Fleck postgame video

Looks like PJ has lost the fan base and the team.

Mark that down on 11/3/2018 for reference.

Fleck is a broken record. He sounds like an overmatched Tim Brewster. He should just pre-record his press conference cause he has nothing and he has no clue how to get these kids better. His solution is to say the present kids are too slow and non-athletic or just too young. Essentially he's saying he and his coaches can't do any more, they just have to recruit better players.
Here's a tip PJ...how about you actually teach the present kids to succeed with what they have rather than make excuses for what they don't have.
Goodnight, the lame @$$ excuse in this presser is just pathetic. The man came across as clueless and in way over his head. I don't blame PJ. I blame the Snake [emoji216] Coyle. What a pathetic piece of worthlessness.

Right on.

Fleck has a system and a plan. Brewster never did.
Yes but what if the system and the plan are total crap? Brewster thought he could recruit to glory and win? You have to be able to develop players, and coach them to be their best and play hard. I have seen less talented Gopher teams compete and play with a lot more effort then yesterday's bunch. This group shuts down and goes in to a shell when failure starts to happen and things are getting a little negative. I see a tons of C's on jerseys for the team to be bottling up and quitting on defense that early. Force feeding a scheme where you take your linebackers out of position is bugging me. Linebackers, the other side can read their keys so well that they can tell which side of the field your alignment is slanting to you have problems. The offset look is crap. All the D line has to to do is take on a block and not get moved out of the way and they cannot do that right now, just to improve a little. It was clear they needed take Barber out, teams are isolating on his tendancy to overpursue, move Cashman to his spot and bring in another guy after the first series, because all they were doing was running counter isolation plays opposite of where we were seeing Gophers lining up to fit gaps. We never see any in game adjustments to fix this junk. Tossing Howden to the wolves is
hurting team defense, it is clear he is not ready to play, he cannot tackle cover up the errors at free safety. Howden plays cause of the transfers, and Winfield injury, all the out of the gate plays happening because picking on the guy that is the weak link. There is far from elite effort from coaching to effort on defense. Coach needs a come to Jesus meeting with the defense especially D line. This is more than 1 or 2 missed tackles they are able to seal and isolate weaknesses in gaps. There needs to be some benchings, trying different people at linebacker and starting with free safety. Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The head coach coming out and publicly saying that the kids are slow and too young isn't helping the kids self confidence. How about changing the defensive scheme that is not working and properly developing players?

You are saying that the kids are not good enough, and that your job is to replace them with better players. Boy, that sure help the confidence of the team. What about recruits who see this as a sign that they will get cast away and given up if they are deemed not good enough?

Last edited:

Yes but what if the system and the plan are total crap? Brewster thought he could recruit to glory and win? You have to be able to develop players, and coach them to be their best and play hard.

Exactly this. This is why I always struggled with this hire. He was never great at scheming or developing players at Western. They won because of recruiting and he pretty much had a team of bottom-half big 10 talent playing in the MAC. That philosophy can't work here, where you will always have less talent than 1/2 of your conference opponents.

As for a new DC, I agree that help is needed. However, it is always dififcult for a 3rd year coach who has been struggling to get any talented coordinator. Top guys dont want to get to places where the coach may only have a year or two left.

Exactly this. This is why I always struggled with this hire. He was never great at scheming or developing players at Western. They won because of recruiting and he pretty much had a team of bottom-half big 10 talent playing in the MAC. That philosophy can't work here, where you will always have less talent than 1/2 of your conference opponents.

As for a new DC, I agree that help is needed. However, it is always dififcult for a 3rd year coach who has been struggling to get any talented coordinator. Top guys dont want to get to places where the coach may only have a year or two left.

He wasn't? Go check out the players he helped put in the NFL. Not all of them were highly recruited.

This guy is Brewster. At least Brewster had good coaches for 2 seasons. Oh well minnybought the snake oil again
Brewster had some clue as to what was wrong, and he knew what good coaches were, just couldn't keep em. He just wasn't able to keep good coaches and fix problems. Fleck acts oblivious that it is just missed tackles, and personel problem of youth. There are math problems on defense, trying to play 3 4 without the front or length and fit wrong gaps. From offset alignment to not cover gaps, a lot of over pursuit up front, and leaving the middle of the field wide open. It's the same people making the same mistakes every week and Howden the free safety should not be playing Need to find people that can do what your asking them to do. Getting your clock cleaned on defense every week is wearing old. Brewster recognized this and at least tried to replace people. Fleck runs around like a putz hopped up on Mountain Dew. Less jabber about culture, more actual football coaching. He must have some friends in coaching he can lean on and call for advice. It's not all Smith's fault
But he could suggest changes in who plays. I would really like to see that Rush kid at linebacker, I think he could help with bleeding about bad tackling and rallying to the ball.

Last edited:

PJ can sell a coordinator on some decent players and besides, coaches have to know they are always on notice for a short job stint. Many coaches move virtually every 1-2 years. Hungry coaches from lower conferences will be attracted by the lottery winning salary they will earn at a Big Ten program and the Big Ten job experience. PJ can sell hope and the future and he could still pull it off but he needs to act in the next 6 weeks or so. A Big Ten coordinator stint looks good on a resume barring a historic and well publicized disaster eg Robb Smith.

IMHO, the time to act with urgency was after the Maryland game.

Fleck is a broken record. He sounds like an overmatched Tim Brewster. He should just pre-record his press conference cause he has nothing and he has no clue how to get these kids better. His solution is to say the present kids are too slow and non-athletic or just too young. Essentially he's saying he and his coaches can't do any more, they just have to recruit better players.
Here's a tip PJ...how about you actually teach the present kids to succeed with what they have rather than make excuses for what they don't have.
Goodnight, the lame @$$ excuse in this presser is just pathetic. The man came across as clueless and in way over his head. I don't blame PJ. I blame the Snake [emoji216] Coyle. What a pathetic piece of worthlessness.

The thing that’s funny is, all the excuses fluffy hype gives for you guys, are excuses Brohm could give too. By the end, Darrell Hazell was losing recruits to Wofford. Yesterday Grant Hermanns, a two star hazell recruit who starts at left tackle, had surgery and was out. Brohm plugged in Eric Swingler, who I’m pretty sure rivals didn’t even rate, and won.

Fluffy hype either needs to coach or shut up.

Anyway, what say ye of next weekends game?

He wasn't? Go check out the players he helped put in the NFL. Not all of them were highly recruited.

Davis, Okofor and Moton all had Big 10 offers. (Okofor turned down MSU). Not sure about the rest. I'm sure some other players were developed,however, if you watched their 2016 team, it was clear their athleticism was on a different level vs. their competition.

The thing that’s funny is, all the excuses fluffy hype gives for you guys, are excuses Brohm could give too. By the end, Darrell Hazell was losing recruits to Wofford. Yesterday Grant Hermanns, a two star hazell recruit who starts at left tackle, had surgery and was out. Brohm plugged in Eric Swingler, who I’m pretty sure rivals didn’t even rate, and won.

I don't think many on this board would disagree that you got the better coach. But you got a hire before we started, so kudos to your team for that. Would love to see Purdue win the West, anyone but Becky! As for next weekend your squad will hang 60 on the Gophers as this is an epically bad defense that is regressing week by week. On offense the Gophers have some players and they will put some points on your squad. 62-31 is my prediction with over 700 yards of offense by your squad. Enjoy your route!

After this debacle, I was thinking about what would it take to give up on PJ before four years. He can lose the fan base now and should still get four full years to win them back.

I think it will be time to think about an early departure if PJ starts losing key recruits or getting significantly lower commitments. Recruiting has arguably improved considerably under PJ. If we see recruiting degrade, it will be time to conclude that PJ’s act is not as appealing to 17-18 year olds as we have been told. If that happens, it will be impossible to see any sign of progress.

But I remain hopeful that he will continue to get better athletes and course correct on obvious staff issues. Will never hope he stops repeating the same catch phrases over and over and over and over.

