Fleck postgame video

When everyone in the world can see that it's the defensive scheme that is NOT WORKING and Fleck's response is "we just don't have fast enough players".

That tells you what you need to know.

In a couple years, they will not be able to tear that garbage off the walls fast enough.

It's no different than Brewster's schtick: ***if*** you win ... fine. Don't care. But if you don't win?? Jebus ...

was on the relay teams that took first in the 4x100 (42.70) and 4x200 (1:28.87) • placed fourth in state meet in the 100 meters (11.21)

Maybe it's the oars on top of the helmets....too heavy...slows them down.

those times explain the problem. Not fast.

I like Fleck but the defense is getting worse. The season can't be over fast enough.

PJ FLeck has to quit p#ssy footing. It is not about team speed or talent. It is coaching and teaching defensive techniques. Robb's Smith system is horrible. They can't make adjustments in the second half because of lack of good sound fundamentals.

Teams with lest talented players can play better as a team because they play disciplined football and make the necessary adjustments and substitutions. They play solid team defense.

Like Ryan Burns has said, Robb Smith has to be questioned:

"I'm about the last Minnesota media member to come out and question Gopher defensive coordinator Robb Smith's hot seat, but I'm there now. It's extremely tiresome to watch ball carriers run free for will-breaking long touchdowns, but it continues to happen week after week in Big Ten play.

This defense has started nine plus upperclassmen for essentially the entire season. Upperclassmen such as Thomas Barber, Blake Cashman, Jacob Huff and Kamal Martin that we've seen play well, but they've absolutely regressed throughout Big Ten play for the second straight year. I'm not going to lump Carter Coughlin in with that group, as he continues to be a one man wrecking crew for this Gopher defensive line, as he's been all year with two more tackles for loss today.

The question that continues to rise to the top is why is this defense continuously out of their gaps, leading to missed tackles, and why can't this gap-schemed defense consistently figure out what gap they have. This defense doesn't have the excuse of starting nine underclassmen like the offense did today, and that's where Robb Smith comes in.

Why is his defense, week and week, being picked apart whether it's against the run or the pass?"

"My big takeaway is the "adjust on the run based on what they're doing", and where are these "adjustments"?

Minnesota's faced three Big Ten quarterbacks with athletic quarterbacks in Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois, and the results have somehow gotten worse in each successive week against these offenses.

Maryland: 315 total rushing yards, 432 total yards and 42 points.

Nebraska: 383 total rushing yards, 659 total yards and 53 points

Illinois: 430 total rushing yards, 646 total yards and 55 points."

"Illinois scored seven touchdowns on Saturday. The average length of those scores was 47.6 yards.

In their six Big Ten games, Minnesota's given up 31 touchdowns. The average length per score against this Gopher defense you ask? 34.74 yards.

Where is the progress? Especially following a performance this afternoon at Illinois where you gave up 333 yards on those seven scores, a new season-high in those big play yards on scores.

Whether it's defenders missing tackles at the line of scrimmage, at the second level or in the secondary, it's another game of missed tackles for this Gopher defense. They improved in that regard last week against Indiana, but then regressed once again on the road.

Fleck continues to take responsibility, and as he should. He's the head coach. But at what point does Fleck look at his defensive coordinator and what they're doing on that side of the ball and start to make changes.

I'm on the hill now that I don't believe that Smith's defensive scheme is going to work at Minnesota, but even if Fleck still believes the scheme will work once they get some athletes in, what is he going to do in these final three games?

You get a Purdue team that's been one big play after another, the Big Ten West leading Northwestern Wildcats and then you have to head to Madison where Minnesota hasn't won in a long time.

I get that the long-term play for Fleck is to recruit better athletes, which he's doing, but those players can't help until 2019 at the earliest.

Where have the adjustments been in Big Ten play, and how do Fleck and Smith make some in the final three games? That'll be arguably the biggest thing I'm monitoring in these final 2018 games.

It's time for Fleck to seriously take an extremely hard look at what Robb Smith is doing on defense, and why his defensive players aren't performing up to snuff."

Last edited:

Fleck is a broken record. He sounds like an overmatched Tim Brewster. He should just pre-record his press conference cause he has nothing and he has no clue how to get these kids better. His solution is to say the present kids are too slow and non-athletic or just too young. Essentially he's saying he and his coaches can't do any more, they just have to recruit better players.
Here's a tip PJ...how about you actually teach the present kids to succeed with what they have rather than make excuses for what they don't have.
Goodnight, the lame @$$ excuse in this presser is just pathetic. The man came across as clueless and in way over his head. I don't blame PJ. I blame the Snake [emoji216] Coyle. What a pathetic piece of worthlessness.

