Fleck postgame video

Fleck pretty much admits the lack athleticism with the defense that's playing right now. It's painfully obvious. A lot of that's on him via recruiting and going young...albeit with some bad luck on injuries. The defense right now reminds me of the worst of the Wacker era. Some people a little older than me mention the Salem era as terrible...I don't know if it could get worse.

Fleck pretty much admits the lack athleticism with the defense that's playing right now. It's painfully obvious. A lot of that's on him via recruiting and going young...albeit with some bad luck on injuries. The defense right now reminds me of the worst of the Wacker era. Some people a little older than me mention the Salem era as terrible...I don't know if it could get worse.

Is he basically saying that we're slower than molasses in January?

Is he saying, when a guy breaks past a linebacker, it some cases it would be nice if we had someone in the secondary who could keep pace with a 200 lb RB?

Is he basically saying that we're slower than molasses in January?

Is he saying, when a guy breaks past a linebacker, it some cases it would be nice if we had someone in the secondary who could keep pace with a 200 lb RB?
Basically, that's what he said...he stated the obvious to anyone who's watched the team the past few games:
"Some of the speed on our defense was exposed"
"They were able to run away from us and we couldn't catch them"
"The secondary couldn't even get off a block to make a play on the second level" [this is what bugged me the most during the game...lack of ferociousness required to be a good defensive player]

In a nutshell, the defensive players that are still healthy and playing are not up to BG10 level right now.

Would be nice to have KHH or Beck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically, that's what he said...he stated the obvious to anyone who's watched the team the past few games:
"The secondary couldn't even get off a block to make a play on the second level" [this is what bugged me the most during the game...lack of ferociousness required to be a good defensive player]

In a nutshell, the defensive players that are still healthy and playing are not up to BG10 level right now.

No.... We missed tackles at the point of attack (coaching), we had blown coverages (coaching), we had bad schemes (coaching). There was not a noticable difference of talent between us and Illinois.

No.... We missed tackles at the point of attack (coaching), we had blown coverages (coaching), we had bad schemes (coaching). There was not a noticable difference of talent between us and Illinois.

Calm Down

Our athleticism was exposed by..........Illinois.

So in a few years we get some of Fleck's recruits rolling, we could be competitive against Illinois, maybe Rutgers? We get a little more experience in a few years and we'll have a 50/50 shot against N'Western or Maryland. but let's be honest, this is admitting that not only can't we beat teams unless we are athletically better than Illinois, we can't even be competitive. So we have thrown in the towel against beating the top 4 or 5 teams in the Big10, because we aren't getting better athletes than OSU anytime soon, and let's face it, not just beat them but even remain competitive. This is going to be a really hard sell for prospective season ticket holders.......

He mentioned all those too. Thing is, maybe you can enlighten us on what scheme you're gonna implement to make slower, less aggressive players be successful? These guys are simply getting blocked time and again while the RB cruises on by...

Yeah, it was pretty surprising how slow Howden was. You’re telling me a pretty highly rated Sapp is a worse player than this guy?

Barber is slow as hell. Huff has functional speed but can’t tackle well. Durr is adequate. Smith is elite but gets turned around some. Harris is slow. Thomas has been MIA most of the year. Martin is functional but has poor instincts. Cashman is quick for a LB but has his share of derps. The linemen were getting turned around and plowed all day.

He mentioned all those too. Thing is, maybe you can enlighten us on what scheme you're gonna implement to make slower, less aggressive players be successful? These guys are simply getting blocked time and again while the RB cruises on by...

They obviously are looking at the wrong things. Drill, drill, drill some more. Tackle drills. Hit. Maybe watch some horror flicks at breakfast.

Yeah, it was pretty surprising how slow Howden was. You’re telling me a pretty highly rated Sapp is a worse player than this guy?

Barber is slow as hell. Huff has functional speed but can’t tackle well. Durr is adequate. Smith is elite but gets turned around some. Harris is slow. Thomas has been MIA most of the year. Martin is functional but has poor instincts. Cashman is quick for a LB but has his share of derps. The linemen were getting turned around and plowed all day.
I think Howden is actually a fast guy, but looked slow today. I think he ran track in high school.

All of which is BS on his part. Really hard to take much of what he says seriously at this point. I fear a lot of players are beginning to think the same.

I think Howden is actually a fast guy, but looked slow today. I think he ran track in high school.

was on the relay teams that took first in the 4x100 (42.70) and 4x200 (1:28.87) • placed fourth in state meet in the 100 meters (11.21)

Maybe it's the oars on top of the helmets....too heavy...slows them down.

They obviously are looking at the wrong things. Drill, drill, drill some more. Tackle drills. Hit. Maybe watch some horror flicks at breakfast.

