All Time Recruiting

WR graveyard in that list, Bateman looks to be bucking that trend though.

Lot of busts, a few guys that never got a chance to show what they could do because of injury (Gjere, Owens, Maresh), and some good players. Definitely more misses then hits overall in regards to the guys that are not on the roster anymore.

And scrolling down to 100 there is a shocking lack of QBs that actually played the position and were successful.

Hmm, almost makes you question how valid recruiting rankings are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any Grandma can pick a 5 star and maybe a 4 star. Beyond that, you need a good coach to pick'em. Sure, a team of 5 and 4 stars has a good potential to be good. Stars in the end mean nothing to a staff that can coach. See Wisconsin, Iowa....they get their share of "high" stars but with elite coaching, they win with the same talent we have.

So many guys in that top 25 that were just duds.

Jeff Jones, Hayo Carpenter, and Andre McDonald were all huge disappointments. Jeff Jones was electrifying and I thought McDonald was going to be Michael Floyd 2.0.

So many guys in that top 25 that were just duds.

Jeff Jones, Hayo Carpenter, and Andre McDonald were all huge disappointments. Jeff Jones was electrifying and I thought McDonald was going to be Michael Floyd 2.0.

He wat?

I'll continue to take classes like Alabama signs over any past class we've signed.
That's just me and I'm kind of one of those guys who think rankings can be an indicator of future results.

I'll continue to take classes like Alabama signs over any past class we've signed.
That's just me and I'm kind of one of those guys who think rankings can be an indicator of future results.
Scary thing is our 2019 class is 12 or 13 in big ten avg star ratings.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Scary thing is our 2019 class is 12 or 13 in big ten avg star ratings.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Or you could say it's the best or second best class we've had in the internet rankings era.
Funny how you decided to go negative spin with that while being a Gopher fan.

Or you could have taken the "rankings don't matter" angle and instead specified what areas of need we have, and what areas the next class is heavy in. (Defensive Line) and said, despite the rankings, we might have some candidates to "coach 'em up" that fit our areas of need.

But, you chose to choose a negative angle, and that's fine. Gopher football has a good amount of negative fans right now.

What's funny is when talking about recruiting in the last two years, the negative Gopher fans haven't said much about the classes and how some players might be able to get "coached up". Evidently that can't happen here anymore no matter who the coordinators are because somehow that ended and isn't possible anymore according to the negative Gopher fans.

Last edited:

The Gophers need to focus on player development like Wisconsin has done since the Alvarez Era. Jerry Kill was doing a great job at rebuilding the team like that until his health became a distraction and an issue.

If Fleck can start winning more games, he has the charisma and chutzpah to surprise us with key recruiting victories.

Face the Facts: You could also face the facts and look at on field results. Fleck won at W. Michigan in part due to his 3 full classes were ranked #1, #2, and #1 in the MAC. Thus, he had talent and was able to do something with it. So far, at the U, he has shown that he and his staff aren't capable of beating teams without talent. In fact, they've been beaten with teams of similar or worse talent, according to the rankings.

Thus, GREAT! He currently has the 3rd highest group in internet history. However, everyone else in the B1G appears to be getting better players (per avg. star ranking) and getting better talent too leaving the U as bottom feeders in the conf. Consequently, many of us combine the lack of coaching success with equal or less talent coming in (once again...according to the rankings) and are very concerned about the future.

Qualifier: I do like the skill I see on offense. I hope they continue to develop and hope the line can develop as well. I see potential.

Face the Facts: You could also face the facts and look at on field results. Fleck won at W. Michigan in part due to his 3 full classes were ranked #1, #2, and #1 in the MAC. Thus, he had talent and was able to do something with it. So far, at the U, he has shown that he and his staff aren't capable of beating teams without talent. In fact, they've been beaten with teams of similar or worse talent, according to the rankings.

Thus, GREAT! He currently has the 3rd highest group in internet history. However, everyone else in the B1G appears to be getting better players (per avg. star ranking) and getting better talent too leaving the U as bottom feeders in the conf. Consequently, many of us combine the lack of coaching success with equal or less talent coming in (once again...according to the rankings) and are very concerned about the future.

Qualifier: I do like the skill I see on offense. I hope they continue to develop and hope the line can develop as well. I see potential.

Sounds like you are making the assessment he won't be able to out-coach teams after he has coached 20 some games with talent that he didn't recruit. If you want to make that judgement, great. I'm not willing to draw that conclusion at this point which is why I'm more hopeful for the future. We could argue game by game which teams had more talent, but when you start a freshman QB for two years in a row, (and not a high ranked one) I'm going to be more patient than you.

