Jamaal Teague - Reshirt burning

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Sounds like Jamaal will be burning his redshirt and he will play. Not just spot duty, but play, play. This according to PJ's press conference today.

He's not ready but he's needed.

I guess this means OJ Smith isn't ready to come back yet?

Considering how many prior concussions Smith has had and that he has been off the shelf for a few weeks now, I wouldn't be surprised if he retires from the game entirely

Fleck said their best 6 players were injured I think.

Rodney Smith
Winfield
Brooks
OJ
D Greene
Shenault?

Greene being out in the Illinois game quickly degraded the Gophers Offense. There is just not enough good team depth without burning additional red shirts.

Does anybody know how long Greene will be out or if he sustained a career ending injury? I sure hope OJ can come back.

What is going on with Chris Williamson? Did he play, or is he out with an injury?

Sounds like Jamaal will be burning his redshirt and he will play. Not just spot duty, but play, play. This according to PJ's press conference today.

He's not ready but he's needed.

Wonder if Umlor would help?

Yes they did, but the effort never stopped.

was-that-sarcasm-33337809.png

Greene being out in the Illinois game quickly degraded the Gophers Offense. There is just not enough good team depth without burning additional red shirts.

Does anybody know how long Greene will be out or if he sustained a career ending injury? I sure hope OJ can come back.

What is going on with Chris Williamson? Did he play, or is he out with an injury?

Williamson played sparingly, IMO he looked like one of the few guys that had a fire under his butt and wanted to be out there

Williamson logged 6 tackles Saturday, 1 tfl.
https://gophersports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=2027&path=football

Greene is concussion.
Sounds like he should be okay, but still in the protocol.

Sapp has already exceeded four games. I'd love to see him at safety at least a little bit this weekend. He simply can't be any worse.

Sapp has already exceeded four games. I'd love to see him at safety at least a little bit this weekend. He simply can't be any worse.

I am surprised he hasn't gotten time.
From that I can only assume he's not able to break the starting lineup, which would be sad right now.
Or a personal conflict maybe with a coach?

I assume you are talking Dunlap? Otherwise the only other freshman in the 2 deeps is York and I don't think he's played? Otherwise you have Oslund and Sassak neither of which are in danger of losing a redshirt since they both have used them. So I don't think it's an issue of burning shirts, I think it would be an issue of just not good enough team depth? That's the way I see it.

I am surprised he hasn't gotten time.
From that I can only assume he's not able to break the starting lineup, which would be sad right now.
Or a personal conflict maybe with a coach?

I have no inside info, but just wondering if he just isn't fast enough after all the knee problems.

It seems counterproductive to waste a year of eligibility on a possible 4-8 season when the player only played in 5 or 6 games. Malcolm Robinson must have no chance of seeing the field?

It seems counterproductive to waste a year of eligibility on a possible 4-8 season when the player only played in 5 or 6 games. Malcolm Robinson must have no chance of seeing the field?

When you have no other options, that's what you're left with. But i've been wondering about Malcolm Robinson myself. Maybe he's also battling an injury? One thing I noticed is that he looks very lean for a DT, regardless of his listed weight. Looks like he could add another 20 lbs.

When you have no other options, that's what you're left with. But i've been wondering about Malcolm Robinson myself. Maybe he's also battling an injury? One thing I noticed is that he looks very lean for a DT, regardless of his listed weight. Looks like he could add another 20 lbs.

What about Umlor and Hickox or Novak-Goar? Neither Umlor or Novak-Goar have seen the field yet this year and Hickox has already used his redshirt season.

What about Umlor and Hickox or Novak-Goar? Neither Umlor or Novak-Goar have seen the field yet this year and Hickox has already used his redshirt season.

Maybe Teague is the better option? Size isn't an issue with him, he's bigger than the other 3 you mentioned. Teague was also a pretty highly regarded recruit. Hickox has played in several games.

When you're rebuilding, you burn redshirts if you have to. I'm just surprised they haven't used him more earlier in the season. OJ has been out for some time.

