Fleck on Gopher Football Weekly - KFAN

You don't understand?

It's pretty easy. He's been the Head Coach for 15 Big Ten games. He's only won 3 of them while giving-up 30+ plus points 12 times. Strong possibility that by the end of the year his Big Ten record will be 3-15.

I give him all the credit in the world for trying to shake things up and not be blown-out in those last 3 games. However, to expect the majority of Gopher Fans to be happy about the situation and be satisfied with watching them get blown-out for another 2-3 years is insane.

Particularly those who've actually shelled-out the money for Season Tickets and are sitting in TCF to watch those debacles.

Well, to expect wins over Washington State annually is too much to ask.

Well, to expect two Big Ten wins annually is too much to ask.

Evidently.

Or wins against Iowa, Maryland, Purdue, tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State, NW or Wisconsin. Though they did get 1 out of 2 against Illinois and Nebraska.

Evidently.

Or wins against Iowa, Maryland, Purdue, tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State, NW or Wisconsin. Though they did get 1 out of 2 against Illinois and Nebraska.

Yes, well, we've all been a little disappointed with the lack of wins, but some more than others.

Frustration = Expectations - Results

Yes, well, we've all been a little disappointed with the lack of wins, but some more than others.

Frustration = Expectations - Results

You didn't expect them to win more than one Big Ten game this year?

Me? Was a big fan of what Fleck did at WMU particularly his game time decisions. That's the most disapointing thing.

Last edited:

Judging from what Barry Alvarez did at Wiscy, it is a long four to 5-year cycles with him standing hos ground from critics and doing it his way. He got rid of whiners, complainers, people not willing to put in the hard work. He instituted a regimented disciplined practice and recruited players who wanted to play for Wisconsin. He instilled a winning mentality.

Here's what Barry Alvarez did in his first ten years at Wisconsin:

1990 Wisconsin 1–10-----------0–8------10th
1991 Wisconsin 5–6------------2–6-------T–8th
1992 Wisconsin 5–6------------3–5-------T–6th
1993 Wisconsin 10–1–1-------6–1–1-----T–1st W Rose 5 6
1994 Wisconsin 7–4–1---------4–3–1----4th W Hall of Fame
1995 Wisconsin 4–5–2---------3–4–1----T–7th
1996 Wisconsin 8–5------------3–5-------7th W Copper
1997 Wisconsin 8–5------------5–3-------5th L Outback
1998 Wisconsin 11–1----------7–1--------T–1st W Rose† 5 6
1999 Wisconsin 10–2----------7–1--------1st W Rose† 4 4

The whole point is PJ Fleck has a long road and he needs to raise the bar for excellence for both coaches and players. He needs a thick skin and recruit like crazy. Also, he needs to make sure his coaches are doing what it takes to develop players and coach them properly. I wish he was recruit Carroll and Benhart. It is not just time yet to be able to attract gems like them. But, there hopefully be a time that once his team starts winning that recruiting will be even better. The important thing is player development. They've got to emphasize fundamentals.

Interesting that Donna Schala was the President at Wisconsin during the 1991 - 1993 years when she told BA, “I want a winner”. Do what ever it takes! Entrance requirements be dammed, win. Will PJ get the same response here? Doubtful, the Star Trip would go bonkers, the liberals would picket the U.

I was 100% "all in" with Fleck when he was hired. I'm now probably 75%. I see the talent increasing and am sill mostly confident the program will succeed, but I'm not sure -- and I don't think anybody except Fleck himself would tell you they're totally sure. It's HARD for me to watch my favorite team get pounded in embarrassing fashion...I hate it. But I DO see where Fleck is coming from. I'm not defending him -- maybe just translating?

1) He's not willing to bring in 5 - 10 JUCO guys to plug holes...he'd rather use the scholarships on a Freshman who can help in 3 years.
2) He's not willing to change his system every week to fit the current talent in order to "fool" other teams and eek out 1 or 2 more wins...
3) ..instead, he wants to slowly install systems he thinks can win a championship 3 years from now and let the young kids grow into them.
4) He doesn't think the current talent can win a championship. Since that's his main goal, he'll continue focusing on recruiting talent and installing systems. He wants to win (obviously), but he won't sacrifice points 1 - 3 for a win.

I'm not defending him. I don't know if he'll succeed. I don't know if he's a very good football coach or could eek out 1 or 2 more wins even if he wanted to...I have no idea. I'm just trying to explain what I believe he's thinking.

