Last week was the aberration, this week was the new normal

csom_1991

Reaction score
Prior to the Nebraska game, I said that a loss would likely mark the start of the countdown to the end of the Fleck era. After losing (which everyone was eyeing as an easy victory just a week prior), we had this board on here rationalizing how Nebraska was way better than their record, etc so a loss was not as bad as it seems. For me, I had yet to see anything in Fleck that even gave me a glimmer of hope that he could turn this program around - yes, he was Brewster 2.0.

Then, against Indiana, he went for it on 4th in short early in the game and on the wrong side of the 50. It was a gamble that paid off and I think it completely turned the momentum of the game and allowed us to win. I gave Fleck an A last week despite the typical D collapse late in the game. I was hopeful that I was wrong and Fleck still had not lost the team and we actually were building to something.

This week, all those hopes were lost and I realize my mistake was in thinking that last week was the new normal - it wasn't. It was a nice gamble that paid off - but had we missed that 4th and short, I think Indian would have rolled us just like Illinois did this week. Again, Fleck has not put players into positions to be successful - and if superior talent on the field is the prerequisite for his system to work, his system simply will not work here.

After today, I can already write the next series of excuse articles for Fleck. After we reel off a few more losses to close out the season and the DC is sent packing - we will switch scheme back to a 4-3 or more traditional variant. We will then hear about how our talent was recruited for a 3-4 and we have to wait at least 2 more years so the recruits brought in are a fit for the system. All the while we will continue to sink to Brewster level incompetence (if we have not reached it already) without having a ray of hope in the future (like an on campus stadium will change everything - or the Athletes' village will change everything...). When Fleck is eventually run out of the town, the entire athletic department needs a house cleaning - no one should escape from this self-inflicted program destroying coaching change.

It's the defense. It really is that simple.

The points that Tanner Morgan & Co. have scored against Nebraska (in one half), Indiana, and Illinois is plenty of points to win all three of those games.

Our defense is pure horse manure. Watching film of themselves should be an embarassing experience, that I hope like heck motivates some of these younger guys to do something different this offseason.

EDIT: sorry the last sentence came out the wrong way ... I did NOT mean leave the team, I mean train harder/faster/different ... train differently, work on different techniques, etc.

Next game. I'm going to put this Illinois game in the rear view mirror. Hoping they do great next game. Get another W.

I'm not sure about it being the new norm, they are just more exposed when facing athletic QB's.

It's the defense. It really is that simple.

The points that Tanner Morgan & Co. have scored against Nebraska (in one half), Indiana, and Illinois is plenty of points to win all three of those games.

Our defense is pure horse manure. Watching film of themselves should be an embarassing experience, that I hope like heck motivates some of these younger guys to do something different this offseason.

EDIT: sorry the last sentence came out the wrong way ... I did NOT mean leave the team, I mean train harder/faster/different ... train differently, work on different techniques, etc.

A lot of the offense in the Neb and Ill games came with the Gophs down by 3 touchdowns. 150 yards yesterday came on those two long TD passes in the 4th qtr when the game was over. The offense sputtered second half in the Ind win. I honestly don't know what to think about the offense at this point. Definitely statistically improved over last year and as this year progresses, but T/O margin is worse.

I'm looking forward.

The past has very little to do with this team's long term future.

Again, Fleck has not put players into positions to be successful - and if superior talent on the field is the prerequisite for his system to work, his system simply will not work here.

After today, I can already write the next series of excuse articles for Fleck. After we reel off a few more losses to close out the season and the DC is sent packing - we will switch scheme back to a 4-3 or more traditional variant. We will then hear about how our talent was recruited for a 3-4 and we have to wait at least 2 more years so the recruits brought in are a fit for the system. All the while we will continue to sink to Brewster level incompetence (if we have not reached it already) without having a ray of hope in the future (like an on campus stadium will change everything - or the Athletes' village will change everything...). When Fleck is eventually run out of the town, the entire athletic department needs a house cleaning - no one should escape from this self-inflicted program destroying coaching change.

Exactly

A lot of the offense in the Neb and Ill games came with the Gophs down by 3 touchdowns. 150 yards yesterday came on those two long TD passes in the 4th qtr when the game was over. The offense sputtered second half in the Ind win. I honestly don't know what to think about the offense at this point. Definitely statistically improved over last year and as this year progresses, but T/O margin is worse.

There is a ton of reason to feel optimistic about the offense moving forward and at the moment little to no reason to feel optimistic about the defense.

On offense you can clearly see the young talent and with some time to develop along with getting some key guys back from injury this could be a really strong unit next year and beyond.

On defense the young guys, with the exception of T. Smith, haven't really shown much yet and the unit as a whole has been a dumpster fire. Scheme, talent, combo of both, whatever it is it isn't working and the coaches have to figure it out.

If they can figure out a way to put a serviceable defense on the field next season the potential is there for this to be a very good team as long as the young offensive players continue on the same trajectory.

There is a ton of reason to feel optimistic about the offense moving forward and at the moment little to no reason to feel optimistic about the defense.

On offense you can clearly see the young talent and with some time to develop along with getting some key guys back from injury this could be a really strong unit next year and beyond.

On defense the young guys, with the exception of T. Smith, haven't really shown much yet and the unit as a whole has been a dumpster fire. Scheme, talent, combo of both, whatever it is it isn't working and the coaches have to figure it out.

If they can figure out a way to put a serviceable defense on the field next season the potential is there for this to be a very good team as long as the young offensive players continue on the same trajectory.

I agree with this person.

He seems to be able to look at the positive and the negative and evaluate both sides rather fairly.

Anyone want to bet that Reusse already has the Turkey of the Year column finished?

Ski u mah. Row the boat go gophers... give me 3.5 million a year and I’ll say that all day long. I’m so proud of this very young team. They continue to improve each and every week. Haaaaaa

Bring back Claeys!!

Perspective...compared to last year, yes, it would be hard not to think the offense would be better. Remember going into last year many thinking the offense could not get any worse compared to 2016...and it did. I guess if that's the new bar...

One thing is for certain, with Claey’s we wouldn’t have 4 wins.

Top Bottom