D Coordinator Firing is a Scapegoat, Plain and Simple

Reaction score
Will this firing really solve anything? Hell no! The University of Minnesota put their trust in Fleck when they hired him, therefore they put trust into who he hires to fill these critical roles. Fleck hired Smith, and still oversaw the Defense in some capacity in these abysmal games where we gave up huge yardage plays to below average offenses and saw no improvement week in and week out. In the end, this goes back to Fleck. I think the NFL is different in this aspect of coaching, but college is different when it comes to hiring and firing of coordinators. We already seen in a past coaching regime here at Minnesota, one that shall go unnamed, where we went through offensive coordinators every year, changing coordinators after the first season. And how did that turnout? Did it solve anything? No. This is all but a scapegoat, and Smith is the sacrificial lamb taking the hit for mistakes that go through the entire coaching staff. Fleck is only in his second year, and all his coaches are only in their second year as well. We bring Fleck in, and we are willing to give him time to build this team up and trust in the process. You let this thing play out. You do not dismantle the process and place the blame on one person for issues that cycle through the whole team and the entire coaching staff. If you want Smith gone, might as well fire the entire coaching staff and start over because when we can't fix issues week after week after week of giving up 40 to 50 points to below average teams, there is an issue beyond Smith. To say that Fleck had no involvement whatsoever in how this defense has been performing and being coached is completely asinine. After the Maryland game, and then the Iowa game, two games where we gave up over 40 points, I highly doubt Fleck was just staying out of Smith's way and letting him do all the defensive coaching. Fleck still had influence in the past month of games to how our defense has played, and we have seen our defense, and some parts of our offense, deescalate. We have seen nothing but excuses out of Fleck about how young this team is, and how inexperienced they are, and that is true to some extent. We are a very young team, but there has been no sign of improvement, and these players are continuing to make the same mistakes when young teams like Purdue are improving on a weekly basis. This firing is nothing but another excuse. I am not saying to give up on Fleck. We must give him time. He is only in his second year, but he has issues beyond the Defensive Coordinator that needs to be addressed and issues that go back to him as the head coach of the Gopher football team. This is a scapegoat, and I fear Fleck is not going to take responsibility to fix issues within his own coaching strategy to help the program succeed in the future.

Disagree with me all you want, but it is what it is. A Scapegoat. Plain and Simple.

Will this firing really solve anything? Hell no! The University of Minnesota put their trust in Fleck when they hired him, therefore they put trust into who he hires to fill these critical roles. Fleck hired Smith, and still oversaw the Defense in some capacity in these abysmal games where we gave up huge yardage plays to below average offenses and saw no improvement week in and week out. In the end, this goes back to Fleck. I think the NFL is different in this aspect of coaching, but college is different when it comes to hiring and firing of coordinators. We already seen in a past coaching regime here at Minnesota, one that shall go unnamed, where we went through offensive coordinators every year, changing coordinators after the first season. And how did that turnout? Did it solve anything? No. This is all but a scapegoat, and Smith is the sacrificial lamb taking the hit for mistakes that go through the entire coaching staff. Fleck is only in his second year, and all his coaches are only in their second year as well. We bring Fleck in, and we are willing to give him time to build this team up and trust in the process. You let this thing play out. You do not dismantle the process and place the blame on one person for issues that cycle through the whole team and the entire coaching staff. If you want Smith gone, might as well fire the entire coaching staff and start over because when we can't fix issues week after week after week of giving up 40 to 50 points to below average teams, there is an issue beyond Smith. To say that Fleck had no involvement whatsoever in how this defense has been performing and being coached is completely asinine. After the Maryland game, and then the Iowa game, two games where we gave up over 40 points, I highly doubt Fleck was just staying out of Smith's way and letting him do all the defensive coaching. Fleck still had influence in the past month of games to how our defense has played, and we have seen our defense, and some parts of our offense, deescalate. We have seen nothing but excuses out of Fleck about how young this team is, and how inexperienced they are, and that is true to some extent. We are a very young team, but there has been no sign of improvement, and these players are continuing to make the same mistakes when young teams like Purdue are improving on a weekly basis. This firing is nothing but another excuse. I am not saying to give up on Fleck. We must give him time. He is only in his second year, but he has issues beyond the Defensive Coordinator that needs to be addressed and issues that go back to him as the head coach of the Gopher football team. This is a scapegoat, and I fear Fleck is not going to take responsibility to fix issues within his own coaching strategy to help the program succeed in the future.

