.

I'm not sure anyone really KNOWS what differences actually matter.

If you can inspire and coach up players that seems like it would matter more than what gets pointed at as philosophy or culture or whatever we pick to talk about next.

Read the article....that's Brohm's philosophy.

After reading this article I think we are going to get smoked on Saturday. [emoji26]

Brohm has more Xs & Os experience with him and that shapes his approaches which appears to be very effective.

I am all for any "philosophy", "system", or gimmicks if they work.

I sincerely hope that PJ Fleck takes great care to develop even the less talented player on the team like Jerry Kill does with fundamentals in defense. He (Kill) missed the boat in developing the offense. But, that has to do with loyalty to his DC Limegrover, and the talent that he inherited especially at QB where they either not utilized Marquies Gray under Brewster trying him out as a TE. He had not worked at QB enough or had time to develop.

The point is PJ Fleck missed the boat with the Robb Smith hire like Jerry Kill hanging on to Limegrover.

So, let's see whose "philosophy" is more effective in the years to come. Maybe, the right approach is to be flexible and adaptable to the talent you have instead forcing a player into a "system" that he is not suited for.

Just my 2 cents.

Brohm has more Xs & Os experience with him and that shapes his approaches which appears to be very effective.

I am all for any "philosophy", "system", or gimmicks if they work.

I sincerely hope that PJ Fleck takes great care to develop even the less talented player on the team like Jerry Kill does with fundamentals in defense. He (Kill) missed the boat in developing the offense. But, that has to do with loyalty to his DC Limegrover, and the talent that he inherited especially at QB where they either not utilized Marquies Gray under Brewster trying him out as a TE. He had not worked at QB enough or had time to develop.

The point is PJ Fleck missed the boat with the Robb Smith hire like Jerry Kill hanging on to Limegrover.

So, let's see whose "philosophy" is more effective in the years to come. Maybe, the right approach is to be flexible and adaptable to the talent you have instead forcing a player into a "system" that he is not suited for.

Just my 2 cents.

At least PJ didn't hang with Smith as long as Jerry and Limegrover.... if there were things that gave me hope with TC, it was that he fired Limegrover...

Brohm said some things in that article that would get him smoked on this board.

I guess it depends what you mean by "work", at places like Minnesota and Purdue. Can either really ever be expected to maintain a high level of competitiveness against the Big Ten elite programs, going forward?

Then again, as I'm fond of saying, Wisconsin certainly did it. But what they have by now has established over quite a few seasons.

If you're winning (or improving) anything you say is great. If it is a super stupid thing then you're just an eccentric genius or something.

Losing... nothing you say is right. Say something and it's the wrong thing, say the opposite and it's the wrong thing too ;)

If you're winning (or improving) anything you say is great. If it is a super stupid thing then you're just an eccentric genius or something.

Losing... nothing you say is right. Say something and it's the wrong thing, say the opposite and it's the wrong thing too ;)

Here's to you Mike Leach :drink:

So you're saying Fleck's philosophy is to not inspire and coach up players?

and win now. If you read the article, that's exactly what Brohm says. He believes you build crediblility by winning early.

I can make that my philosophy ... doesn't mean my team would win games.

Brohm made it work at WKU and has done good things so far at Purdue.
If I were a player who was a Junior or Senior, I would be more receptive to his philosophy over that of PJ's

and win now. If you read the article, that's exactly what Brohm says. He believes you build crediblility by winning early.

And I'll never believe Fleck is actually purposely tanking games. Yes, he's building more for the future than today, and he has said that. But when you inherit a gutted roster with little depth, it's not easy to win now.

This was also in the article: Freshmen in 2018 depth chart: Purdue - 11, Minnesota: 32

They've both taken about the same number of JUCOs, so Brohm hasn't gone that route. Fleck didn't run off a bunch of upperclassmen that are having success elsewhere. The rosters that each inherited were very different, and Purdue's was setup more to win now.

And I'll never believe Fleck is actually purposely tanking games. Yes, he's building more for the future than today, and he has said that. But when you inherit a gutted roster with little depth, it's not easy to win now.

This was also in the article: Freshmen in 2018 depth chart: Purdue - 11, Minnesota: 32

They've both taken about the same number of JUCOs, so Brohm hasn't gone that route. Fleck didn't run off a bunch of upperclassmen that are having success elsewhere. The rosters that each inherited were very different, and Purdue's was setup more to win now.

I don't think anyone thinks he's tanking games a la the Timberwolves the year they had Mark Madsen take a bunch of 3 pointers one game.

I think for me where PJ has had some stubbornness is where he is not really playing to the current roster's strengths at the expense of losing games. I know PJ would say he wants them to learn the system so it will pay off in the future. I think he could be a little more flexible and play to our current strengths and then transition to his ideal system as the players come in.

Reminds me a little bit of when Mason had Cory Sauter run the option at QB. Possibly the greatest arm in Gopher history but also probably the slowest QB in history and he has him running the option...because he wanted us to be an option team.

Fleck has about 2 yrs or less to figure it out or the boat will be going elsewhere

Two interesting approaches. Brohm went for the wins and he netted a good recruiting class. AND Purdue is contending for the title now.

PJ Fleck is on a slow leaky boat rebuilding for the future. He's got to hurry up or he'd sink before he reaches the port.

Exactly. I didn't read it, but I bet they have much the same philosophy but teach/express it differently and use different words.

Two interesting approaches. Brohm went for the wins and he netted a good recruiting class. AND Purdue is contending for the title now.

PJ Fleck is on a slow leaky boat rebuilding for the future. He's got to hurry up or he'd sink before he reaches the port.

Brohm wants to move to another school as soon as possible. IMO.

Exactly. I didn't read it, but I bet they have much the same philosophy but teach/express it differently and use different words.

It's not a long read. I would suggest you check it out. I do not think they are the same philosophy. I personally like Brohm's approach but that's just me (Brohm's the guy I wanted because I like an X and O coach but he was already taken and we got the next best guy in my opinion in PJ). I do think that PJ's approach can work as well but he's going to get a lot of heat for it. There is of course the issue of patience and as someone pointed out a different number of freshmen in the 2 deeps. I really hope PJ can right the ship because I love how he wants to win big games and play for championships. Can't stand the "happy to be a in a bowl game" crowd...as Mas was.

I completely agree. We had no DLine. NONE. We took our best linebacker and had to make him a DE. And I'm still mad about it. The fact is, cry all you want about 9 wins, but there isn't a miracle maker alive that was going to win with the talent this team had coming back. No DLine, No Receivers, No QBs, defensive backfield kicked out of school, terrible offensive line, must I go on?

What is Tom Allen's view point on building a program?
He's also in his second year.

Brohm is a Bill Musselmen type. Try as hard as you can to win now, win tomorrow, and win forever. I loved that about Musselman when he was coaching the Timberwolves, and I love it about Brohm.

If I were a junior or senior on this team I would not love knowing that winning isn't the top priority of my coach for the rest of my playing career.

I wrote one of those long, brilliant, middle-of-the-night posts about this subject on Saturday night, but it disappeared from my phone when I tried to post it. Gosh, it was great. I wish you guys could have read my uber-brilliance. It would have blown your minds.

;)

He cares about Wins? What a looney bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've both taken about the same number of JUCOs, so Brohm hasn't gone that route. Fleck didn't run off a bunch of upperclassmen that are having success elsewhere. The rosters that each inherited were very different, <b>and Purdue's was setup more to win now.</b>

Yeah, that Purdue roster was just loaded with Talent waiting to go off for whoever came in. What were their talent Rankings again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom