Who does PJ hire as DC?

Glenn Spencer - DC at Charlotte

Pros:
Georgia / North Carolina recruiting ties
Experience facing style of Offenses that give us fits (Big XII)
He’s at Charlotte (non P5)
Battled adversity through loss of wife (Rows)
Described as person of integrity and high energy
Broyles Award Candidate In 2013

Cons:
Ranking of his Defense when he left Okie State

Many interesting candidates out there and I suspect, as many have, that PJ will have some tie to his next hire or he will need to fit “RTB Culture”. Just throwing another name out there.

Appreciate others suggestions- fun to read what some of these guys have accomplished.

I’d like to know more about Utah State DC as well if anyone has info.

If his Nebraska payouts are up I’d go for Bo Pelini.

This would make it so much better to hire him. If they were literally paying him to kick their butts. Plus, the broken chair would totally make a comeback.

This would make it so much better to hire him. If they were literally paying him to kick their butts. Plus, the broken chair would totally make a comeback.

I dunno. Bo had that whole football player they brought in who had previously been convicted of rape....

I dunno. Bo had that whole football player they brought in who had previously been convicted of rape....

What are you some liberal if you are accused you are guilty? Go back and reread the story. Never the less, Bo and PJ, oil and water. Never work, regardless the money.

If Meyer sticks with Schiano as his DC, I'd try and poach Alex Grinch from Ohio St. He did a great job at Washington St.

I'm guessing he only went to OSU to be the DC-in-waiting, but if that position is not available to him, or if things fall apart there in the offseason, maybe he could be persuaded to grab an oar.

Last edited:

There's some chatter about Marcus Freeman, DC at Cincy. Former OSU linebacker, previously co-DC at Purdue.

Bo is intriguing...has had a couple middling years at YSU and Fleck could at least double the HC salary he is getting now.

Bo would murder PJ within a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does that matter?

It doesn’t, other than he’s “slumming it” at an FCS program while collecting millions per year and biding his time for another chance at a higher level. I’m not sure what his stock is as a head coach candidate at FBS programs after his messy departure from Nebraska. Maybe a stint as a coordinator could be a redemption tour for a couple years.

OTOH, I was being sort of facetious because while I’d personally love to have him and think he’d raise the performance of the defense it’s hard to imagine a prominent coach as different from PJ, except for maybe Nick Holt.

That and I remember beating Bo's Neb team and all game their linebackers had no clue where to be or go....

That’s true, we helped to get him fired IIRC.

That said, he took the 81st ranked defense in 2007 and turned it into 1st ranked in 2009. Ndamukong might have played a small part in those defenses. Then several years of highly rated defenses before slipping to average in 2013. After he was fired the bottom dropped out under Mr. Rogers. So, I’d say he gets a mulligan for a relatively bad year in 2013.

He’s surly with the media, with fans. Polarizing for sure.

I will say that beyond the unlikable and player rape thing......... Bo would likely boost attendance among cat lovers.

534be4125df8d.image.jpg

That’s true, we helped to get him fired IIRC.

That said, he took the 81st ranked defense in 2007 and turned it into 1st ranked in 2009. Ndamukong might have played a small part in those defenses. Then several years of highly rated defenses before slipping to average in 2013. After he was fired the bottom dropped out under Mr. Rogers. So, I’d say he gets a mulligan for a relatively bad year in 2013.

He’s surly with the media, with fans. Polarizing for sure.

Gophs got last TWO NEbby HCs fired. It would be so very entertaining to have Bo as DC.

Not that I'm aware of, but he did bring a player onto the team who had a rape conviction. Apparently Bo and Jim Tressel were ok with it, other folks less so.

For those not familiar in 2012 several underage guys took photos and video of them digitally penetrating an underage drunk and unconscious girl and posted them online. As a juvenile was sentenced to a minimum of one year. Ugly, ugly incident. Pelini defended playing him in 2017 by saying everyone deserves a second chance, long list of requirements, etc.

I’m not sure in this day and age some people will ever agree on second chances for sexual assault unless perhaps a certain amount of prison time or time in general has passed. I don’t know the particulars of it but obviously the optics are very bad. Depends how one feels about redemption I suppose. He deserved more prison time IMO but the fact they were inebriated minors perhaps reduced the sentence and that’s still a societal issue: should minors be considered adults for crimes.

I do like Keith Patteson. He ran the "Oddstack" at Tulsa under Todd Graham. The oddstack is a 3-3-5 or 3-5-3. They ran it exclusively at Tulsa, but it needs to be a part of the package!!!!!

I do like Keith Patteson. He ran the "Oddstack" at Tulsa under Todd Graham. The oddstack is a 3-3-5 or 3-5-3. They ran it exclusively at Tulsa, but it needs to be a part of the package!!!!!
How about the Sawvel 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

He got ran out of Arizona state for same reason Smith got fired here.

When does the new DC get named -- I'm guessing it won't happen until after the regular season is over.

Top Bottom