Again,

I was 100% "all in" with Fleck when he was hired. I'm now probably 75%. I see the talent increasing and am sill mostly confident the program will succeed, but I'm not sure -- and I don't think anybody except Fleck himself would tell you they're totally sure. It's HARD for me to watch my favorite team get pounded in embarrassing fashion...I hate it. But I DO see where Fleck is coming from. I'm not defending him -- maybe just translating?

1) He's not willing to bring in 5 - 10 JUCO guys to plug holes...he'd rather use the scholarships on a Freshman who can help in 3 years.
2) He's not willing to change his system every week to fit the current talent in order to "fool" other teams and eek out 1 or 2 more wins...
3) ..instead, he wants to slowly install systems he thinks can win a championship 3 years from now and let the young kids grow into them.
4) He doesn't think the current talent can win a championship. Since that's his main goal, he'll continue focusing on recruiting talent and installing systems. He wants to win (obviously), but he won't sacrifice points 1 - 3 for a win.

I'm not defending him. I don't know if he'll succeed. I don't know if he's a very good football coach or could eek out 1 or 2 more wins even if he wanted to...I have no idea. I'm just trying to explain what I believe he's thinking.

Again,

I’d have more faith if he were an older coach who had used his system to build winners at more than one stop.
What he thinks will build a winner in the MAC but he hasn’t proven his system will in the BIG or any P5 program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d have more faith if he were an older coach who had used his system to build winners at more than one stop.
What he thinks will build a winner in the MAC but he hasn’t proven his system will in the BIG or any P5 program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What successful P5 coach would come here? Minnesota is considered a lower tier P5 job. If you want someone who has proven success at this level, they'd likely be taking a demotion.

Unless a coach turns this into more of a destination job, we're always going to be hiring a up and coming lower tier head coach, or a top assistant from a P5 staff.

What successful P5 coach would come here? Minnesota is considered a lower tier P5 job. If you want someone who has proven success at this level, they'd likely be taking a demotion.

Unless a coach turns this into more of a destination job, we're always going to be hiring a up and coming lower tier head coach, or a top assistant from a P5 staff.

Sad, but true.

Again,
Well said.

+1

I don't understand how people get so upset with Fleck.

The last game coached before he won was the 2016 Holiday Bowl over Washington State.

The only place to go from there was downward.

I read this board occasionally and I still can't figure out if this guy is a bit or not.

That’s the ADs job. Figure it out. Bunch a babies on here whining that no big name winner will come here ....jeez

That’s the ADs job. Figure it out. Bunch a babies on here whining that no big name winner will come here ....jeez

Bunch of babies on here can't be patient to let a new coach recruit and get more than a dozen of his own players on the field.

1-8 would be a horrendous disappointment. Fortunately, we've still got games to play and that record isn't a certainty yet.

On his weekly program he really rolled back the expectations and basically said this program was a rebuild from where things were. Seems as if he and Coyle were in agreement on that from the start and PJ has said he's been consistent the whole time on this we would get younger, then younger yet, before we started getting better. It will be built around the 2018 and 2019 classes.

Right now for the record, we are at the first "younger". Next year will be the second "younger".

So by the time the 2019 class are redshirt juniors, that would be... 2019, 2020, 2021,... 2022.

He also said if they were going to go the JUCO route, they would have needed about 20 (or 22) JUCO players to plug the holes in the meantime and he wasn't going to do that.

BS. Worse, insulting BS.

Bottom line is he needs to hope his players are as good as he thinks or he’s gone in 4 years. Not 5, not 6 unless he’s showing big signs of improvement.

Kill won 8 games in 2013 and won the fan base. Alvarez won 10 and a Rose Bowl by year 4. Brohm has defeated Iowa twice and Ohio State and is in the running for the West in year 2 despite the worst recruiting classes in the Big Ten prior to his arrival.

Many of which do not fit this system and I've said this a number of times, those players are or should be playing LB.

Well based on the fact the DC got canned, pretty apparent the system didn't fit by any definition.

BS. Worse, insulting BS.

Bottom line is he needs to hope his players are as good as he thinks or he’s gone in 4 years. Not 5, not 6 unless he’s showing big signs of improvement.

Kill won 8 games in 2013 and won the fan base. Alvarez won 10 and a Rose Bowl by year 4. Brohm has defeated Iowa twice and Ohio State and is in the running for the West in year 2 despite the worst recruiting classes in the Big Ten prior to his arrival.
+1

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom