Washington! Washington! Washington! Washington!

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Wow. He looked poised, under control, had vision. If he plays this way all season - we are in this sh!t. You heard it here first.

And I should quickly add: Oturu! Oturu! Oturu! Oturu! and... Gabe! Gabe! Gabe! Gabe! and... Omersa! Omersa! Omersa!

Imagine by the end of the season, heading into the final 6 games and then into March Madness. They will be killing!

Jelly dishing out dimes tonight. 11 assists.

Let's hope that Jelly keeps it up. With some scoring we have a player.

He was outstanding tonight. Nice to him with athletic bigs who can catch and finish. Matz missed a few easy ones too

Wow. He looked poised, under control, had vision. If he plays this way all season - we are in this sh!t. You heard it here first.

I thought the opposite, he looked great against UMD, he was bothered by the defensive pressure tonight, played better in the second half but the game was long over by then.

I thought the opposite, he looked great against UMD, he was bothered by the defensive pressure tonight, played better in the second half but the game was long over by then.
He had a moment with brain freeze, but after that he was solid. Was at the game.

Murphy looked disinterested

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just finished watching the highlights on youtube. Very impressive. He'd flip a pass and suddenly someone would be dunking, shooting a layup, or a wide open three. Really fun to watch a point guard who can see the game a step ahead.

You see just how effective Washington can be when he plays under control and his teammates actually can catch passes. The first alley-oop to Omersa was ridiculous, haven't seen that athleticism on the court in a while. And Stockman appears ready at all times when he's on the floor with him. How refreshing to have bigs that can catch guard feeds.

You see just how effective Washington can be when he plays under control and his teammates actually can catch passes. The first alley-oop to Omersa was ridiculous, haven't seen that athleticism on the court in a while. And Stockman appears ready at all times when he's on the floor with him. How refreshing to have bigs that can catch guard feeds.

My wife turns to me last night and says "why didn't the guys last year catch the pass and dunk it like Stockman does?" and I just laughed.

Washington is a guy that's probably always gonna take some less than ideal shots but you live with it when he's distributing and attacking. He's also a guy that can get hot and make a bunch of tough shots too. With that 2nd unit he'll be extremely valuable that way.

I thought Washington looked great. When the offense bogged down, he came in and the ball started moving. He got the young guys easy buckets. His shot was off, but I can live with that, since he wasn't forcing it as much. Plus, guys seem to love playing with him. His defense on ball isn't spectacular, but he does a great job of getting in passing lanes and getting steals. I think he's going to be a valuable player, and I suspect we'll see him starting by the end of the year.

I read that the Gophers had 18 turnovers last night. That's at least 10 too many if we're playing a better opponent. Utah beats us if we have 18 turnovers.
Washington had 10 assists, which is great. How many turnovers did he have? How many missed assignments on defense did he have?
Washington did not start the game. There must be a reason he is warming the bench.
I didn't see the game. We know what Washington does on offense. Pitino recruited him for a reason. How did his overall game look last night. Is the gushing going on in this thread legitimate? Someone who understands more than highlights, please speak up.

Washington from looked great! I like him coming in creating instant offense with some of the second unit guys. Just get rid of the white uniforms, will see increased turnovers on this white floor!

I read that the Gophers had 18 turnovers last night. That's at least 10 too many if we're playing a better opponent. Utah beats us if we have 18 turnovers.
Washington had 10 assists, which is great. How many turnovers did he have? How many missed assignments on defense did he have?
Washington did not start the game. There must be a reason he is warming the bench.
I didn't see the game. We know what Washington does on offense. Pitino recruited him for a reason. How did his overall game look last night. Is the gushing going on in this thread legitimate? Someone who understands more than highlights, please speak up.

Washington had 11 assists. He had 2 turnovers. This is very very good. Good enough that this ratio would have led the country last year, but people will still complain about the turnovers. (Nate Mason had a 2.77 A/TO ratio last season, 22nd in the country)

I posted my thoughts on him defensively in another thread. I do not know how many "missed assignments" he had on defense but I do not remember his man scoring. He was playing much better off the ball defense (proper help position, diving at driving players/swiping at the ball when bigs had it) and recovering to close on his man. But improved defensively over last year, at least through one game.

Also, he isn't warming the bench. He played 24 minutes, tied for the most on the team.

