Who does PJ hire as DC?

David Gibbs is getting $800K/year at Texas Tech - what if the U doubled that? Love to see him back in maroon and gold! Just looking and based on Texas Tech's record the last few years, got to wonder if he would want to get out before Klingsbury gets canned...

Doesn't look like TTech's defense is performing very well...ranked 88 in scoring defense, 110 in total defense, 124 in passing yards allowed.

Ya,Hazelton is getting it done at Wyoming. They have won same number of games as the Gophers. Seth Wallace would be a much better candidate. No question.

Stupid. Number of wins means nothing. Just stop.

If Meyer sticks with Schiano as his DC, I'd try and poach Alex Grinch from Ohio St. He did a great job at Washington St.

I'm guessing he only went to OSU to be the DC-in-waiting, but if that position is not available to him, or if things fall apart there in the offseason, maybe he could be persuaded to grab an oar.

I'm not on board with this. His D at OSU has gotten worse ....we have lived that dream lately. No thanks.

Same for those of your u wanting David Gibbs.

Just throwing a name out, but what about Andre Patterson(Vikings D line coach)? Could be an interesting candidate, has done a very good job with the Vikings D line and developing talent imo. He is older though and might not want to leave his current job.

What type of a Defensive Coordinator does everyone here like to see hired?

A much older seasoned veteran with lots of experience, or a young up and rising maverick coach? Think about who will help stabilize the program.

Remember, you can get burned with a wrong hire.

You have to get someone that blends in with the staff or it's not going to work, so make sure someone is going to RTB. After that, I will take either young or old because both have advantages and disadvantages. Finally I want someone regardless of age that runs an aggressive, attacking D. Create confusion, chaos, and unpredictability.

House makes a case for Appalachian State's Bryan Brown.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You go down to SEC country and talk to BAMA and Georgia about who they would like to see disappear from the LSU defensive staff.

That school has a pedigree for tough defenses year after year.

You go down to SEC country and talk to BAMA and Georgia about who they would like to see disappear from the LSU defensive staff.

That school has a pedigree for tough defenses year after year.

Seems unlikely LS's DC would come here, and picking up some good secondary coach doesn't mean they're a good DC.

in the coaching fraternity, a lot of it is about relationships. Coaches hire other coaches they know, or have worked with before, or worked with a buddy of theirs and comes with a glowing recommendation. It's rare to hire someone who is a 'stranger.' There's almost always some type of connection.

So, I maintain that - if the new DC comes from outside the program - it will be someone who has a connection with Fleck. It may not be a direct connection, but it will be some type of a connection.

I agree with this. If you look at the coaching staff, almost every assistant was at Rutgers or Western Michigan and in some cases both.

Seems unlikely LS's DC would come here, and picking up some good secondary coach doesn't mean they're a good DC.

:confused::confused:

We could double our coordiantor salary and still be about a half million short of what Aranda makes. He made 1.8 as LSU DC....last year.

House makes a case for Appalachian State's Bryan Brown.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bryan Brown seems like a good candidate. No idea if his system would work here or not (no idea what his system actually is, frankly).

The one thing about the article was the suggestion that Sherels would potentially come back. I still just don't see that happening. I don't see how Coyle would allow a coach who stood next to the players during the boycott back in the building at this point. He was retained as long as he was to keep the recruits, nothing more.

If we win out and shut down NW and Wisky... ? Was the writing on the wall for Smith when Rossi was brought in?

I was just looking at Joseph Rossi's bio and stats. Kind of a mixed bag of not a lot of improvement or regression at both Maine and Rutgers. Does anyone think he'll get promoted full time if the D looks good the last two games?

I was just looking at Joseph Rossi's bio and stats. Kind of a mixed bag of not a lot of improvement or regression at both Maine and Rutgers. Does anyone think he'll get promoted full time if the D looks good the last two games?

Oh boy, have I got a thread for you...

The Gophers played better under Jeff Horton pretty quickly.... he won every trophy game he coached in (penn st doesn't count)....

Didn't get the job.

Granted HC is different but I'm not sure better from where they were is necessarily a good measurement.

If we win the last two, the players all want him as DC, and he says he'll only make small tweaks for next year...then maybe. I think PJ would be hesitant though if that weren't the case. He should look at Rossi's past DC stats and say "Why weren't X, Y, and Z great when you were in charge?" if he says "I didn't have the players" that would be a red flag to me given Smith's record.

I think PJ should get the entire Defensive staff in a room, pull out the candidates he's identified (hopefully some they can poach from a top 25 S&P defense) and ask who they think would best fit, then go hard after the top 2-3 candidates.

Season simply has to play out before we can make more comments about Rossi in my opinion.

The Gophers played better under Jeff Horton pretty quickly.... he won every trophy game he coached in (penn st doesn't count)....

Didn't get the job.

Granted HC is different but I'm not sure better from where they were is necessarily a good measurement.

I'd take his counterpart at SDSU.

Rossi will have four games including a bowl. I guess if they win out with similar defensive performances like Saturday he has to get a longer look. I just have a feeling Fleck goes outside.

Wierd but Rossi’s bio claims Buddy Ryan brought the 46 defense to the NFL after observing Rossi’s elementary school squad. Seems legit.

I can’t find it, but I really like Daniel House’s suggestion of Marcus Freeman at Cincinnati for DC. Think House really found a good fit in Freeman, if Rossi doesn’t work out. If Rossi has 3 awesome games, tough not to stick with him. If Fleck hires someone, my #1 right now is Freeman. Can recruit! Can coach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t find it, but I really like Daniel House’s suggestion of Marcus Freeman at Cincinnati for DC. Think House really found a good fit in Freeman, if Rossi doesn’t work out. If Rossi has 3 awesome games, tough not to stick with him. If Fleck hires someone, my #1 right now is Freeman. Can recruit! Can coach!

Maybe hire Fickell too?

Top Bottom