Poll - What do you expect from the defense over the next three weeks?

What do you expect from the defense over the next three weeks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

When Brewster was fired in 2010, it took Horton a couple of weeks to restore/instill some sense of order-discipline-organization-hope. Two memorable wins concluded that season. Rossi just has three games, but maybe he can do something along these lines to at least get the defense to make the basic plays.

Here's what I think can happen - very limited things you can do with Rossi in as interim DC:

1. Establish better communication between the Defensive Linemen and Defensive backs.
2. Slightly better reads on defensive calls.
3. Somewhat better positioning & discipline.
4. Mitigate the total amount of points scored against.
5. More focus on fundamentals in tackling, angles, slightly better gap integrity, etc...

The important thing is to not turn it into routs. I think that is the best that we can hope for.

At some point in time, these players will fight like wounded animals with pride even in the losing campaigns.

As the old adage goes, the best defense is the one on the sideline cheering on their offense. If we get into the “cha, cha “ offense, that is 1,2,3 punt,1,2,3 punt, we ‘re in trouble. Regardless who is calling defensive signals.

If they bench Howden at Free safety, the defense will play better. He isn't ready to play right now.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

40+ ppg against, as per usual.

I looked up the preseason thread where posters predicted how the gophs would finish the season. A lot of the same posters here were predicting 8-9 wins and stated 5-6 wins would be a disappointment.

I looked up the preseason thread where posters predicted how the gophs would finish the season. A lot of the same posters here were predicting 8-9 wins and stated 5-6 wins would be a disappointment.

I predicted a range of 4-8 to 8-4.

I think I said 4-8 or 5-7

I voted for "some changes, notably better," but I think the improvement will be more "somewhat" than "notable." The personnel is the personnel, so all that can be tinkered with this year is the scheme and the way it's taught. Hopefully Rossi is more apt in this regard than whatshisname.

JTG

in all fairness, it won't take much to be noteably better, but we got better yesterday when Smith was excused.

Here's what I think can happen - very limited things you can do with Rossi in as interim DC:

1. Establish better communication between the Defensive Linemen and Defensive backs.
2. Slightly better reads on defensive calls.
3. Somewhat better positioning & discipline.
4. Mitigate the total amount of points scored against.
5. More focus on fundamentals in tackling, angles, slightly better gap integrity, etc...

The important thing is to not turn it into routs. I think that is the best that we can hope for.

At some point in time, these players will fight like wounded animals with pride even in the losing campaigns.

I hope they play like wounded animals, but last year the staff lost the team and they rolled over and played dead the last two weeks.

Honest question, at what point can we start expecting wins? 8-4 or 9-3 type of seasons?

Do we ever get to have that expectation?

I think if we don't make a bowl game next year Fleck could likely be fired. Missing a bowl again would probably guarantee attendance figures under 30,000 for all games and I'm not sure Coyle will keep his job if that happens. Even Brewster, widely regarded here by many as the worst football coach ever, made a bowl in 2 of his first 3 years.

I predicted a range of 4-8 to 8-4.

I think I was in there somewhere too.

And despite that being my prediction I think I was thinking of an entirely different situation.

I did not expect the defense to turn to jello.

I did not expect the offense to be this promising.

So maybe I'll be right about Ws.... but way wrong about everything else.

Honest question, at what point can we start expecting wins? 8-4 or 9-3 type of seasons?

Do we ever get to have that expectation?

I think beginning of the year I said something like:

2018: 4-8 / 5-7
2019: 6-6 / 7-5
2020: 8-4 / 9-3 or so

Offense has been slightly better than expected.
Defense has been far worse to the point where they are starting over on that side starting next season.

When Brewster was fired in 2010, it took Horton a couple of weeks to restore/instill some sense of order-discipline-organization-hope. Two memorable wins concluded that season. Rossi just has three games, but maybe he can do something along these lines to at least get the defense to make the basic plays.

Horton also noted that he "just wanted the guys to have fun".

I think he sort of simplified things but also lightened the mood on the team. It is no fun when you know your coach is going to get fired and you're struggling.

Horton is also 1.000 in trophy games.... (Penn St. doesn't count).

I call it a better result.

I don't know how many different players played.

Need to continue this scheme from here on out. Joe Rossi has proven to be a capable DC. NW and wi will be more enjoyable games from a fan's standpoint.

Notably better.

If you answered C or D, YOU WON!

C - Some changes in players, notably better results
D - Same players, notably better results

Top Bottom