PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 11-4-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Radio.

Sid: hard to figure out - how well you played against Iowa, OSU - against other teams don't play that well
PJ: we've been very inconsistent. like a roller coaster. we play well on defense one week - not well the next week. that's understandable with the number of FR we're playing. defense can look really good and really bad. yesterday was unacceptable. the blame starts with me. period. we need to see our mistakes and correct them.

Sid: does home-field advantage matter? (Illinois looks better at home than road games...)
PJ: I don't get into comparing teams. that's why college football is special - you never know what's going to happen home/away - it's hard to figure out. we need to get better, keep growing

Sid: missed tackles.
PJ: way too many missed tackles. not just on the back end. also missed tackles at the 2nd level, the front end. a lot to fix

Mona: turnovers?
PJ: we turned the ball over. one thing I felt coming into the year, we knew we'd be young, inexperienced. the ball is the program. talk about 78%. we lost that yesterday. we're 0-5 when we lose those categories, 4-0 when we win them. in my past, had team that was -18 on turnovers at the start of my career. we got to a point where we knew how to win. didn't turn the ball over at all until the 7th game of season. part of the maturation process. need to grow up faster.

Max: on defense, look at film. wide-open holes what do you see? wrong call, personnel?
PJ: it's a combination. schematic, coaching, personnel. some of all of it. whoever's in there has to be able to play that role. where we're at right now, if one person is out of their gap, we're not able to make it right. rarely does a team play perfect - with everybody in their gap on every play. got to look at every category. schematically - need to make it simpler, so players have no doubt where they're going. as far as personnel, have to put our best people out there at this point. everybody has injuries. we knew it was going to be a long haul - playing so many young, inexperienced people. look at it from year 1 to this year. said it was going to get worse before it gets better. yesterday was unacceptable. we understand why we are where we are.

Mona: bateman. what is he capable of?
PJ: I'm a very positive person. there's so much negativity now on defense. I get that. but there's so much good going on. every wants to look at the result. if this was year 4 or 5 , I'd understand. playing 8-9 FR on offense. it's remarkable what they're doing. like to have it all mesh together. we will get everyone on track - offense, defense, special teams. Bateman is one of most premier WR in country. unbelievable. he's doing it running WR-type routes, break points, catching deep balls. to do that at such a young age in the B1G, it's a real compliment to him, to our offensive staff, coach Simon. I said Tyler Johnson's best friend should be Bateman. things will continue to improve as we bring in QB's, develop them in the system.

Max: with Winfield out, do you have playmakers on defense - or potential playmakers among the freshmen?
PJ: we're doing what we can to develop. things happen - Winfield goes out. not a lot of depth in the secondary. lot of these guys are playing for the 1st time. I think Jordan Howden will be a playmaker. Terrell Smith will be a playmaker. we're making young mistakes. inexperience showing - Jordan 2 weeks ago had one of his best games. immaturity. race to maturity. had to be more mature to have success with young, inexperienced team. guys on back end have got to be able to make plays. you can see the difference in speed with some people. need to be able to recruit, develop with strength and conditioning, speed training. we're going in the right direction. I can see it, feel it. focusing on defense.

Sid: offense so young. do you expect to get better?
PJ: playing well right now. would like to see the turnovers become zero. Mo Ibrahim went down. our 3 starting backs are out. another true FR has got to lead the way. I've seen growth from everybody. Curtis Dunlap getting reps. everyone is frustrated right how. as we go through the years, people will see what the long-term plan is. expectations - not meeting that expectation. frustrating for people got to continue to get better. continue to grow.

Mona: with defense. look at players from your recruiting class. position changes?
PJ: don't want to rob peter to pay paul. will look at everything. every coach does that. can this player help at another position? there are 3-4 candidates right now we'll be looking at. Also looking at the incoming 2019 FR class. It's our 2nd time coaching this FB team. we know where our true issues are, where our strengths are. it takes a full 2 years to find that out. we've got to make decisions going forward. coming in as a staff, you don't know the team. have to put a recruiting class together. now we have a feel for what we're going to have to do. look at filling out the rest of the 2019 class. make changes accordingly.

