Who does PJ hire as DC?

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Let’s start the list. Get a top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defensive S&P rankings currently: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef

Looking at that, first non P5 team is northern Illinois, followed by San Diego state, then Temple, and Fresno State. I'd take a look at those teams, but that's just at a glance

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It’s going to have to be either a low level coordinator at a non power 5 or a position coach. No one is going to want to walk into this for the money well be willing to pay

How about someone off the Michigan State staff. They always seem to play stout defense. PJ needs to stop hiring his friends and people he has coached with.

Someone who can sprint with them between quarters. Robb doesn’t do it.

Seriously, I think it has to be an "established" coach. Can't be some up-and-comer from a mid-level school. Needs to be someone with an actual track record of successful coaching at the D1 level.

Which means they will have to overpay - and I mean overpay by a LOT - to get someone like that in here.

So, what the Gophers need is to find a really good DC who is looking for a job, and has financial problems (maybe just got divorced) and needs the money.

Seriously, I think it has to be an "established" coach. Can't be some up-and-comer from a mid-level school. Needs to be someone with an actual track record of successful coaching at the D1 level.

Which means they will have to overpay - and I mean overpay by a LOT - to get someone like that in here.

So, what the Gophers need is to find a really good DC who is looking for a job, and has financial problems (maybe just got divorced) and needs the money.

pretty funny

You are not supposed to ask those type of questions in this forum...

So Coyle should double down...

Scottie Hazelton at Wyoming. He was Bohl's DC at NDSU, and since he brought him in at Wyoming last year the D has been night and day better
with many of the same players.

Jeff Knowles, Northern Illinois DC and an Illinois native like Fleck.

PJ Fleck needs to hire a Defensive Coordinator who is a former head coach who rose up on the defensive side who will stay for the long haul. Or a defensive coordinator from an up and coming program.

You are going against some very good head coaches in the Big Ten who will pick apart the weakness of your defense. They know Robb Smith's system can be exploited without even trying too hard especially RPO teams with athletic quarterbacks.

Anyone who coach Zimmerman recommends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

very few coaches would pass Fleck's culture test

We could probably afford the D-Coord's from these top 20 defensive teams. Open that wallet.

1 Michigan
2 Southern Mississippi
3 Miami
4 Appalachian State
5 Clemson
6 Iowa
7 UAB
8 Iowa State
9 Mississippi State
10 Utah

11 Cincinnati
12 Kentucky
13 San Diego State
14 West Virginia
15 Georgia
16 Fresno State
17 Alabama
18 California
19 East Carolina
20 Charlotte

If I'm the Gophers, I'm giving Dave Aranda, Brent Venables, and Don Brown a call.

Top Bottom