Notebook: Explosive plays continue to haunt Gophers’ defense in high-scoring loss

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Just when you thought it couldn’t get much worse, it did. The Fighting Illini football roster features just eight seniors and 24 upperclassmen — both numbers are the fewest in the nation. Illinois still managed to pummel the Gophers with explosive plays during a 55-31 win.

Until Saturday, the only wins Illinois posted were against an FCS program and two bottom-tier teams in S&P-plus ratings.

That’s a problem.

The defensive mistakes are starting to get out of hand for the Gophers. Minnesota is allowing a whopping 44.3 points per game in six Big Ten matchups.

With six key players from the Holiday Bowl team playing on the current Minnesota defense, the continued issues are starting to become a major problem. Veterans are missing tackles, out of position and taking poor angles. The Gophers allowed five scoring plays of more than 30 yards, including three over 65 yards. Big Ten opponents are also averaging more than 30 yards per scoring play against defensive coordinator Robb Smith’s unit.

Sure, there are young players who are playing important positions on defense, but six veterans are featured in this defense, too. The regression associated with these defensive players speaks to the issues facing this Minnesota defense. Many of these key contributors were extremely successful during the Gophers’ bowl run in 2016. The question to ask is: what has changed?

P.J. Fleck must soon decide whether this scheme is one who he wants to continue running in the future. Illinois was an inexperienced team and managed to do whatever they liked against the Gophers. There hasn’t been a noticeable improvement from the Minnesota defense, especially against teams with similar spread offensive concepts.

Minnesota’s experienced linebackers were not setting run fits and safeties missed tackles in the backend on simple designed runs and read-option looks. Minnesota played soft coverage for most of the day and teams continued to run outside, testing the edge and tackling ability of the Gophers’ defensive backs.

The big takeaway: Minnesota is unable to make the necessary adjustments against teams who spread the field and use motion.

Illinois mixed in stacked sets and spread receivers to make alignments and tackling in space extra important. In the first 25 minutes of the game, Minnesota surrendered three scoring plays of more than 65 yards.

Within Illinois’ first four plays, they picked up two 72-yard rushing scores. Just 42 seconds into the game Illinois running back Reggie Corbin burst free for a 72-yard touchdown. A pulling guard sealed the edge off a read-option look and safety Jordan Howden missed a tackle in the backend to spark the long score. On the next drive, rush end Carter Coughlin was sealed on the edge and safety Jacob Huff got sucked too far up to the corner. Jordan Howden was misaligned and running back Dre Brown burst free for the second 72-yard touchdown. Illinois used a read-option look with a subtle speed option wrinkle to confuse the Gophers’ defense. It certainly worked as every level of the defense was out of position or missed tackles. The Fighting Iliini ran just 14 plays in the first quarter, but managed to accumulate 207 total yards.

In the second quarter, Minnesota allowed another big explosive play as wide receiver Ricky Smalling ran a simple quick slant for a 67-yard touchdown. The Gophers were again playing soft coverage and cornerback Terell Smith missed a tackle for another long score.

The defensive struggles continued throughout the afternoon as a 44-yard designed run by quarterback A.J. Bush set up another Illinois touchdown. Moments later, a 30-yard pass from Bush to Daniel Barker was effortless as players in the second level were squared up. The amount of mistakes in a variety of areas allowed Illinois to move the ball at will both through the air and on the ground.

When teams spread the field against the Gophers and use motion or deception, the defense has trouble staying aligned and making plays. This has been particularly evident against spread offenses when teams stack, bunch or spread receivers to make lane discipline more critical on the edge. The tackling has been almost non-existent at all levels of the Gophers’ defense as they struggle to play fundamentally sound football.

More on the offense: http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2018/11/notebook-explosive-plays-continue-haunt-gophers-defense-high-scoring-loss/

Good stuff Daniel. I'm detecting some skepticism from you that it's the players and is more of a scheme issue. I have to agree with you.

