Poll - What do you expect from the defense over the next three weeks?

What do you expect from the defense over the next three weeks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
With Robb Smith out, what do you expect from the defense over the next three weeks?

I honestly don't think there's much that can be done because I don't think it's just a scheme/playcall issue. I think it's a philosophy that's being taught by Robb Smith that is the issue... so to change the way our players have learned it, it will take some time... But I do expect there to be better, safer calls on defense... and so hopefully no more home run plays on us.

The scheming can't possibly be any worse. Tough to imagine a new coordinator being able to teach the reads and decision making that Smith failed to instill. They better be substantially better next year though.

I think they can run simpler schemes, and we might see a player or two play a lot more in place of someone else, but I don't think any of it will be significant enough to keep opposing teams under 30 (or 40 for Purdue) points.
So maybe we can get small stretches where things look good, but I don't think they can stay one step ahead of the OC's they will face for the whole game.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Went with some changes in players with same results although I would lean towards some changes in players with slightly better results. Don't think we will se a drastic change but can't get much worse.

If they can find the right combination and cut down on the numerous blockhead mistakes that have given up long runs and blowouts, they could get into contention for a bowl bid or else the season will be over.

Some changes, some better results is pretty realistic.

I'm confident that we'll hold Purdue to under 70.

If we let our 3 remaining opponents score 45 each, is that better results?

It is really too late to make major scheme changes or teach the team how to tackle. I expect marginal improvement, fewer missed assignments, more accountability. But we finish against 3 teams we would struggle to slow down even if we were well coached.

Holding Purdue to 35 or less would probably be improvement as bad as that sounds.
Holding NW or Wisconsin to 28 or less would probably also be improvement.

Others can offer their own thoughts as I'm not real firm in mine.
Without the change, I could have seen Purdue drop 50+ on us again, but giving up in the 40's doesn't really feel like improvement.

I don't know what Joe Rossi can do.

I can only hope that Smith was just entirely crazy and the defense can improve with some minor changes..... not sure that is likely.

I'll go with same/same. A change was needed but Rossi isn't a long-term solution (just ask Rutgers ... they don't remember him fondly), and with so few weeks left it'll be tough to make any major overhauls. Unfortunately I think we see more hemorrhaging and go out of the 2018 season with a whimper.

I voted for "some changes, notably better," but I think the improvement will be more "somewhat" than "notable." The personnel is the personnel, so all that can be tinkered with this year is the scheme and the way it's taught. Hopefully Rossi is more apt in this regard than whatshisname.

JTG

We will be better. Kids will respond to this change. We should be looking at these three games as our “bowl opportunity” as the spoiler.

I just hope Rossi can get the defensive players feeling better, I'm sure they're down on themselves and such.

Gotta get some Jeff Horton type motivation / magic.

I think they can run simpler schemes, and we might see a player or two play a lot more in place of someone else, but I don't think any of it will be significant enough to keep opposing teams under 30 (or 40 for Purdue) points.
So maybe we can get small stretches where things look good, but I don't think they can stay one step ahead of the OC's they will face for the whole game.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Im pretty sure we were running as simple base Defenses as possibly the last couple of games. Time will show it’s a personnel issue more so than the scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im pretty sure we were running as simple base Defenses as possibly the last couple of games. Time will show it’s a personnel issue more so than the scheme.

Seems like we lost contain a lot though. That can be fixed. Guys were out of position.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I think they’ll go younger. I think they were going to do that even if they kept smith.
I think the defense will show slight improvement but not much.

We still have the #2 and #3 ranked offenses yet to play (Purdue, Northwestern). It seems like it can't get worse, but..... Oh man, I might have to close my eyes the next three weeks and reduce expectations and just hope to be pleasantly surprised.

We'll see mainly the same players with a few more additions to rotate in. Results will be mixed, but the number of big plays will be reduced - except for Rondale Moore this week.

I'll go with same/same. A change was needed but Rossi isn't a long-term solution (just ask Rutgers ... they don't remember him fondly), and with so few weeks left it'll be tough to make any major overhauls. Unfortunately I think we see more hemorrhaging and go out of the 2018 season with a whimper.

Yeah, I don't think Rossi will be the DC next year. Or I hope not at least

Seems like we lost contain a lot though. That can be fixed. Guys were out of position.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

There are 3-4 crucial plays in each B1G where we fail to set the edge and get gashed for a big play or a score

Sadly, sadly .... there just is no time to install something radically different. It will be the same base schemes, and mostly the same players ... and they're just going to hope that Rossi can see something differently than what Smith saw, and call the D plays differently.

This is the most likely scenario, sadly.

Just don't see any way to get two wins ... maybe one.

I really just hope the 2018 season doesn't end like the 2017 season ended, for three games long. Shouldn't be quite like that, because we can score points. But these games giving up 4+ huge plays for TDs, in addition to regular drives for TDs .... it just kills you.

I'm just hoping that Rossi is a motivator of some sort for the players to do better. Fleck didn't have much choice to find a replacement at this time of the year. Hopefully in the upcoming months he'll get a coordinator that will fit in well with the culture of the program.

at this point of the season, you really can't make major changes in the schemes. you can tweak some things, but any changes are going to have to involve personnel and attitude.

maybe the change of DC will allow the players to catch their breath. the players aren't stupid - they know people are blaming them for the team's struggles. so, having a different DC, maybe with a different approach, could be the change of pace they need to regroup. You can't play scared - that just leads to playing tentative, and leads to more mistakes.

So, hopefully, guys can play a little looser, and the coaches can use the last three games to hold tryouts with the true FR and anyone who hasn't logged playing time yet. As for the "not ready to play" argument - the guys on the field don't look ready to play - how much worse can the guys on the bench be?

with the new red-shirt rule, there is no reason not to play every kid on the roster. can't get any worse.

I'll be thrilled if we just keep their longest gain to under 20 yards. Win or lose, making the other team execute for multiple first downs before scoring is better than the sieve defense we've watched lately.

I'll be thrilled if we just keep their longest gain to under 20 yards. Win or lose, making the other team execute for multiple first downs before scoring is better than the sieve defense we've watched lately.

This would be a dream come true.

And last I checked, a team can't score twice in one drive ... so as long as we score on every drive ourselves ... we have a chance! :D

Yeah, I don't think Rossi will be the DC next year. Or I hope not at least

Why do you hope not? Is there something you know about him that makes him a bad choice other than he is not well known?

Top Bottom