Sam Renner has played a lot and I assume will continue to do so. Same for Royal. I wonder if Gary Moore is battling something, or perhaps in a bit of a slump, and will be losing reps to Teague? He's a senior, and so he can't really help this team much going forward. If he doesn't make a huge difference on the field, then I absolutely would start giving more of his reps to Teague. My opinion ... and I'm not saying bench him.

When you're rebuilding, you burn redshirts if you have to. I'm just surprised they haven't used him more earlier in the season. OJ has been out for some time.

Sam Renner has played a lot and I assume will continue to do so. Same for Royal. I wonder if Gary Moore is battling something, or perhaps in a bit of a slump, and will be losing reps to Teague? He's a senior, and so he can't really help this team much going forward. If he doesn't make a huge difference on the field, then I absolutely would start giving more of his reps to Teague. My opinion ... and I'm not saying bench him.

Moore, Renner, Teague, and Silver are listed on the depth chart.

Maybe Teague is the better option? Size isn't an issue with him, he's bigger than the other 3 you mentioned. Teague was also a pretty highly regarded recruit. Hickox has played in several games.

That is probably true as he does have more size than those three. Hickox has played in only 4 games, no D stats, with last being Nebraska, so I would guess he hasn't played much.
It's not like any of the D-Line who have played are forces right now, so giving some others a shot in a game couldn't be any worse...or could it?

But i've been wondering about Malcolm Robinson myself. Maybe he's also battling an injury? One thing I noticed is that he looks very lean for a DT, regardless of his listed weight. Looks like he could add another 20 lbs.

Have him hang out with me for a couple months. ;)

JTG

Moore, Renner, Teague, and Silver are listed on the depth chart.

Sure ... so that means only a 3-man rotation at interior DL, since OJ has been out? That seems like a bit much for those big body guys. They could get tired pretty easily. Not saying that throwing Teague in there for significantly more reps will solve anything.

Was any other interior DL (ie a "big" guy, 280lbs or more) getting significant reps, since OJ has been out?? We have other guys on the roster ...

Here are the other "big" (280lbs or bigger) on the roster:

Jack Kern - true freshman - 6-2 300 - Eau Claire
Malcolm Robinson - RS freshman - 6-3 300 - Massillon, Ohio
Nate Umlor - true sophomore - 6-5 285 - Allendale, Mich
Noah Hickcox - RS freshman - 6-4 285 - Rockford, Ill
Connor Novak-Goar - RS sophomore - 6-2 285 - Eden Prairie (Iowa Western CC)
Victor White - RS sophomore - 6-4 290 - St Paul (Concordia St Paul)

White is sitting out this year for transfer, but all the others I assume are available (though guessing Kern is redshirting this year). I know they wanted to redshirt Umlor ... but they also wanted to redshirt Teague, so ....

Here are the other "big" (280lbs or bigger) on the roster:

Jack Kern - true freshman - 6-2 300 - Eau Claire
Malcolm Robinson - RS freshman - 6-3 300 - Massillon, Ohio
Nate Umlor - true sophomore - 6-5 285 - Allendale, Mich
Noah Hickcox - RS freshman - 6-4 285 - Rockford, Ill
Connor Novak-Goar - RS sophomore - 6-2 285 - Eden Prairie (Iowa Western CC)
Victor White - RS sophomore - 6-4 290 - St Paul (Concordia St Paul)

White is sitting out this year for transfer, but all the others I assume are available (though guessing Kern is redshirting this year). I know they wanted to redshirt Umlor ... but they also wanted to redshirt Teague, so ....

Umlor hasn't seen the field this season according the Gopher Ind. Game Stats, so he can play in these last three games and still retain his RS. Since Novak-Goar and Hickox have used an RS already not sure why they can't be in the rotation as well.

If only I could help these kids .... I can put on weight easy!

Agree. I'd put Umlor in there or just roll with some of the other guys mentioned. It's a lost season - might as well get Teague another year of free college, let him get going on his masters degree.

Top Bottom