Last edited:

Washington had 11 assists. He had 2 turnovers. This is very very good. Good enough that this ratio would have led the country last year, but people will still complain about the turnovers. (Nate Mason had a 2.77 A/TO ratio last season, 22nd in the country)

I posted my thoughts on him defensively in another thread. I do not know how many "missed assignments" he had on defense but I do not remember his man scoring. He was playing much better off the ball defense (proper help position, diving at driving players/swiping at the ball when bigs had it) and recovering to close on his man. But improved defensively over last year, at least through one game.

Also, he isn't warming the bench. He played 24 minutes, tied for the most on the team.
Thanks for your input. I did not watch the game, but saw the highlights. One highlight showed him getting picked and Omaha scoring, which is why I asked.

I don’t have the stats handy, but this was not a grind out the shot clock kind of game that the badgers played in 2000. The 18 turnovers won’t look as bad if you consider the number of possessions.

As an aside, anyone know if turnovers per game have gone up since the shot clock was shortened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was there. The gushing is legitimate.

Everything seems relatively easy in the non conference at home in an up and down game. Then the big ten starts and its mostly about half court execution. 2 totally different worlds.

Excited we are playing well. Washington has to adjust from playground one on one stuff to team play and we will be a top 25 team. If not we will be up and down.

Everything seems relatively easy in the non conference at home in an up and down game. Then the big ten starts and its mostly about half court execution. 2 totally different worlds.

Excited we are playing well. Washington has to adjust from playground one on one stuff to team play and we will be a top 25 team. If not we will be up and down.

He really wasn't playing playground ball last night. He was moving the ball, getting in the lane, and finding the right pass.

He really wasn't playing playground ball last night. He was moving the ball, getting in the lane, and finding the right pass.

Of his 11 assists, I think 4 were for open 3s and 7 were uncontested dunks/layups.

He was beyond pathetic last year. I need to see some consistency to jump on this bandwagon. Let’s see him put up numbers against real completion

Nate Mason 2014-2015 per game stats: 26.1mpg, 8.5FGA, 9.8pts, 2.8 assists, 2.8 rebounds, 1.1 turnovers.

Isaiah Washington 2017-2018 per game stats: 20mpg, 8.7FGA, 8.7pts, 2.3 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 1.5 turnovers.

I mean, if Washington was "beyond pathetic" last year, I'm not positive that mason wasn't as a freshman also. He worked out OK, so I guess I'll give a kid more than 1 season. Mason did shoot .043% better than Washington (and much worse on free throws) in their freshman campaigns. But 6 extra minutes per game really didn't result in a lot more output.

Both teams were middling around .500, FWIW

Last edited:

Washington...

I was at the game last night also and Washington looked good, but this is Omaha, we won by 30, and most of his good play was in the second half. I like him and want him to do well, but I also want to see how he does come Big 10 play. I am cautiously optimistic. (I've probably been a Gopher fan too long.)

Thankfully we chased that bum Jones out of town, Washington is the man!

He was beyond pathetic last year. I need to see some consistency to jump on this bandwagon. Let’s see him put up numbers against real completion

He had a rough start lasy year no doubt. He clearly got better as the season went on. You want to see consistency against good competition? We all hope that happens, but a good indicator would be his last 9 big ten games where he averaged 14 points a game and averaged 1.3 turnovers. I would say the big ten is good competition wouldn't you? He got better and better last year with each game he played.

The reason I am excited about Isaiah is because he showed development that does not relate to the level of competition. So we can expect to see similar performances in the future, without regard to whom the competition is.

Last year, our concerns with Isaiah basically boiled down to two habits on the offensive end (setting aside defensive effort): (1) he had a propensity for dribbling "blindly" into the lane and then getting caught having to attempt an impossible finish or deliver an impossible pass; and (2) to jack up poor shots instead of moving the ball to get it in position for a high percentage shot.

Neither of those habits relate to the talent level of the competition. They relate to Isaiah, period.

What did we see against Omaha? He moved the ball into high-percentage situations. 11 assists! When he drove the lane, he did it in a way to move defenders - he looked some off - and then delivered the ball. (He also has big men who can catch a pass this year which obviously helps.) He did not jack up bad shots. In short, his game has matured. I understand that some nights his shot will be "on" and other nights it will be "off." Who cares? That's basketball. But what gets me excited is that his game has MATURED. And we can expect mature play night after night. And with mature play, given the talent surrounding him, we will see wins.

Isaiah's speed + handling + finishing ability + mature play = success. We KNOW he has the first three - he came to Minnesota with them. Now he has shown us the that he possesses maturity. Good times are ahead.

I was there. The gushing is legitimate.

I'll get more excited when we play tougher opponents. They are looking good right now though. Kind of like the pre-Big 10 games for Gopher football.

Top Bottom