Who does PJ hire as DC?

Zach Arnett out of San Diego St.

I like this idea quite a bit. I think he's 32 years old, and has SDSU ranked 12th in S&P defense. Been a member of SDSU's solid defensive staff for 5 years, with this being his first as a defensive coordinator.

However, he is coaching for Rocky Long who is the same coach he played for. Rocky is 68 years old so who knows how much longer he'd be coaching. Arnett could stick it out and be the logical choice to replace him.

Someone who can sprint with them between quarters. Robb doesn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the D ever been on the field long enough for the quarters to change?

MIKE SHERELS! MIKE SHERELS! MIKE SHERELS!

So you want your head coach and defensive coordinator to both be guys that have never been coordinators before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue who it will be, but I bet they run an even front defense and fit what Fleck is looking for. Earth shattering isn't it?

I like this idea quite a bit. I think he's 32 years old, and has SDSU ranked 12th in S&P defense. Been a member of SDSU's solid defensive staff for 5 years, with this being his first as a defensive coordinator.

However, he is coaching for Rocky Long who is the same coach he played for. Rocky is 68 years old so who knows how much longer he'd be coaching. Arnett could stick it out and be the logical choice to replace him.

If Long steps down as head coach, Jeff Horton (yep, that Jeff Horton, who I think would make a good HC for San Diego) will get the nod to be the new head coach. I think Arnett would be interested in moving up to the P5, and I think the Gophers would be a good fit for him, and he a good match for us...

I like the Scottie Hazelton idea too.

Bohl would bring him with, if he gets a P5 offer this off season. Kansas just opened up. Not saying Bohl is a front runner by any means.

Jeff Knowles - NIU

Not impossible, money talks. This is his first year as a DC, and he has pretty deep roots in state of ILL.

If Long steps down as head coach, Jeff Horton (yep, that Jeff Horton, who I think would make a good HC for San Diego) will get the nod to be the new head coach. I think Arnett would be interested in moving up to the P5, and I think the Gophers would be a good fit for him, and he a good match for us...

Again not impossible, and money talks. But, as was said, he has pretty deep roots in New Mexico and San Diego now. Also his first year as DC. Would be a pretty radical change.

Also first year DC for Fresno St and Temple, as suggested earlier in the thread. Just don't know if any of these guys would be willing to take a big career risk on Fleck and coming to Minnesota.

Maybe, but Horton is 61 himself. He hasn't been a full time head coach for 20 years. He may be willing to ride out the rest of his career as a coordinator.

I just don't see why any of those guys would take such a huge risk in their careers right now, to hitch their wagons to Fleck and come to Minnesota ... at least right now. Yes money is great. Having a chance at a P5 is great. But it isn't automatic.

Jeff is 1.000 in trophy games (penn st doesn't count).... BRING BACK JEFF!

My money would be on Ed Pinkham, DC from UMass. #125 nationally in scoring defense but coached with Fleck at Rutgers and WMU. Also coached here under Gutey from 89-91.

The Schiano mafia sticks together.

lots of ways to go.
1. young, up-and-comer type.
2. grizzled veteran type
3. promote from within

On the one hand, coming to MN at this point could be a risk - not sure how long Fleck will be here, etc. BUT, if someone comes in here and shows any improvement - which shouldn't be that hard - they look good and help their future career opportunities. so, if someone is reasonably confident that they can do better than Smith, there are reasons to take this job. and, Fleck does not appear to be the type of coach who micro-manages his coordinators. seems to give them room to run things their way. If you were coming in as a DC, and the head coach was a defensive type, that would be more problematic. But Fleck is an offensive guy, so the DC probably has plenty of freedom.

lots of ways to go.
2. grizzled veteran type
3. promote from within

On the one hand, coming to MN at this point could be a risk - not sure how long Fleck will be here, etc. BUT, if someone comes in here and shows any improvement - which shouldn't be that hard - they look good and help their future career opportunities. so, if someone is reasonably confident that they can do better than Smith, there are reasons to take this job. and, Fleck does not appear to be the type of coach who micro-manages his coordinators. seems to give them room to run things their way. If you were coming in as a DC, and the head coach was a defensive type, that would be more problematic. But Fleck is an offensive guy, so the DC probably has plenty of freedom.

