Who does PJ hire as DC?

He got ran out of Arizona state for same reason Smith got fired here.

One huge difference....Patterson has a track record of success. His D. hasn't gotten progressively worse every year and every place he's been.

There's some chatter about Marcus Freeman, DC at Cincy. Former OSU linebacker, previously co-DC at Purdue.

I'd be good with this, but I'm guessing that Freeman's going to hold out for a Head Coaching job. I'm still going to guess (total wild card, no inside info whatsoever) that if it's an "up and comer" it'll be Zach Arnett... If it's an "established coach", I wonder if Bob Stoops wants to come out of retirement....

I'd be good with this, but I'm guessing that Freeman's going to hold out for a Head Coaching job. I'm still going to guess (total wild card, no inside info whatsoever) that if it's an "up and comer" it'll be Zach Arnett... If it's an "established coach", I wonder if Bob Stoops wants to come out of retirement....

I know you said wild guess, that's fine ..... but why does the name Zach Arnett keep coming up?? Fleck has no association with him.

At least if it were Fresno's DC, you could say something like "Fleck liked what he saw, when we played them". It would at least have that Gary Andersen going from Utah St to Wisconsin feel ...

I know you said wild guess, that's fine ..... but why does the name Zach Arnett keep coming up?? Fleck has no association with him.

At least if it were Fresno's DC, you could say something like "Fleck liked what he saw, when we played them". It would at least have that Gary Andersen going from Utah St to Wisconsin feel ...

Because San Diego State has had highly ranked defenses year over year and he has been on the staff and been promoted throughout that time? Big upside if you ask me. Why does it matter if Fleck has had an association with the next DC?

in the coaching fraternity, a lot of it is about relationships. Coaches hire other coaches they know, or have worked with before, or worked with a buddy of theirs and comes with a glowing recommendation. It's rare to hire someone who is a 'stranger.' There's almost always some type of connection.

So, I maintain that - if the new DC comes from outside the program - it will be someone who has a connection with Fleck. It may not be a direct connection, but it will be some type of a connection.

Ya,Hazelton is getting it done at Wyoming. They have won same number of games as the Gophers. Seth Wallace would be a much better candidate. No question.

Lol. I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again.

Sometimes timing is only timing. Appreciate the ability to laugh at myself/yourself.

Necessary trait as a fan of many teams I cheer for.

oops wrong thread...and forum, not to start another one of those threads

Last edited:

I feel our defense has been like cats lately....Is Bennett Presser available?

Brady Hoke might be worth a look. He's currently the DLine coach for the Carolina Panthers. He definitely has the knowledge and experience but is getting a bit long in the tooth (just turned 60).

Brady Hoke might be worth a look. He's currently the DLine coach for the Carolina Panthers. He definitely has the knowledge and experience but is getting a bit long in the tooth (just turned 60).

I don't think we can handle that much clapping.

Because San Diego State has had highly ranked defenses year over year and he has been on the staff and been promoted throughout that time? Big upside if you ask me. Why does it matter if Fleck has had an association with the next DC?

SDSU has been great on defense for a singular reason: Rocky Long.

He was the head coach at New Mexico for 11 seasons (1998-2008) ... only had one 8 win season and one 9 win season there. Tough place to win, I guess. Then Brady Hoke went to SDSU in 2009 and hired Rocky as his DC, which he was for 2009-2010. Hoke quickly got SDSU to 9 wins in 2010, and then skipped town to Michigan. But he couldn't convince Rocky to come with him to Ann Arbor. And we know what happened after that.

Meanwhile Rocky stayed to become the HC at SDSU ... but he also kept the DC duties for himself. This is his 8th season at SDSU, and they've won 8 or more games every year except one 7 win season. He's had two 11 win seasons, a 10 win, and a 9 win. They're 7-2 this year, facing stiff competition from Fresno since Tedford arrived.

Only in 2017 did Rocky finally give up DC duties. Danny Gonzales had it for one year in 2017, and was immediately scooped up by Arizona St. Now Zach Arnett is the DC for the first time in his career. *IF* he gets scooped up by a P5, my bet is that he would prefer to stay in the far west, so a PAC program or maybe a Big 12 like Texas Tech or something along those lines. Wild guess.