Like another poster said...I wonder what talent level is needed to make a Fleck coached Gopher team successful. Morgan was 12/25 for 108 yards before those two long passes at the end of the game down by almost 30. That's against a defense ranked 127 in Total Defense, 121 in Passing Yards allowed, and 122 in Rush Defense. This staff has been out coached repeatedly on both sides of the ball. Once again there were puzzling calls and time outs taken. How does the offense manage to get an illegal procedure penalty coming out of a time out?

As for four years (2020), you have to believe that these more talented Fr/So starters will develop in the next two years and perform at a much higher level than those they replaced. Additionally, you have to believe the incoming talent develop much faster or can immediately perform at a much higher level than those they replaced. If not, then you are looking at 2022 or beyond to get back to the 8-9 win bar IMHO.

It's going to be cold as hell and nearly an empty stadium. Fleck is dwindling fan base not growing it with his row the boat crapola. Our tickets are over priced for the marketplace. Purdue is going score a lot if they isolate plays on the free safety Howden. He is Winfield's replacement, should not be playing but does cause of transfers, lack of depth in program.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

was on the relay teams that took first in the 4x100 (42.70) and 4x200 (1:28.87) • placed fourth in state meet in the 100 meters (11.21)

Maybe it's the oars on top of the helmets....too heavy...slows them down.

I don't think his 100m time is all that great. That probably translates to a 4.7-4.8 40 time.

It's going to be cold as hell and nearly an empty stadium. Fleck is dwindling fan base not growing it with his row the boat crapola. Our tickets are over priced for the marketplace. Purdue is going score a lot if they isolate plays on the free safety Howden. He is Winfield's replacement, should not be playing but does cause of transfers, lack of depth in program.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

To many, $1 would be overpriced to watch a team get butt whooped on defense with minimal chance to win.

I am not a coach, but my eyes tell me that most of these long runs are happening, not because of missed tackles or our defenders are too slow, but because there is no one there! It's like Smith is calling a certain defensive play and gets burned because no one is in that gap. All I know is once they get by the line of scrimmage, they score. It's like we have no safeties or line backers, they are all in goal line stance or something.

I have a hard time believing Rob Smith is that bad at guessing the correct defensive play call and even if that is the case he absolutely should be gone. The defense has regressed this year. There is zero reason to keep the guy. Whether is is epically bad at guessing what the other team is going to run or has poor schemes doesn't matter at this point. If he isn't replaced at least after this year I will be convinced PJ is nothing but a blowhard and will fail here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly right. Yes, recruiting better players always help. But you will never have the best talent in the conference at Minnesota. You need a coach who has an identity and can coach up lesser talent that fits the system. PJ isn’t that guy. Look at other Big Ten West schools that have moderate levels of success. They have identities, they develop talent, they recruit to their system. They don’t consistently have top 20 recruiting classes. Maybe Nebraska can get back to that level, but that’s about it.

Fleck has proven he can build a program at a MAC level. That's more then Brewster ever accomplished. No one thought Ciarrocca could coach offense last year. Now we've seen improvement with a bunch of freshman. Next year we'll start to see the same improvements on defense when we start to assemble an actual B1G defensive line.

Fleck did not build a program at WMU - he caught lightning in a bottle for his ne season and left no legacy. Did you see how pathetic they were the other day against Ohio? Fleck is not a good coach - full stop

I don't think many on this board would disagree that you got the better coach. But you got a hire before we started, so kudos to your team for that. Would love to see Purdue win the West, anyone but Becky! As for next weekend your squad will hang 60 on the Gophers as this is an epically bad defense that is regressing week by week. On offense the Gophers have some players and they will put some points on your squad. 62-31 is my prediction with over 700 yards of offense by your squad. Enjoy your route!

I wasn’t trying to do a coach pissing contest. Fleck would bother me if I were a grad of any big ten school, including Minnesota. Just like Tom Allen. Cries and cries about excuses but the coaches who never stop rising can make even the most dog**** of situations into something that shows improvement. As much as frost is the f-ing WORST Nebraska has improved.