Sid: Douglas.
PJ: very talented. can do lots of things. KR, PR, explosive. become stronger, more dynamic playmaker. we need to see ways to get him the football. We have 4 very talented WR right now. we need to grow our QB's. it all revolves around the QB. the more he can handle, the more we can do. I like the way our QB's are developing - not as fast as some people would like. It's been well-documented how we're going to do it. yesterday was unacceptable. the team is ready to get back to work

Sid: (something about) results?
PJ: results are dated information. doesn't tell you where you're going to be. we need to take the result and respond to it.

Sid: thanks for appearing. wish you better things. Murray's
PJ: RTB, Ski-u-Mah, Go Gophers.

He references schemes and coaching, but no Robb Smith questions?

Fleck could’ve easily said all that without “young” thrown in every other word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"every wants to look at the result. if this was year 4 or 5 , I'd understand."

For a mere 3 + million per year, it's irrational for fans to expect improvement in year 2. He should have at least 14 million of cumulative earnings before he can be expected to demonstrate improved results.

PJ: it's a combination. schematic, coaching, personnel.

True.

Thanks for the summary SON.

PJ is making excuses and is full of sh^t. He needs a new DC without a doubt. If he doesn’t fire him at the end of the season, he’ll be forced to during next season. There are several dozen, if not close to 100 guys, who could coach this defense better, because it couldn’t be much worse. That’s the fact of the matter.

Yeah, you really can’t make it up. So concern over regression thru two years and apparently a 3rd is not understandable?

It's our 2nd time coaching this FB team. we know where our true issues are, where our strengths are. it takes a full 2 years to find that out. we've got to make decisions going forward.

Hmmm. Clock started two years ago PJ. If you’re only now determining what you need you’re in trouble.

Didn't he {Smith}

He references schemes and coaching, but no Robb Smith questions?
Get fired from Arkansas for the very same reason we have?

Mandel and Feldman had a prescient conversation on The Audible podcast a few weeks ago about Jeremy Pruitt blaming the prior staff/inherited players after their loss to Alabama. Worth a listen starting at the 45:20 mark.

Also, I have to say that earlier in the podcast they went into depth about Ohio State’s defensive issues,with James Lauranitis. After sort of a rough beginning on BTN he’s really turned into an insightful, smart commentator in the Klatt mold. He had some comments about Schiano’s defense.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7056311-is-michigan-a-top-4-team-in-the-country-james-laurinaitis

Agree - what is telling to me is that week to week there is no improvement. This team is getting worse week to week - that says volumes about this guy as a coach - PJ is in over his head - this concept of a multi year rebuild is a joke - this program is hopeless

Fleck needed a couple more years in the MAC. The only thing he has been good at is making up sorry excuses. He isn't growing as a coach in the B1G. Too far over his head?

Hmmm. Clock started two years ago PJ. If you’re only now determining what you need you’re in trouble.

If you use his new timetable, 2022 is the year things take off. Hope something clicks next year, but I'm not optimistic that it will.

For a mere 3 + million per year, it's irrational for fans to expect improvement in year 2. He should have at least 14 million of cumulative earnings before he can be expected to demonstrate improved results.

It's definitely not wrong to expect improvement. But what does money have to do with it? He's one of the lower paid coaches in the B1G, coaching a low level B1G program. He's being paid market value.

When the Gophers lost by a combined 70-0 at the end of last season, I thought it was a combination of injuries, lack of pass catchers, and a QB issue and not necessarily the defense.

Now with three games remaining this season and after yesterday's debacle at Illinois, Robb Smith's incompetence is unmistakenly showing. The pattern of his defensive failures is nothing new. In spite of lack of talent, this won't happen under Claeys or any other able defensive coordinator.

I understand his friendship with Robb after sharing coaching stints and coaching trees. How in the world was PJ Fleck blinded by friendship and loyalty? Did he check Robb Smith's body of work? How much longer is he going to keep the Defensive Coordinator who got Bret Bilema fired?