These are excuses you make when you lose to a good team. If you’re making these excuses after being curb stomped by Illinois, you’re admitting a total system failure. Illinois is legit terrible. We made them look like alabama. Grim times for gopher football

Absolutely. He is trying to make excuses like we were in a dogfight against Michigan. He is hoping that maybe a person or two outside of the small Fleckster contingent hasn't followed this Illinois team this year.

I like Fleck but the defense is getting worse. The season can't be over fast enough.

Well, just pretend it is and don't watch, then come back next year if you want.
As a fan, you can end the season whenever you want just by not watching.
I ended the Twins season in April this year.

Just so silly... "missed tackles" I cheered when we missed a tackle, it was improvement. They had guys running to the end zone in a straight line...nobody missed a tackle. Nobody was there. That is scheme. He is the guy recruiting this lack of speed. We will have a 40 something ranked class at best once February rolls around and everybody has their 24,25 plus guys.
I saw one practice...Seth Green was the best QB that day...about a week later he's a wide receiver. Now, he's still our best QB in the wildcat but we don't take advantage at the right times or often enough.
Cashman can make plays...the scheme made him invisible.
Barber can make tackles...the scheme made him invisible.
Huff can make plays...too often he was at the line of scrimmage at one end of the line...not blitzing...out of the play at the line of scrimmage...he plays safety.
The defensive coaching is confounding. It is not lack of talent.
PJ can blame the players but I'm pretty that's not a good long term plan.
Million signs from this guy....we had the athletes to compete with Ohio State but not Illinois? Consistency...okay...lack of talent F U

It doesn’t take speed and athleticism to be in position to make plays, it takes coaching knowledge and determination. Seems like he’s trying to put the blame on players and off of the coaches. Not good.

I am not a coach, but my eyes tell me that most of these long runs are happening, not because of missed tackles or our defenders are too slow, but because there is no one there! It's like Smith is calling a certain defensive play and gets burned because no one is in that gap. All I know is once they get by the line of scrimmage, they score. It's like we have no safeties or line backers, they are all in goal line stance or something.

OK, there’s definitely a lack of talent and speed on defense, but they played acceptable against Ohio State, so I don’t need Fleck’s excuses for this performance against what was (now it’s us) the doormat of the Big Ten West.

Fire Smith, and maybe I’ll watch another game this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, there’s definitely a lack of talent and speed on defense, but they played acceptable against Ohio State, so I don’t need Fleck’s excuses for this performance against what was (now it’s us) the doormat of the Big Ten West.

Fire Smith, and maybe I’ll watch another game this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy is Brewster. At least Brewster had good coaches for 2 seasons. Oh well minnybought the snake oil again

Fleck is a broken record. He sounds like an overmatched Tim Brewster. He should just pre-record his press conference cause he has nothing and he has no clue how to get these kids better. His solution is to say the present kids are too slow and non-athletic or just too young. Essentially he's saying he and his coaches can't do any more, they just have to recruit better players.
Here's a tip PJ...how about you actually teach the present kids to succeed with what they have rather than make excuses for what they don't have.
Goodnight, the lame @$$ excuse in this presser is just pathetic. The man came across as clueless and in way over his head. I don't blame PJ. I blame the Snake [emoji216] Coyle. What a pathetic piece of worthlessness.

The snake Coyle has a pretty good track record of hiring coaches so far. Maybe the snake actually knows what he's doing. After 50 years of loserville, a snake was needed.

The snake Coyle has a pretty good track record of hiring coaches so far. Maybe the snake actually knows what he's doing. After 50 years of loserville, a snake was needed.
I take it you think the football team is much improved...

I take it you think the football team is much improved...

Not yet, but they will be starting next year. I understand if you or others don't believe it or don't want to wait. But it will happen.

Fleck has a system and a plan. Brewster never did.
Brewster said he had a plan. His plan had no substance. Fleck has shown that he has no substantive plan for coaching up what he has. Instead he says what Brewster said...we need better recruits.

Fleck is losing the fan base. Its only a matter of time before he loses the team

Brewster said he had a plan. His plan had no substance. Fleck has shown that he has no substantive plan for coaching up what he has. Instead he says what Brewster said...we need better recruits.

Fleck has proven he can build a program at a MAC level. That's more then Brewster ever accomplished. No one thought Ciarrocca could coach offense last year. Now we've seen improvement with a bunch of freshman. Next year we'll start to see the same improvements on defense when we start to assemble an actual B1G defensive line.

