[POST GAME THREAD] - Illinois defeats Minnesota 55 - 31

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
What’d ya think, Gopherhole?

(I can probably guess)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck is young, I'll give him a pass... but if he keeps Smith around next year, no more passes.

COMMON PJ - PLEASE GIVE US SOMETHING TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT. UPSET SOMEONE IN THE REMAINING SCHEDULE.

MY PREFERENCE: WISCY!

Was really surprised that the offense looked so impotent. Maybe some credit to Lovie for calling a good game. Tanner was off on a lot of passes and not having Greene was big.
So do you go back to Zack for next game?

Seriously, who is going to come in and help this defense next year???? Winfield? He can’t stay healthy. Who’s going to help the secondary? D line? Answer??? Can anyone think of some people?

Just heard in post-game that this team is historic in yards yielded per game...

Not once but twice this season.

Football at the U started in 1882...

Clearly a case of trying to fix what ain't broke...'cuz the D wasn't broke under the previous schemes.

Was really surprised that the offense looked so impotent. Maybe some credit to Lovie for calling a good game. Tanner was off on a lot of passes and not having Greene was big.

I say stick with Tanner, honestly he didn't look that bad. He wasn't great but they had pressure on him all day... so he did fine. It's hard to play good when you're constantly trying to play catch up and they're just rushing the passer and getting through.

Fleck will need to decide if he believes this 3-4 scheme they’re using will work in the B1G once they recruit the players needed to run it.

Or he decides it won’t work and fires Robb Smith and go in an different direction with the defense.

As he had said it’s all on him.

Last edited:

I'm not impressed

I'm optimistic guy, but this season has been trying.

I used be fleck gets 4 years, but if we fail improve next year, he should be fired

Let them split time. They’re freshmen and inconsistent.

Smith stunk at Arkansas and he stinks at MN. PJ whiffed on him, jut like he whiffed on VV

I'm not impressed

I'm optimistic guy, but this season has been trying.

I used be fleck gets 4 years, but if we fail improve next year, he should be fired

Fail to improve from what? We're regressing, and the "we're young" excuses doesn't hold water after we get destroyed by a younger Illinois and a just as young Iowa.

Offense got 31 points but didn't seem smooth all day.

Greene missing (and the rest of the line play) seemed to matter quite a bit.

Fail to improve from what? We're regressing, and the "we're young" excuses doesn't hold water after we get destroyed by a younger Illinois and a just as young Iowa.

Yes, thats why he needs to improve next year, whole team

I feel like everyone will focus on the defense in this thread, and rightly so, HOWEVER the Gophers had five...FIVE possessions in a row against Illinois that resulted in no points. I am not going to bother to look it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the first time that a team has failed to score on Illinois five straight time. This was a complete disaster on both sides of the football. The strange decisions to run the ball down 21 in the 2nd half were baffling as was the punt from near midfield down 28 in the 3rd quarter (the Gophers would get a break here when the punt hit an Illini player and still fail to score). The capper of the day was PJ using to need a timeout after a kickoff because the play clock was running out on his offense. This game ranks up there with the Gophers, in Kill's best year, allowing Illinois to break their years long losing streak in B1G games in pure WTF? moments. In terms of an overall debacle it's much worse and ranks with losing to New Mexico State, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, etc, etc. The team looked totally inept in all phases of the game and it speaks very poorly of Coach Fleck.

We also need to acknowledge that the Gophers are putting some very bad football players on the field. You don't get blown out by Illinois without it being a combination of bad coaching and lack of talent. The scary thing is, I don't think any of us know where the upgrades are coming from at LB or S. You can maybe point to some promise on the DL with the Juco DT's coming in and the big time DE out of Illinois and another year in the weight room for Mafe and Big E, but that's the best I can do as far as optimism.

Not Elite play by defense. Less than elite tackling angles and poor positioning by defense all day. Linebacker play especially is deteriorating each game. Nobody is taking on blocks and rallying to the ball. To many people vacating their own gap. There is a major disconnect between defensive calls then execution. This is what happens when people not ready to play get tossed in to the fire. This is turning in to wildfire on defense blazing out of control with what seems like a complete lack of on field discipline. We lack defensive lineman that can hold the point of attack. 1 guy misses a tackle or over runs the ball carrier and it is game over touchdown. Honestly # 21 and # 41 should both be benched for a series or two. We lacked leadership at safety and middle linebacker all year.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Not good. Not good at all.

Absolutely not

Just another game in a string of many years of disappointing games. New facilities, different coaches, different players it doesn't matter. Some teams have a place in the hierarchy, this is the lot in life of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

I can sum it up in three words: OH YOU BLOCKHEADS!!!

Seriously, who is going to come in and help this defense next year???? Winfield? He can’t stay healthy. Who’s going to help the secondary? D line? Answer??? Can anyone think of some people?

It's the coaching, not the talent. Hope Fleck has figured that out.

COMMON PJ - PLEASE GIVE US SOMETHING TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT. UPSET SOMEONE IN THE REMAINING SCHEDULE.

MY PREFERENCE: WISCY!

N'western may be our best shot as they will have had two really tough games just before us. On a rare positive note, on a bad day for him, Morgan hit just over 50% of his passes, which would have been a good day for most Gopher QBs in recent years (including two big-play TDs).

N'western may be our best shot as they will have had two really tough games just before us. On a rare positive note, on a bad day for him, Morgan hit just over 50% of his passes, which would have been a good day for most Gopher QBs in recent years (including two big-play TDs).

150 yards on two pass plays while down by 30 in 4th qtr to a pretty bad team. I guess...

Northwesternwaa within 3 points of #4 in country late in 4th qtr. Our best shot... really?

Top Bottom