Gophers open as 12.5 point underdogs vs. Purdue

The good news is our guys just got a front row seat to what a heavy underdog is capable of when properly coached and motivated.

Taking Purdue and the over

I’d take Minnesota and the under.
We will load up to stop run. Make them earn long drives.

Blough will have to beat us. Medium scoring close game. Purdue by 7

The good news is our guys just got a front row seat to what a heavy underdog is capable of when properly coached and motivated.

We are 1-0 in moral victories when heavy underdogs this year (See: Ohio St)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has the feel of a 50-38 type contest on the face of it although we made the last-ranked Illini defense look like a top defense for the first three quarters so I don’t know. The game is at home, maybe get Greene back, maybe Mo is 100%, Morgan another week of experience. The defense may have an attitude change as soon as this week and perhaps makes a small difference.

It’s impossible to know what will happen week to week. Purdue is coming off some huge wins. They may be on a high and complacent.

This team has played much better at home and I am hoping we see a bump on defense post Smith.
That being said it's another spread team with one of the best skilled players in college football and a good passing QB in Blough.
Call me a homer, but I think the Gophers are going to play a competitive game. Looking forward to it.

This has the feel of a 50-38 type contest on the face of it although we made the last-ranked Illini defense look like a top defense for the first three quarters so I don’t know. The game is at home, maybe get Greene back, maybe Mo is 100%, Morgan another week of experience. The defense may have an attitude change as soon as this week and perhaps makes a small difference.

It’s impossible to know what will happen week to week. Purdue is coming off some huge wins. They may be on a high and complacent.

The thing seems to be this on offense: if we have a good RB that is running like his hair is on fire, our offense really seems to click -- minus any bonehead fumbles or tipped interceptions.

Examples: Ibrahim at Ohio St, Brooks vs Indiana. And when Ibrahim was in vs Illinois, we seemed to do pretty well. Maybe same for Nebraska? I can't remember if he was hurt that whole game ...

No offense at all to Bryce Williams, but for whatever reason he just hasn't been as effective. Obviously he is a true freshman which is tough.

Minnesota +12.5 against a pocket passer and after embarrassment this weekend.

I would continue to bet against the Gophers until next season.

I believe that includes sacks in the stat in college.

It does but even if you take out the 16 sacks it brings him to 32 carries for 176 yards. Means he is not a statue but don't really think that qualifies him as a dual threat guy either. That breaks down to about 4 caries a game and around 20 yards.

He doesn't have to be a true dual threat to be a threat to run, especially against this defense.

He doesn't have to be a true dual threat to be a threat to run, especially against this defense.

True but it changes how you try and defend a team. If you are constantly worried about the QB taking off you have to spy on him much more with your LBs and you have to make sure you account for him possibly taking off on any play. With a QB like Blough he may run some when it is there but he isn't a QB you worry about breaking off a 50 yard run for a TD.

Allows you to focus your defense more on the receivers and running backs as opposed to the QB. The coaches would probably be thrilled to have Blough try and beat us with his legs as opposed to his arm.

This.

Unless our Defense gets the magic power up and starts real penetration into the backfield, it's just a matter of waltzing the line to trap the backers away from run gaps that stretch to the end zone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A QB can be an effective runner without gaining 100 yards a game. As long as the QB can recognize opportunities, and pick up that 4-yard gain on 3rd & 3 if necessary, that can be enough to keep the offense moving.

I would like to see Morgan at least looking to run a little more for the Gophers. Maybe 7-8 carries a game (not counting scrambles/running for you life situations).

Of course, if you have a guy who can run like the Nebraska or Illinois QB, you use it. Always liked Ricky Foggie, because he was a smart runner.

There is a clear distinction: do they specifically call running plays for the QB, or not?

An athletic QB can scramble and take-off with the DL being effectively blocked and everyone else down the field in coverage, and pick up a nice bundle of yards. Steve Young. Or in modern days, would say Nebraska's QB too.

ILL QB on the other hand, had running plays specifically called for him.

I hadn’t seen his very pedestrian stats but I’ve seen him run for some big first downs when needed. Mea culpa issued.

Top Bottom