All well and good .... but none of these people have anything to do with Fleck. I doubt Fleck has ever met any of them.

I'm not at all saying it's a bad thing to reach out of your known circle/coaching tree. Can be a good thing actually. I just don't get the attachment to this particular 1st year DC. There are plenty of others, which been mentioned in the thread as well (Fresno, N ILL, Temple, etc).

SDSU has been great on defense for a singular reason: Rocky Long.

He was the head coach at New Mexico for 11 seasons (1998-2008) ... only had one 8 win season and one 9 win season there. Tough place to win, I guess. Then Brady Hoke went to SDSU in 2009 and hired Rocky as his DC, which he was for 2009-2010. Hoke quickly got SDSU to 9 wins in 2010, and then skipped town to Michigan. But he couldn't convince Rocky to come with him to Ann Arbor. And we know what happened after that.

Meanwhile Rocky stayed to become the HC at SDSU ... but he also kept the DC duties for himself. This is his 8th season at SDSU, and they've won 8 or more games every year except one 7 win season. He's had two 11 win seasons, a 10 win, and a 9 win. They're 7-2 this year, facing stiff competition from Fresno since Tedford arrived.

Only in 2017 did Rocky finally give up DC duties. Danny Gonzales had it for one year in 2017, and was immediately scooped up by Arizona St. Now Zach Arnett is the DC for the first time in his career. *IF* he gets scooped up by a P5, my bet is that he would prefer to stay in the far west, so a PAC program or maybe a Big 12 like Texas Tech or something along those lines. Wild guess.

All well and good .... but none of these people have anything to do with Fleck. I doubt Fleck has ever met any of them.

I'm not at all saying it's a bad thing to reach out of your known circle/coaching tree. Can be a good thing actually. I just don't get the attachment to this particular 1st year DC. There are plenty of others, which been mentioned in the thread as well (Fresno, N ILL, Temple, etc).

Arnett has been there since Long has been HC, getting promoted along the way, so I think he's probably learned a thing or two from a person who knows how to establish and sustain a top performing defense.

Arnett has been there since Long has been HC, getting promoted along the way, so I think he's probably learned a thing or two from a person who knows how to establish and sustain a top performing defense.

I think Arnett also played for Long -- Linebacker at New Mexico.

Don't want to look through 12 pages of discussion, so I'll ask what I'm positive someone has already asked: What is Jay Sawvel doing? I'd be behind that hire 100%.

While he'd be in charge of the entire defense, I could see him giving the defensive back squad similar sort of "special" attention that Fleck gives the WR unit. With killer WR and DB squads, we'd be very competitive.

Correct. And he played for Long too, at New Mexico. Clearly, he has learned much (everything, probably) from Rocky.

That still doesn't seem to justify the attachment to him here, as opposed to any other good DC candidates in the G5.

Don't want to look through 12 pages of discussion, so I'll ask what I'm positive someone has already asked: What is Jay Sawvel doing? I'd be behind that hire 100%.

While he'd be in charge of the entire defense, I could see him giving the defensive back squad similar sort of "special" attention that Fleck gives the WR unit. With killer WR and DB squads, we'd be very competitive.

Been discussed, sort of. There's next to zero chance he'd get hired here. Even if PJ wanted him (which I doubt - they don't seem like they'd get along), I doubt Coyle would let any of the old staff back.

David Gibbs is getting $800K/year at Texas Tech - what if the U doubled that? Love to see him back in maroon and gold! Just looking and based on Texas Tech's record the last few years, got to wonder if he would want to get out before Klingsbury gets canned...

David Gibbs is getting $800K/year at Texas Tech - what if the U doubled that? Love to see him back in maroon and gold! Just looking and based on Texas Tech's record the last few years, got to wonder if he would want to get out before Klingsbury gets canned...

Don't know if we'd need to double it, but how does $800,000 compare to our current assistant salaries?

I could live off that.

So could a computer algorithm, training to pick defensive calls based off statistical probabilities of which play the offense was going to run. Guessing roughly the same results.

Oooh I like that idea....

nice.gif

Top Bottom