Robb Smith out as D Coordiantor

Frankly I'm shocked.

Good on Fleck!!! Clearly, Fleck does respond. He put in Tanner Morgan, and now he's getting rid of Robb Smith. I wish Smith good luck in the future, and no personal ill will, of course. This is just business. He did choose to come to Minnesota, and invest his time, energy, blood, and tears into our state, university, and team. That is worth something.

Now on to Joe Rossi.

Is there anything he can do that will make a significant, immediate impact?? Purdue is coming into TCF hot, having just knocked off Iowa. But I feel like if we can somehow hole Purdue to less than 35 points, we have a chance.

Problems go far beyond him

With Rossi coaching the DL which is one of the problems I don’t think we’ll see much improvement with him coaching the entire defense. I hope I’m wrong. At least it’s a start to hiring a competent DC.

Well... This is a bad day for Smith. I agree it had to be done, but here's wishing him the best moving forward.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Its amazing the people that can't handle it when someone disagrees with them

I'm a full believer that it's not always the coordinators fault and that a poor position coach can cause issues too. That said this was a risky hire in the first place since nobody in Arky was sad to see him go. A lot of guys can be successful if you have talent in place but if your success relies 100% on talent you're screwed

Not surprised Smith was fired but am somewhat surprised it happened before the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not worried about trying to sell Season Tickets for a team coming off a two win Big Ten Season followed by a 1 win one.

Coyle and Fleck are.

Last edited:

With Rossi coaching the DL which is one of the problems I don’t think we’ll see much improvement with him coaching the entire defense. I hope I’m wrong. At least it’s a start to hiring a competent DC.

Unless Smith was holding him back.

When Rossi was DC at Rutgers, his defenses ranked 73rd (2014) and 98th (2015), so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

But the move had to be made.

I'm a full believer that it's not always the coordinators fault and that a poor position coach can cause issues too. That said this was a risky hire in the first place since nobody in Arky was sad to see him go. A lot of guys can be successful if you have talent in place but if your success relies 100% on talent you're screwed

Now we know what PJF had for breakfast. I'm sure it was difficult on the personal level but the change was necessary.

No it’s not when you make a comment out of left field and don’t back it up.

When Rossi was DC at Rutgers, his defenses ranked 73rd (2014) and 98th (2015), so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

But the move had to be made.
Well, he has a few games to make his case. If I'm thinking optimistically, I'm sure the talent at Rutgers was subpar.

You're not worried about trying to sell Season Tickets for a team coming off an 11 game Big Ten losing streak.

Coyle and Fleck are.

Of course but if you lose out firing him now or after the season doesn’t matter.

Doubtful the change at this point will make the difference in winning and losing in these last three games.

Though perception does play a part.

DC fired...

My friend, an Oklahoma fan, was happy when they fired their DC also. Then he reminded me that it really made a difference...they gave up 46 to TT yesterday...
Pretty sure we will have similar results, but it had to be done. The fans and maybe administration need to see changes. Good luck to Robb.

You're not worried about trying to sell Season Tickets for a team coming off an 11 game Big Ten losing streak.

Coyle and Fleck are.

Why would Coyle and Fleck worry about selling season tickets for some other program?

Why would Coyle and Fleck worry about selling season tickets for some other program?

Damitt. My mistake. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Probably not easy sell tickets for the Gophers if they follow-up a 2-7 Big Ten season with a 1-8 one.

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

Your memory that short or you think that Fleck and Coyle are happy with how things are going?

If Minnesota loses the last 3 they will be on a 11 game Big Ten losing streak. This move is designed to stop that losing streak. Or at least to show they are interesting in trying to.

IIRC the Gophers beat IU two weeks ago. Which would make them currently on a one game B1G losing streak. Unless your talking about some other B1G losing streak.

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

Your memory that short or you think that Fleck and Coyle are happy with how things are going?

If Minnesota loses the last 3 they will be on a 11 game Big Ten losing streak. This move is designed to stop that losing streak. Or at least to show they are interesting in trying to.

#math

IIRC the Gophers beat IU two weeks ago. Which would make them currently on a one game B1G losing streak. Unless your talking about some other B1G losing streak.

Ah damitt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was needed. The defense was not coordinated and seemed lost much of the time. I think Rossi will at least get them organized.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, he has a few games to make his case. If I'm thinking optimistically, I'm sure the talent at Rutgers was subpar.

Actually, Rutgers had some top 30 classes during that time...

That was a whole defensive coordinator ago.

At least provide information to back up your opinion. I agree that Smith isn’t the whole problem but I think it’s hard to not say he isn’t a big part of it.

I didn’t think Fleck would do it until after the season.

Hopefully MN adjusts better at halftime now. Smith had to be the worst DC in the country at halftime adjustments, something we got used to as being very good under Claeys.

That was a whole defensive coordinator ago.

Well around here an one game losing streak can get the same type of meltdown as an 11 game losing streak.

It’s easy to confuse the two.

Top Bottom