Do not blame Fleck

Reaction score
Cannot blame a guy who takes the job at 3.8 million a year. Blame kaler, Coyle and some members of the board of regents. They fired a coach and hired somebody who is called a coach. They miscalculated the notion that Fleck would bring excitement and ticket sales. Too early to tell how the Fleck experiment will turn out as far as wins and losses, even I will admit that. Week by week the excuses are getting old and harder to craft. "we are young", "we cannot tackle" "its all on me". The bottom line, in my opinion, is there is a major problem with the competence of coaching with this staff. The rebuild and the youth and new culture is no excuse for some of the really poor play. we were heavy favorites yesterday.

Fire coyle!

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Cannot blame a guy who takes the job at 3.8 million a year. Blame kaler, Coyle and some members of the board of regents. They fired a coach and hired somebody who is called a coach. They miscalculated the notion that Fleck would bring excitement and ticket sales. Too early to tell how the Fleck experiment will turn out as far as wins and losses, even I will admit that. Week by week the excuses are getting old and harder to craft. "we are young", "we cannot tackle" "its all on me". The bottom line, in my opinion, is there is a major problem with the competence of coaching with this staff. The rebuild and the youth and new culture is no excuse for some of the really poor play. we were heavy favorites yesterday.

We were not HEAVY favorites yesterday. If next year winds up being the same then you have an argument. We are two years in give it a rest.

If next year winds up being the same then you have an argument. We are two years in give it a rest.

I certainly agree that next year will tell the tale. That's why I'd like some signs this year that we're headed in the right direction. Not seeing a lot of that.

I like what's happening with the offense. The defense is a complete ****show. Offensive improvement means nothing if we can't stop bottom-feeder teams from scoring 50 points on us.

JTG

Fleck was hired because of ONE outstanding season, out of four - and that in the MAC. He's still very young and in just the sixth year of head coaching. And he needs a really good DC and lots of recruits. Attendance next year could be embarrassing - it was bad this year.

Fleck was hired because of ONE outstanding season, out of four - and that in the MAC. He's still very young and in just the sixth year of head coaching. And he needs a really good DC and lots of recruits. Attendance next year could be embarrassing - it was bad this year.

Given that Minnesota fired Claeys due in part to "lagging ticket sales", I think it's fair to say that Fleck is not even coming close to meeting expectations. Much less creating an elite culture. He has created a losing culture full of losing excuses. He's not a competent B1G coach. Spends more time on his reality TV gimmicks and scholarship announcements than he does on player development. Cannot wait to see him get fired.

If you're going to prance around the way he does, you better win.

Absolutely no humility. Horrible culture fit. His firing cannot come soon enough.

PJ Fleck actually came in as the "hot" pick and if we had not hired him I am pretty sure someone else would have hired him. The U of M took a risk on a young coach that had one big year. My guess is that if things do not work out for him here they will hire the complete opposite of Fleck - that is what they have done every time. In other words - the next coach will be a proven coach who has been around for a long time. For the life of me I do not know why can't we get lucky just once and get a Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz that build a winner and stay.

Too early on Fleck though. He needs to make some defensive moves bigtime though because he is already getting on the hot seat. The natives are beginning to get restless. Next year will be pretty big for his coaching career.

If fleck goes so dose Bateman do we really want that? he is our best WR

PJ Fleck actually came in as the "hot" pick and if we had not hired him I am pretty sure someone else would have hired him. The U of M took a risk on a young coach that had one big year. My guess is that if things do not work out for him here they will hire the complete opposite of Fleck - that is what they have done every time. In other words - the next coach will be a proven coach who has been around for a long time. For the life of me I do not know why can't we get lucky just once and get a Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz that build a winner and stay.

Too early on Fleck though. He needs to make some defensive moves bigtime though because he is already getting on the hot seat. The natives are beginning to get restless. Next year will be pretty big for his coaching career.

A bit revisionist. Several schools either just passed on him or never seriously considered him.

Given that Minnesota fired Claeys due in part to "lagging ticket sales", I think it's fair to say that Fleck is not even coming close to meeting expectations. Much less creating an elite culture. He has created a losing culture full of losing excuses. He's not a competent B1G coach. Spends more time on his reality TV gimmicks and scholarship announcements than he does on player development. Cannot wait to see him get fired.

If you're going to prance around the way he does, you better win.

Absolutely no humility. Horrible culture fit. His firing cannot come soon enough.

Step back from the ledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alvarez had AD Pat Richter and President Donna Shalala fully on board. Iowa IIRC has had AD's and Presidents that fully support Football.

This is new to our Gophers. From many accounts support has been lacking since the mid to late 60's.

Prez Kaler is the first MN Prez to come close to fully supporting football and athletics at the U. Like him or not, Mark Coyle is an effective administrator even though he is not a public persona. Norwood Teague was a mistake and may have cost the Gophers some momentum building of the program.

Imagine if they had given Glenn Mason money to hire and retain good assistant coaches. If he was able to fire his Defensive Coordinator and replace him with a quality DC, he may still be coaching today and the Gophers would have had the program stability of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern.

The Gophers are doomed to mediocrity if they continue to fire and replace their head coaches every four to six years. I am willing to ride out PJ Fleck to the very end.

He showed some promise in recruiting. He was blind-sided by hiring his friend Robb Smith. And he is coming to the realization that it really is tough to compete in the Big Ten. He is learning that it takes time to build a program in the Big Ten. We have to be patient. What else is the alternative? If they keep firing coaches every four-five years, I would probably decide enough is enough.

I know that Tracy Claeys was in a toxic situation and Mark Coyle under the cover of the scandal decided to fire Claeys rather unceremoniously.

I wonder what it could have been if he was allowed to step down as a HC and offered the DC job with a fat pay raise? The hiring of Fleck or any other coach has a conditional clause to retain Claeys as DC.

I know that would never happen because all the parties wouldn't agree to it.

Claeys' defensive mind is such a big loss. Look at how vastly he improved Wazzu's Defense. They are rated like 10th in the Nation and had only one loss to Washington.

The pirate Mike Leach reached out to Tracy Claeys shortly after he was fired. But, Claeys told him he needed time off and went farming and hung out with his family out in Kansas. Mike Leach waited a whole year. Coach Phelps was already out there.

Last edited:

Top Bottom