Unless I'm going deaf, at the start of the presser, Fleck said the defense was "schematically sound." In other words, (If I understand that correctly), it's not the scheme, it's the execution. Or - don't blame the coaches, blame the players.

A couple of notes gleaned from BTN: Gophers have given up 30+ points in their last 8 conference games - longest such streak in program history. Also, Saturday's game was the most points Illinois has ever scored against the Gophers - and these team have been playing since the days of Red Freakin' Grange.

Fleck has proven he can build a program at a MAC level. That's more then Brewster ever accomplished. No one thought Ciarrocca could coach offense last year. Now we've seen improvement with a bunch of freshman. Next year we'll start to see the same improvements on defense when we start to assemble an actual B1G defensive line.

Well, maybe but at the end of the day, all we really have is what Fleck, GWG, and Face the Facts say. We haven't see n any indication on the field yet that this staff can field a competitive team on the Big10 level. Hopefully something changes.

Unless I'm going deaf, at the start of the presser, Fleck said the defense was "schematically sound." In other words, (If I understand that correctly), it's not the scheme, it's the execution. Or - don't blame the coaches, blame the players.

A couple of notes gleaned from BTN: Gophers have given up 30+ points in their last 8 conference games - longest such streak in program history. Also, Saturday's game was the most points Illinois has ever scored against the Gophers - and these team have been playing since the days of Red Freakin' Grange.

It makes me wonder how good of athletes you need to make Fleck and Smith's schemes work. It may be better than any of us have ever seen.

If we don’t have enough talent to keep pace with Illinois (Illinois!) then we have regressed not a little, but a lot.. Fleckticism growing...disaffection increasing...alienation rising...

Well, he knows what is going wrong. Interesting that Smith is one of the few coaches he did not bring with him from Western Michigan. Also interesting that Wash State played well tonight defensively in beating a very good and improving Cal team - occasional shots of Claeys up in his booth calling the shots: held Cal to 13 points.

Fleck is losing the fan base. Its only a matter of time before he loses the team

After this debacle, I was thinking about what would it take to give up on PJ before four years. He can lose the fan base now and should still get four full years to win them back.

I think it will be time to think about an early departure if PJ starts losing key recruits or getting significantly lower commitments. Recruiting has arguably improved considerably under PJ. If we see recruiting degrade, it will be time to conclude that PJ’s act is not as appealing to 17-18 year olds as we have been told. If that happens, it will be impossible to see any sign of progress.

But I remain hopeful that he will continue to get better athletes and course correct on obvious staff issues. Will never hope he stops repeating the same catch phrases over and over and over and over.

Losing the fan base:

After this debacle, I was thinking about what would it take to give up on PJ before four years. He can lose the fan base now and should still get four full years to win them back.

I think it will be time to think about an early departure if PJ starts losing key recruits or getting significantly lower commitments. Recruiting has arguably improved considerably under PJ. If we see recruiting degrade, it will be time to conclude that PJ’s act is not as appealing to 17-18 year olds as we have been told. If that happens, it will be impossible to see any sign of progress.

But I remain hopeful that he will continue to get better athletes and course correct on obvious staff issues. Will never hope he stops repeating the same catch phrases over and over and over and over.

I have been a season ticket holder since 1972 and I always try to stay positive and give the coach the benefit of the doubt. That being said, PJ lost me yesterday. At some point in time, I need to see improvement, the team needs to be heading in the right direction, aka: I need some "hope". Yesterday I saw none of the above. Someone once said, "you can lose a game, but you can't lose the team". Yesterday I saw a team that was "lost". I fear that I am not alone and I don't see a turnaround coming even next year. Year 3 will be significant if the team continues to flounder and no coaching changes are forthcoming. I, for one, am not sure I can continue to support him after what I saw yesterday.

I have been a season ticket holder since 1972 and I always try to stay positive and give the coach the benefit of the doubt. That being said, PJ lost me yesterday. At some point in time, I need to see improvement, the team needs to be heading in the right direction, aka: I need some "hope". Yesterday I saw none of the above. Someone once said, "you can lose a game, but you can't lose the team". Yesterday I saw a team that was "lost". I fear that I am not alone and I don't see a turnaround coming even next year. Year 3 will be significant if the team continues to flounder and no coaching changes are forthcoming. I, for one, am not sure I can continue to support him after what I saw yesterday.

Yes.

At some point, recruits will not buy into his rah rah. I think pj is perilously close to that territory now.

Top Bottom