This. A lot of people are thinking that nobody will want to come here for X, Y and Z reason. Power 5 DC jobs don't come up every day. If that's your ultimate goal - you'd be well served to take an opportunity. Even if it doesn't go well, you have that experience, go back to wherever you were (G5 DC or P5 position), then when the next opportunity comes it's still a positive that you have experience. There really isn't a downside of taking that job, especially now.

I'd love to see the Gophers go after a position coach from a good defensive P5 school.

I can't believe I went through all these posts and Jay Sawvel's name wasn't mentioned. He is currently unemployed... :rolleyes:

Other names I'd be shocked if they happened, but... Mike Stoops (currently unemployed) and Carl Pelini (Bo's brother, was DC at Nebraska, started the year as DC at Bowling Green, currently interim HC).

Last edited:

This. A lot of people are thinking that nobody will want to come here for X, Y and Z reason. Power 5 DC jobs don't come up every day. If that's your ultimate goal - you'd be well served to take an opportunity. Even if it doesn't go well, you have that experience, go back to wherever you were (G5 DC or P5 position), then when the next opportunity comes it's still a positive that you have experience. There really isn't a downside of taking that job, especially now.

Well said. Have you all seen coaching resumes? Better to be experienced at a level and gotten fired than never been there at all. Gophers could have most any position coach college or pro for the role, and could likely score most any non-P5 coordinator as well. A surprising number of FCS/lower division head coaches would bail to be our DC too, because it's a raise.

A name to consider - Mike Nolan. I'm not advocating for it, merely throwing the name out there.

A name to consider - Mike Nolan. I'm not advocating for it, merely throwing the name out there.

He would be a major coup of a hire. Not perfect, but his experience is too strong to pass up.

I'd love to see the Gophers go after a position coach from a good defensive P5 school.

I can't believe I went through all these posts and Jay Sawvel's name wasn't mentioned. He is currently unemployed... :rolleyes:

Other names I'd be shocked if they happened, but... Mike Stoops (currently unemployed) and Carl Pelini (Bo's brother, was DC at Nebraska, started the year as DC at Bowling Green, currently interim HC).

Correct, this is a highly coveted job. DC in the B1G, potential to make a splash.

I just don't see why any of those guys would take such a huge risk in their careers right now, to hitch their wagons to Fleck and come to Minnesota ... at least right now. Yes money is great. Having a chance at a P5 is great. But it isn't automatic.

I'm on the opposite side of that opinion. I think the MN DC position is a great opp for an upcoming coach.

(1) There's a huge upside to show how you can turn around a D's performance (because of how terrible we've been this year)
(2) There's the new facilities (helps with recruiting and with training for existing players)
(3) We do have a lot of nice players that are young (it does take time for an 18 yr old to bulk up to defensive player size)
(4) And those young players have gotten some game experience
(5) And the head coach is going to be around for several years (there's no way Fleck is going to get dumped before then).

This is about as good of a shot as an upcoming DC is going to have for entry into the P5 ranks. And this is especially true for Zach Arnett as he isn't going to have a chance to follow his existing Head Coach to a P5 position. Just my rambling thoughts...

lots of ways to go.
2. grizzled veteran type
3. promote from within

If his Nebraska payouts are up I’d go for Bo Pelini. He’s been around blue chip winning programs and was responsible for the last decent Nebraska defense. Nick Holt type screamer. Interesting contrast to new age PJ.

No may have sights set higher, but may be radioactive for many ADs

If his Nebraska payouts are up I’d go for Bo Pelini. He’s been around blue chip winning programs and was responsible for the last decent Nebraska defense. Nick Holt type screamer. Interesting contrast to new age PJ.

No may have sights set higher, but may be radioactive for many ADs

Bo is intriguing...has had a couple middling years at YSU and Fleck could at least double the HC salary he is getting now.

Whoever it is I'm sure my reaction will be the same as it was when I was a kid at Christmas and opened up a 6-pack of black socks while totally expecting a Coleco Electronic Quarterback.

If our D was properly schemed and coached up we would have a decent D and several more wins. I don't think we need a major retooling, just a good DC that can stomach the RTB nonsense. If Fleck gets a good DC he will again be considered to be here as long as he wants to be here. When we become regular contenders that could be a long time. Really, who did not know Smith was going to be gone this year?

Last edited:

Top Bottom