Coaches probably do their best outcoaching other great coaches when their schemes, players, and coaches are aligned.

Future looks bright to me.
Some Gopher fans seem more anxious to scrap things, or to undermine PJ's coaching style, and start begging for the next head coach assuming that will be better.

Better to under-promise and over-deliver than to over-promise and under-deliver.

Fleck was sold as a hot-shot recruiter.

Right or wrong, fair or not, at least some fans expected Fleck to bring in a caliber of recruits that was clearly better than previous coaches. There has been improvement - but probably not as much as people hoped for or expected. If you hire a new salesman, and he tells you he'll boost your sales 10% - and in fact he boosts sales 5% - well, that's improvement - but not the improvement you thought you were promised.

So, in my book, better to promise 4% growth and provide 5% than to promise 10% and provide 5%. It's the same growth either way, but the perception is different. and perception matters when that perception impacts ticket sales and public opinion.

Better to under-promise and over-deliver than to over-promise and under-deliver.

Fleck was sold as a hot-shot recruiter.

Right or wrong, fair or not, at least some fans expected Fleck to bring in a caliber of recruits that was clearly better than previous coaches. There has been improvement - but probably not as much as people hoped for or expected. If you hire a new salesman, and he tells you he'll boost your sales 10% - and in fact he boosts sales 5% - well, that's improvement - but not the improvement you thought you were promised.

So, in my book, better to promise 4% growth and provide 5% than to promise 10% and provide 5%. It's the same growth either way, but the perception is different. and perception matters when that perception impacts ticket sales and public opinion.

What were these people expecting?

Top 10 classes stealing players from Alabama, Clemson, and OSU right out of the gate?
Or simply top 25 classes?

We went from consistently in the 60's to in the 30's or 40's, and WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THEM PLAY.

Edit:
And half the players we have seen play have won rookie / freshman of the week!
This is maddening.

I expected them give 4 year scholarships to positions besides a long snapper.

I also expected them to keep pace with peers--not to fall behind them.

I expected them to get as many or more 4 star recruits (or better) than Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and Indiana--not less.

They better be keen on in person evaluations like the way they "discovered" Rashod Bateman.

As far as Offensive Linemen, I don't how lucky they'll get like the Faalele -Dunlop coup. They should look hard in their own backyard and see if they can develop talent that gets lost to NDSU, Wyoming, Wisconsin, and so forth. Offensive Linemen don 't grow on trees. If they can get them to play as PWOs, maybe the talent depth will improve.

He has to be very astute who offer scholarships to. I mean to Long Snappers and even punters. Those can be used for extra Linemen.

They better be keen on in person evaluations like the way they "discovered" Rashod Bateman.

As far as Offensive Linemen, I don't how lucky they'll get like the Faalele -Dunlop coup. They should look hard in their own backyard and see if they can develop talent that gets lost to NDSU, Wyoming, Wisconsin, and so forth. Offensive Linemen don 't grow on trees. If they can get them to play as PWOs, maybe the talent depth will improve.

He has to be very astute who offer scholarships to. I mean to Long Snappers and even punters. Those can be used for extra Linemen.

Yep, give those to walk-ons that earn the job. Then you don't get, "we'd love to have this guy, but we don't have room b/c we gave a 4 year scholly to a bleeping long snapper."

Yep, give those to walk-ons that earn the job. Then you don't get, "we'd love to have this guy, but we don't have room b/c we gave a 4 year scholly to a bleeping long snapper."

Meanwhile our current long snapper has been on scholarship for 3 years. I'm sure that extra year he wasn't on scholarship has made all the difference. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile our current long snapper has been on scholarship for 3 years. I'm sure that extra year he wasn't on scholarship has made all the difference. :rolleyes:

It allowed them to bring in one more recruit for that class and give him a scholly of someone that was lost through attrition which will happen.

It allowed them to bring in one more recruit for that class and give him a scholly of someone that was lost through attrition which will happen.

Or maybe they would have lost that extra player to attrition. Or maybe that long snapper wouldn't have came here without a scholarship. Regardless your long-snapper is generally going to eat up one of the 85 scholarships.

I also expected them to keep pace with peers--not to fall behind them.

I expected them to get as many or more 4 star recruits (or better) than Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and Indiana--not less.
So you are in the bucket that stars matter.

So you are in the bucket that stars matter.

Yes, when I see that the coaching and development may be suspect.

Get me excited about a competitive team or give me hope about the future through recruiting that's exciting. I did like last year's class, but this year's class appears underwhelming much like this year's on field production. Consequently, I'm not excited about the lack of competitiveness, and I'm not excited about the '19 class.

Top Bottom