"The edges have been a problem all year for the defense. It’s the main reason Arkansas is giving up GIGANTIC chunks of yards on the run. Auburn averaged 9.5 yards per carry and got more than five, 20+ yard plays with five different players. So the argument that one or two players on the team are just that good goes out the window here. Arkansas gave up the most rushing yards in a single game in school history to Auburn.

Arkansas currently ranks 111 out of 128 in the nation in rushing defense. Ole Miss is the only team below the Hogs, from the SEC, at 113. To put it into perspective, Mississippi State, who is at the bottom of the west, and MIZZOU who is at the bottom of the entire SEC, have a better run defense than the Hogs. This defense has already given up more rushing yards than they did the past two seasons and is on track to be the past three."

This narrative sounds all too familiar. It is not for the lack of talent alone. It is coaching incompetence.

Last edited:

I'm doing a pre-order on crow for next year. I don't think a 1000 pounds will be enough for you all.

I have not noticed a lot of evidence that the Gophers coaches are teaching firm solid fundamentals. Maybe I haven't gone to too many open practices. We hear PJ saying the ball is the program. Yet, we see a lot of fumbles.

Under Jerry Kill, they really drilled the kids in proper form tackling, securing the ball, etc... in practice. The coaches were on top of the kids all the time.

For those of you who have gone to a few practices under PJ Fleck, do you see any evidence of that? Jerry Kill really and company really went out of their way to develop every single player on the practice field. They emphasized making the techniques instinctive.

I mean when you see Eric Murray tackle someone you know it was a sure thing of beauty.

Last edited:

It's definitely not wrong to expect improvement. But what does money have to do with it?

What does money have to do with it? Are you from some other universe? Money always has something to do with it. Whether something is a good or bad deal is always judged by benefits received vs. the costs expended. So far I can't see any benefits other than a more diversified offense.

He may be one of the lower paid coaches in the conference but his compensation is pretty similar to the Purdue, Wisconsin, and Northwestern coaches. With the exception of Scott Frost and Lovie Smith, all of those significantly above him are being paid based on past performance. Smith hasn't delivered much so far but he has a longer and more accomplished coaching history. And Nebraska is just willing to throw money at football coaches until they get it right.

He is making considerably more than either Kill or Claeys even after adjusting for salary inflation.

Thanks Son for your report. Obviously triggered more posts that are valid and perhaps not so valid. Defense is a concern no doubt. Not sure what Fleck saw in Smith based on his history elsewhere.

What does money have to do with it? Are you from some other universe? Money always has something to do with it. Whether something is a good or bad deal is always judged by benefits received vs. the costs expended. So far I can't see any benefits other than a more diversified offense.

He may be one of the lower paid coaches in the conference but his compensation is pretty similar to the Purdue, Wisconsin, and Northwestern coaches. With the exception of Scott Frost and Lovie Smith, all of those significantly above him are being paid based on past performance. Smith hasn't delivered much so far but he has a longer and more accomplished coaching history. And Nebraska is just willing to throw money at football coaches until they get it right.

He is making considerably more than either Kill or Claeys even after adjusting for salary inflation.

Comparing your pay to Claeys would be error #1.
The guy didn't hire an agent, and it showed in his salary, and it was reason #1 (at worst, reason #2) his tenure at the U was as short as it was.

This money angle is worn and tired, and unfortunately nonsensical.

Thanks Son for your report. Obviously triggered more posts that are valid and perhaps not so valid. Defense is a concern no doubt. Not sure what Fleck saw in Smith based on his history elsewhere.

I believe it was strongly a relationship hire since he worked with him before, but it's been a dud.

PJ: it's a combination. schematic, coaching, personnel.

True.

Thanks for the summary SON.

Only one of those is something the coaches cannot address on a constant basis. Unlike the NFL where personnel can be addressed in the fly too.

The coaching must be better. The defensive coordinator is not getting it done in July Fireworks Finale Fashion. All of the finales since 1776, maybe only 1976. But that is spectacular beyond belief.

Top Bottom