swingman

Reaction score
how many snaps did Brevyn get?

Teague has played 4 so can't play again to retain red-shirt
Aune can play in 3 more
Ahanotu can play in 3 more
Oliver can play 2 more games

Has the Riegelsperger kid played?

Pretty sure his last name means Royal Asparagus.

I think Oliver was the player PJ had expected very early on to play significantly this year, but he hasn't.

Why has Sapp played special teams but nothing else?

That's a good question. I've wondered if it has something to do with all the injuries. Sounds like he is a safety and maybe will play a lot next year at safety with Huff graduating.

36 players have played in all 9 games.
3 are the kicker, holder/punter, and long snapper.

So 33 position players or special teams have played all 9 games.

10 Freshmen
7 Sophomores
11 Juniors
5 Seniors

So 85% of guys who have played every game will be back. Add injured guys, redshirts, and true freshmen and there will be a lot of competition and more depth.

I think there is a 50% chance Spann-Ford ends up at DE next season.

Your percentage seems about right. IMO much will depend on keeping the rather deep class of defensive lineman coming in 2019. Slippage there increases the percentage.

I sure hope not.

Why not?

It's a more important position (IMO), he has an ideal frame for it, and he was pretty impressive in HS as a DE.

We just don't run an offense that utilizes the TE very much in the passing game. That may change, I get that. But for the most part, TE's in our system have been blockers.

I'm sure he'd be a good TE too, it's just way more important to have good DEs.

I'm guessing they need his speed on coverage units

Why has Sapp played special teams but nothing else?

Would be my assumption that they are using his speed on the coverage teams as a safety valve. The rabbit, kind of like the last line of defense to chase things down from behind.
They must like his natural athleticism and speed to play him on special teams but maybe do not trust him yet in coverage.
Could also be they think he can play, will not be here more than 4 years(player doesn't want to redshirt) and they are trying to lay off the snaps because he is coming off the two significant ACL injury's in high school.
He is supposed to be one of the fastest players but he is a bit small probably not ready for the pounding in the Big 10 yet.

Has Grey shirt DT 6' 4" DT Logan Richter enrolled in class? I don't know how that works if he is enrolled this Fall Semester.

Yes except if they move him there I do not think he will stay. He only came here for the opportunity to play TE. That dude wants the ball in his hands.

Fleck spoke very highly of Spann-Ford on his radio show recently saying he thinks he'll be a special player here. I assume he meant as a TE?

To your point though, we have an abundance of talented, underclassmen receivers / TEs (what a nice problem to have for a change!), with more on the way in the 2019 class.

Next year, Bateman, CA-B, and Douglas will all still just be sophs. BS-F, Gibson, and Manns (who the staff also supposedly really likes) will be RS FR. Then we have Adim-Madumere and Brown-Stephens committed in the 2019 class. (to my knowledge, Wiley and Potts were both recruited as RBs, and Udoibok is greyshirting.)

That's a lot of pass catchers, and not enough footballs to go around for everyone, IMO. I would not be surprised to see one or more change positions if they're athletic enough to help us at another spot.

Why not?

It's a more important position (IMO), he has an ideal frame for it, and he was pretty impressive in HS as a DE.

We just don't run an offense that utilizes the TE very much in the passing game. That may change, I get that. But for the most part, TE's in our system have been blockers.

We don’t have an athletic pass catching TE in the offense. If it’s not part of the offense it should be IMO. Do we not utilize tight ends because of our options, or they are philosophically opposed? Mismatch, great hands, athletic.

We have some developing guys at DE and some young guys that are promising redshirting and commits.

Ultimately it’s obviously up to the coaches on what they want to do and where the highest needs are but as I’d like to see Douglas return to defense (DB obviously a position of great need) I’d like to see Spann-Ford on offense where he could be a difference maker.

Yes except if they move him there I do not think he will stay. He only came here for the opportunity to play TE. That dude wants the ball in his hands.

I doubt he'd transfer. You always hear that from offensive guys (even Hageman), if a coach sits you down and tells you that your best bet to play in the NFL is to play DE, I don't think he'll go.

I'm not saying he will, this is all just a hunch, but I would be really surprised if he transferred as a result as a position change.

We don’t have an athletic pass catching TE in the offense. If it’s not part of the offense it should be IMO. Do we not utilize tight ends because of our options, or they are philosophically opposed? Mismatch, great hands, athletic.

We have some developing guys at DE and some young guys that are promising redshirting and commits.

Ultimately it’s obviously up to the coaches on what they want to do and where the highest needs are but as I’d like to see Douglas return to defense (DB obviously a position of great need) I’d like to see Spann-Ford on offense where he could be a difference maker.

I don't mean this as an insult to PJ's offense, but he just has never utilized TEs in the passing game. They are more like another OL and are almost always kept in to block. I actually don't mind it at all and I think it's a role where Spann-Ford could play well, he is a big, athletic, physical guy, so he'd have success in that role. I think adding in the dimension of a pass-catching TE would be a pretty big change for our offense. I think it's a bigger change than it might seem.

Either way, I understand the argument on both sides.

As for Douglas, it'll be interesting. I think he stays at WR, but I could see the argument for moving him to CB. I thought his HS highlights were more impressive on defense than on offense.

Why not?

Agree 100%, he should also be playing right now.

On his weekly radio show, Fleck just sang the praises of Spann-Ford again.
Really likes him, but he'll be a redshirt Freshman next year.

I don't mean this as an insult to PJ's offense, but he just has never utilized TEs in the passing game. They are more like another OL and are almost always kept in to block. I actually don't mind it at all and I think it's a role where Spann-Ford could play well, he is a big, athletic, physical guy, so he'd have success in that role. I think adding in the dimension of a pass-catching TE would be a pretty big change for our offense. I think it's a bigger change than it might seem.

Either way, I understand the argument on both sides.

As for Douglas, it'll be interesting. I think he stays at WR, but I could see the argument for moving him to CB. I thought his HS highlights were more impressive on defense than on offense.

Yeah, fair enough. I personally feel based off nothing more than a hudl, so a hefty grain of salt, he could be a weapon we don’t have and tweaking the offense to a player like that may yield dividends. Will see what happens.

Top Bottom