Two constants in defensive breakdowns

You can't teach size or speed. Everything else can be taught to even freshman. It was clear players weren't being taught correctly on defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t it funny,. We haven’t had a championship here in 50 years and all of us - including yours truly, think that with a new DC, we will have utopia. Not going to happen. Sorry folks.

Isn’t it funny,. We haven’t had a championship here in 50 years and all of us - including yours truly, think that with a new DC, we will have utopia. Not going to happen. Sorry folks.

We aren’t looking for utopia, just a defense that can prevent the other team from scoring as many points as we score.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the quick fix - not the best fix, but the quick one - is to have the DL's become responsible for consuming blockers. Not making plays. Just consume blockers. It's easy to do. Let the LB's make the play. They are able to do it if they can stay upright. And let the safeties worry exclusively about the pass. They literally are unable to recognize in time to get in a position to make a play. (That's why they end up diving at ankles. It is the symptom of poor recognition.) So make things easier for them. Simplify their mental processes. This is a legitimate strategy used in situations like this.

This would go back to my true 3-4 comment. Again, not going to happen ... not enough time to install it.

But I'd put the three biggest guys we have (OJ Smith if healthy), Royal, Moore, etc. and line them right over the tackles and center, and tell them to consume 2 OL. Then let Cashman, Coughlin, Barber, and Martin tackle the ball carriers.

At a very minimum, make them beat us throwing the ball. These long TD runs .... are just BRUTAL.

Also, what do you mean about LBs playing "upright"?

This would go back to my true 3-4 comment. Again, not going to happen ... not enough time to install it.

But I'd put the three biggest guys we have (OJ Smith if healthy), Royal, Moore, etc. and line them right over the tackles and center, and tell them to consume 2 OL. Then let Cashman, Coughlin, Barber, and Martin tackle the ball carriers.

At a very minimum, make them beat us throwing the ball. These long TD runs .... are just BRUTAL.

Also, what do you mean about LBs playing "upright"?

By "upright" I was referring to the fact that on all of the long runs, the LB's had a lineman that went DIRECTLY to the second level and blocked them because (1) no one is commanding a double-team, so there is always a lineman free to do that; and (2) we are not using a scheme where defensive linemen view themselves a blockers for the linebackers.

plJKLEr.png

This is our linebacker with a lineman on him in the first TD run.

SyFY3r9.png

This is our linebacker with a lineman on him in the second TD run.

HILi9Dr.png

This is our linebacker with a lineman on him in the third TD run.

Basically, if put to the task, you need to build a defense from the front, back. Or from the back, front. Due to: (1) the mass exodus of DB's in the wake of the "scandal"; and (2) the fact that but for Richardson, our defensive line was rather weak... we were left in a position where the defense is starting from the middle, out. That's not a good place to be.

In any event, you and I agree. For right now, we should implement a quick fix to have our best unit responsible for plugging runs and then simplify matters for our DB's by letting them focus on just one thing.

I'd add a third point -- effort. Especially in 2nd half feel the front 7 gave up. Maybe a part is conditioning but not a good sign especially for younger guys

Top Bottom