We could use a game against a team that has given up. But I do wish we were playing one of masons teams

Fleck did not build a program at WMU - he caught lightning in a bottle for his ne season and left no legacy. Did you see how pathetic they were the other day against Ohio? Fleck is not a good coach - full stop

Um yeah he did. He was there for 4 seasons and won 8+ in three of them. Did Fleck leave Minnesota to coach against Ohio the other day? I must have missed it. :confused:

This is the dumbest thing I read today.

So if he left and they were still winning 13 games what would the story be?

My assumption has always been that it was supposed to work like this: Fleck has his "culture" and he preaches it to his kids, and that is part of the draw to recruits, they want to be part of that. And so that is how he gets superior talent recruited to his program.

I assumed that he won at Western because he got better players there than the rest of the MAC. Which is just fine. So long as he could do something like that here.

People say "you can't get those type of players to come to Minnesota". But I just don't buy that. How does Wisconsin do it??? There is nothing magical about being in Madison, Wisconsin. Nothing euphoric or existentially enjoyable. But they get good enough players to come there, to win the Big Ten. If they can do that there, we sure as heck should be able to do it in Minneapolis.

Until recently Wisconsin was not really recruiting at a high level (and still aren’t elite level). Per the Alvarez article he looked for a “type” that was hard-nosed and tough. Then, coach em up. It worked in the Big Ten. These days schools need more athletes from down south but still need those salt of the earth, high motor, high work ethic types. Wisconsin has had a high number of walk on types succeed with their coaching and system. Alvarez needs to retire. Even then look for them to go back to the alumni well to keep doing it their way.

Fleck pretty much admits the lack athleticism with the defense that's playing right now. It's painfully obvious. A lot of that's on him via recruiting and going young...albeit with some bad luck on injuries. The defense right now reminds me of the worst of the Wacker era. Some people a little older than me mention the Salem era as terrible...I don't know if it could get worse.

No, a lot of this is due to hiring a friend whose defense gave up an average of 9.7 yards per play in the SEC who got Bret Bilema fired.

Until recently Wisconsin was not really recruiting at a high level (and still aren’t elite level). Per the Alvarez article he looked for a “type” that was hard-nosed and tough. Then, coach em up. It worked in the Big Ten. These days schools need more athletes from down south but still need those salt of the earth, high motor, high work ethic types. Wisconsin has had a high number of walk on types succeed with their coaching and system. Alvarez needs to retire. Even then look for them to go back to the alumni well to keep doing it their way.

You are correct, sir! Could not have said it better.

My assumption has always been that it was supposed to work like this: Fleck has his "culture" and he preaches it to his kids, and that is part of the draw to recruits, they want to be part of that. And so that is how he gets superior talent recruited to his program.

I assumed that he won at Western because he got better players there than the rest of the MAC. Which is just fine. So long as he could do something like that here.

People say "you can't get those type of players to come to Minnesota". But I just don't buy that. How does Wisconsin do it??? There is nothing magical about being in Madison, Wisconsin. Nothing euphoric or existentially enjoyable. But they get good enough players to come there, to win the Big Ten. If they can do that there, we sure as heck should be able to do it in Minneapolis.

Wisconsin is much easier to recruit to than here. Not even close.

A few reasons

1) Camp Randall's atmosphere pre, during and post is one of the best in the country. Badger football is the only thing going in Madison and get support we could only dream of.

2) Geography. Madison is 2 hours from the Chicago area, which produces at least 5x more top quality recruits that Minnesota/Western Wisconsin. For recruits who want to stay close to home, there are many more opportunities.

3) Wisconsin understands its identify and recruits to it. Big powerful line play, power football with athletes on the outside as necessary.

There is a reason that PJ is trying to recruit Chicago hard because of the #s of talent. Arguably our best 2019 committ (nubin) is from chicago burbs. But thats not enought to make a recruiting class, especially without a recent history of success.

Top Bottom