LOL. Yeah, you're right, I got a little worked up and irrational watching that game. To your point, during the game, I started to wonder if Fleck would pull a Bear Bryant in practice next week and drill, drill, drill until they dropped. But then I realized we're in 2018 and that probably wouldn't work anymore.

All of which is BS on his part. Really hard to take much of what he says seriously at this point. I fear a lot of players are beginning to think the same.

So what part of what Fleck said do you disagree with?

So what part of what Fleck said do you disagree with?

Where to start...he kept the DC after Nebraska. He has more talent than Kill or Claeys had but can't find a way to win against Illinois or even keep it close? Wake up.

Right now Fleck looks and sounds like a lost coach, not a coach that lost. He thought he was going to have a decent season this year and then this year happened. I feel bad for Coughlin.

Really, really not trying to be an a$$, but this Illinois team gave up 63 points TWICE already this year! Only scored 31 points against Kent State and the Gophers can't compete with them "athletically". C'mon.

Where to start...he kept the DC after Nebraska. He has more talent than Kill or Claeys had but can't find a way to win against Illinois or even keep it close? Wake up.

I gotta disagree with you on the talent part. The Gopher defenders on the field today in no way resemble the Kill/Claeys teams that had multiple all conference level players on defense especially in the backfield who remained healthy enough to play...unless you're one of those people who believe the players were purely a product of their coaches' tactical genius.

Last edited:

I gotta disagree with you on the talent part. The Gopher defenders on the field today in no way resemble the Kill/Claeys teams that had multiple all conference level players on defense especially in the backfield who remained healthy enough to play...unless you're one of those people who believe the players were purely a product of their coaches' tactical genius.

It's called developing and preparing talent. No question he has a higher baseline of talent.

I'm questioning the judgement in hiring a defensive coordinator who runs a hybrid 3-4 defense in the Big 10. I'm not paid millions of dollars a year to coach, but if I was King for a day we'd run a base 4-3 defense and run man zone in the back end.

Specific to the game today, are you really trying to tell me that they had significantly better athletes than we did?

Well, the previous staff did turn a 2-Star DB into an NFL player so there is that. If PJ didn’t like the talent of our secondary maybe he should have recruited better. His 2 best defensive recruits left school after 1 year. He has others that clearly aren’t B1G players in there. He has a walk on beating out other scholarship players. Let’s blame the talent he inherited tho.

I think it would be helpful if we had experience in the secondary but we don't. Those guys left before PJ got here and then PJ had two leave from his first class. This has been pointed out on this forum multiple times.

Kill had far more secondary talent in Juniors and Seniors than this team has.

You can say it's not true but then player for player explain how that is true.

I'm questioning the judgement in hiring a defensive coordinator who runs a hybrid 3-4 defense in the Big 10. I'm not paid millions of dollars a year to coach, but if I was King for a day we'd run a base 4-3 defense and run man zone in the back end.

Specific to the game today, are you really trying to tell me that they had significantly better athletes than we did?

I don't know. My eyes told me the Illini offensive talent was better than the defense we fielded today, but that's not saying much given the results the past few weeks. As for the 3-4 vs 4-3 scheme, I don't know enough about the specific situation to make an educated comment either. I love the 4-3 for Upper Midwest football if the team has enough depth of athletic defensive lineman that can play in space against today's spread and fast-paced offenses that are so prevalent. The 3-4 we're running now seems to really expose our LBs who have simply gotten run-blocked all year in space. In the end, I'll take a breath and root for them to show up against Purdue.

Ironic how the talent argument has evolved.

Well, the previous staff did turn a 2-Star DB into an NFL player so there is that. If PJ didn’t like the talent of our secondary maybe he should have recruited better. His 2 best defensive recruits left school after 1 year. He has others that clearly aren’t B1G players in there. He has a walk on beating out other scholarship players. Let’s blame the talent he inherited tho.

This team is Fleck's. It's all on him and he knows it. His stated plan is to protect and grow the young players for the long term. Right now that plan sucks. I hope it eventually works...but for now my Saturday's are probably best spent running errands and/or drinking beer.

These are excuses you make when you lose to a good team. If you’re making these excuses after being curb stomped by Illinois, you’re admitting a total system failure. Illinois is legit terrible. We made them look like alabama. Grim times for gopher football

I think it would be helpful if we had experience in the secondary but we don't. Those guys left before PJ got here and then PJ had two leave from his first class. This has been pointed out on this forum multiple times.

Kill had far more secondary talent in Juniors and Seniors than this team has.

You can say it's not true but then player for player explain how that is true.

Not illegal for Freshman or Sophomores to have talent. Also not illegal to coach kids you inherit to be better.

Top Bottom