Disagree with me all you want, but it is what it is. A Scapegoat. Plain and Simple.

So Ted Roof wasn't an improvement?

So Fleck shouldn’t have fired Robb Smith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what i'm picking up. Guess he liked constantly being blown out all big 10 games look how as Robb stay the more points the opponents get.
0-39 Northwestern
0-31 WI
13-42 Maryland
31-48 Iowa
28-53 NEB
31-55 IL

This message reads like you are suggesting the fans fired Smith. It was Fleck's decision, are you suggesting he made the wrong one?

Purdue is NOT A YOUNG TEAM. They have seven Seniors on offense and six Seniors and Juniors on Defense. Don’t make things up to back up your argument.

Last edited:

+1

Were you hoping for a Fleck resignation?

Rob had to go. Fleck will not fire himself.

This defense is largely the same defense that beat Washington State in the Holiday Bowl. It is very sad.

Next year he will have to start over with mainly young players.

Coyle made this mess. Two years gone and another eight years to fix.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Nah - two years gone and another 13 years to fix.

This defense is largely the same defense that beat Washington State in the Holiday Bowl. It is very sad.

You must be new around here.

So...either fire no one or fire everyone? Seems like a good plan.

It’s not even close to being the same defense. Durr is the only DB that played in the bowl along with Coughlin, Cashman, Huff and Martin. Others were on the team but not playing.

Why all the hate for Coyle? What did he do to you?

This is hardly the same defense that beat WSU in the Holiday Bowl. Even if it was, the one element that was different was the DC and that makes it look like the DC couldn't get the performance out of these players that the Old DC did when they beat WSU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boat is taking on water. We saw this with Brew and hired Kill almost specifically for the coaching staff consistency. No chance fleck hires anyone with any talent - cut our losses and start again.

“Smith is the sacrificial lamb taking the blame for mistakes that run through the entire coaching staff”

I really like how you supported your argument with facts, that was great! You must be deeply embedded in the program! I mean why hold the Defensive Coordinator responsible for the play of the defense??? No other D1 teams do that! Go back to reading the posts and not writing them.

Therapy will help but not solve all your problems. Perhaps alcohol if you promise not to beat your wife, girl friend, or kids.

How many coaches did fleck fire back at western mich? We hired the some dude who put together aMAC team with the best talent in the MAC. Could just admit we screwed up and go get a real coach with a real staff with a real history of success at the BCS level.

Nope. You want to keep consistency in the coaching staff for as long as possible. We are only halfway through year two and are having immense issues especially on defense that need to be fixed, but these coaches are still young in their tenure here at the U. You let these things play out before you start firing individual coaches. It throws off the process. You either do not fire anybody and let the process play out and keep consistency in the coaching staff, which is crucial for the players, or you fire everyone and start over. That is just how it is.

How many coaches did fleck fire back at western mich? We hired the some dude who put together aMAC team with the best talent in the MAC. Could just admit we screwed up and go get a real coach with a real staff with a real history of success at the BCS level.

You mean power 5? MAC is BCS.

I am in favor of paragraphs.

I'll say. That was extremely difficult to read. As to the other quote. You don't just fire the whole staff just because someone failed, you fire a person who is not competent to do a job in a specific area.

Nope. You want to keep consistency in the coaching staff for as long as possible. We are only halfway through year two and are having immense issues especially on defense that need to be fixed, but these coaches are still young in their tenure here at the U. You let these things play out before you start firing individual coaches. It throws off the process. You either do not fire anybody and let the process play out and keep consistency in the coaching staff, which is crucial for the players, or you fire everyone and start over. That is just how it is.

What if this is a 3rd time this trend (getting worse every year in terms of ppg) has happened out of 3 chances for Smith? (DC at Maine and Arkansas for 3 years and it happened there too.) Do you still wait it out?

Remind us how easy this is and the last time we did it.

Because they’re all clamoring to come to MN

Fleck had to do something. As another poster said, he wasn't going to fire himself.

It was either now, or in the offseason. I think doing it now does send a message, to the fans and boosters, that Fleck does care what they think about his program. He is listening, and he won't just accept that things aren't working. He will try something else ...

Top Bottom