With six key players from the Holiday Bowl team playing on the current Minnesota defense, the continued issues are starting to become a major problem. Veterans are missing tackles, out of position and taking poor angles. The Gophers allowed five scoring plays of more than 30 yards, including three over 65 yards. Big Ten opponents are also averaging more than 30 yards per scoring play against defensive coordinator Robb Smith’s unit.

Sure, there are young players who are playing important positions on defense, but six veterans are featured in this defense, too. The regression associated with these defensive players speaks to the issues facing this Minnesota defense. Many of these key contributors were extremely successful during the Gophers’ bowl run in 2016. The question to ask is: what has changed?

EG9 has a good post in another thread about the myth that this is a similar defense to the one the Gophers employed in 2016. As for current players being key contributors in 2016 I am not so sure that is the case.

Of the top 15 tacklers in 2016 here is where guys on the current roster ranked:
Winfield (out for the season) - 5th with 52 tackles
Cashman - 6th with 45 tackles
Shenault (didn't play against Illinois) - 10th with 32 tackles
Julian Huff - 12th with 30 tackles
Coughlin - 14th with 25 tackles

You have to go a long way down the list to find Martin, Barber, Jacob Huff, Durr.....

This is in no way meant to excuse the putrid play of the defense this year but this narrative that this unit is very similar to the one that played in 2016 is just false.

Nice analysis to the OP. I didn't see mention of the DL players at point-of-attack getting manhandled and blown downfield to start the cascading of errors on those big run plays. The Illini OL totally dominated the Gophie front seven on defense regardless of schematics in the backfield. Hard to watch.

EG9 has a good post in another thread about the myth that this is a similar defense to the one the Gophers employed in 2016. As for current players being key contributors in 2016 I am not so sure that is the case.

Of the top 15 tacklers in 2016 here is where guys on the current roster ranked:
Winfield (out for the season) - 5th with 52 tackles
Cashman - 6th with 45 tackles
Shenault (didn't play against Illinois) - 10th with 32 tackles
Julian Huff - 12th with 30 tackles
Coughlin - 14th with 25 tackles

You have to go a long way down the list to find Martin, Barber, Jacob Huff, Durr.....

This is in no way meant to excuse the putrid play of the defense this year but this narrative that this unit is very similar to the one that played in 2016 is just false.

People already have made up their minds on this.

Nice analysis to the OP. I didn't see mention of the DL players at point-of-attack getting manhandled and blown downfield to start the cascading of errors on those big run plays. The Illini OL totally dominated the Gophie front seven on defense regardless of schematics in the backfield. Hard to watch.

We have some people in this forum that really take a deep dive into the plays and break them down from a coaching perspective. Will be interesting to see their take on the latest debacle, was it a case of guys blowing assignments or was Illinois just finding and exploiting holes in the defense. My guess is that it was a combo of both.

I really hope this defensive staff can solve the defensive line issues because right now it is Coughlin flying solo out there with little to no help of any kind along the line. The unfortunate part is that with OJ Smith injured and some transfers not available till next season the solution for this year might not be available on the current roster. That said, I would take a good long look at the freshman over these last few games across the board on defense. With road games your travel roster is somewhat limited but at home you don't have that same issue so we may get a look at more of these young guys over the next few games.

I heard someone say on the radio (might have been Mason) that it is easier to fix a defense that gives up a ton of big plays than it is to fix one that teams put up lots of long sustained drives against because big plays are usually a result of one or two breakdowns that can hopefully be fixed. If that truly is the case I really hope Smith can get it figured out soon and if he can't I hope Fleck goes out and hires a defensive coordinator that can.

Bingo as to where the problems start, you said what I said with less words. We do not see the Gophers up front to be able to stay in front of people.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Fighting Illini football roster features just eight seniors and 24 upperclassmen — both numbers are the fewest in the nation.

So, their O line, which features 3 sophs and a freshman, totally destroyed the Gophers defensive line.

Fighting Illini football roster features just eight seniors and 24 upperclassmen — both numbers are the fewest in the nation.

So, their O line, which features 3 sophs and a freshman, totally destroyed the Gophers defensive line.

Yes.

Top Bottom