Why will this defense be any different next year?

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Lose 1 guy and your defense is this bad? Lose 1 O lineman and your line is this bad? Who’s coming in to help on defense??? Who’s going to help the D line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lose 1 guy and your defense is this bad? Lose 1 O lineman and your line is this bad? Who’s coming in to help on defense??? Who’s going to help the D line?
Jason Bargy, Keonte Schad, MJ Anderson, Chris Daniels.

Jason Bargy, Keonte Schad, MJ Anderson, Chris Daniels.

Who’s going to play in the secondary? This defense will not be good next year either. Possibly 2020?

I'd suggest you become an Alabama fan then.

Expect the worst.

I noticed you couldn’t answer my question. It’s a serious question. I’m a fan of the Fleck hire, but it’s a serious question. What will be different personnel wise? It looks like this could take another year. Giving up over 40 points a game in conference in year 2, on average.

I noticed you couldn’t answer my question. It’s a serious question. I’m a fan of the Fleck hire, but it’s a serious question. What will be different personnel wise? It looks like this could take another year. Giving up over 40 points a game in conference in year 2, on average.

When healthy, Winfield and Howden will be safeties.
T-Smith at CB. Other CB will be either C.Smith, Durr, Williamson, Estes, Sapp III, Justus Harris, maybe Tyler Nubin.

If our secondary has to try and tackle as much as it is this year, it might not be much better. But I have a hard time believing it will be worse.

Hopefully new defensive staff. Contribution from players RS, incoming freshman, and growth

Can't get worse

If it's bad enough, maybe PJ grabs an additional JUCO safety to provide depth, but maybe not.

I think next year the Gophs will improve, but I think it'll be 2020 or 2021. By then, I can imagine 10-2 or 11-1 will be the expectations.

They should be better next year because they will have had a chance to become elite athletically, academically, socially, and spiritually, more of them will have had a chance to be newton of the week, and they will have more how.

The fix for the defense will take longer than a year, even with a new DC. The offense will need to make huge strides.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt the sun will rise tomorrow. Oh, and don't get me started on the......

So does anyone else think we need to use that 4 games rule and get some new blood on D. I for one would love to see Rush out there making some plays at LB and how about Sapp at safety? What about the D-lineman from last year Ulmor? Let's get some of the young guys out there. Season is lost anyway. Time to build up some of the young guys.

It's really as simple as this: we can't tackle.

They SUCK, at tackling. I mean, they SUCK.

Take, I believe it was the 2nd long TD play .... the cornerback T Smith, who everyone here would say is probably easily our best dback, going early to the NFL, etc etc .... I mean you wanna talk about a horses___t attempt at a tackle. Absolute manure.

Basically today, it got to the point of ... as soon as we horribly missed the first tackle attempt ... I was yelling at the TV "touchdown". That's what it was like today!

So does anyone else think we need to use that 4 games rule and get some new blood on D. I for one would love to see Rush out there making some plays at LB and how about Sapp at safety? What about the D-lineman from last year Ulmor? Let's get some of the young guys out there. Season is lost anyway. Time to build up some of the young guys.

Teague was out there. Not a ton, but was getting some reps at DL.

I honestly say this: bench anyone and everyone. If they aren't going to be contributing to the future of this team ... bench them. I don't care who it is. This seaon is done.

On the radio, DT said they will probably be practicing tackling this week in practice.

Grimm replied that it wasn't broken tackles but rather they aren't even getting a hand on Illinois as they run by.

:-(

On the radio, DT said they will probably be practicing tackling this week in practice.

Grimm replied that it wasn't broken tackles but rather they aren't even getting a hand on Illinois as they run by.

:-(

Let's hope the practices involve being in the right place to make tackles.

Rush and Sapp both have played in more than 4 games already, according to the redshirt tracker.

What this defense is really missing right now is great play from the LB position which is one of our most experienced areas. Barber and Cashman were nowhere to be seen today.

D-Line has to get better at some point but that has been a tough spot for this defense for a long time. At some point we will hopefully get to the point where the D-Line can generate consistent pressure on the QB.

As for the future it is tough to say, but I would take a good long look at any of the redshirt guys over the remainder of the season to see if any of them can play and to start getting them some experience. Nothing to lose at this point as it really can't get any worse then what we saw out there today.

Isn't part of the reason we are playing the defensive scheme's were are is due to lack of defensive linemen?

What this defense is really missing right now is great play from the LB position which is one of our most experienced areas. Barber and Cashman were nowhere to be seen today.

D-Line has to get better at some point but that has been a tough spot for this defense for a long time. At some point we will hopefully get to the point where the D-Line can generate consistent pressure on the QB.

As for the future it is tough to say, but I would take a good long look at any of the redshirt guys over the remainder of the season to see if any of them can play and to start getting them some experience. Nothing to lose at this point as it really can't get any worse then what we saw out there today.

Yes .... and guess who coaches the LB position group?????? Take one, wild guess, before looking it up, if you don't know off the top of your head.

And Cashman was the Defensive MVP of the bowl game two seasons ago. Don't recall seeing him doing much of anything on the field today ... except run behind the Illinois ball carrier on the way to scoring a TD.

I have a serious heartburn now. My wife thinks that I am having a heart attack. Beer right now is like pouring acid on a wound.

Won't be better until they have bigger DE's who can set the edge, faster secondary players and more athletic LB's. I believe all are in the workings, but next year is a tough ask. We're in for another few years of this.

You have to remember this is only year one of a 4 or 5 year re-building process that the Fleckster is taking Gopher Nation to.

It's really as simple as this: we can't tackle.

They SUCK, at tackling. I mean, they SUCK.

Take, I believe it was the 2nd long TD play .... the cornerback T Smith, who everyone here would say is probably easily our best dback, going early to the NFL, etc etc .... I mean you wanna talk about a horses___t attempt at a tackle. Absolute manure.

Basically today, it got to the point of ... as soon as we horribly missed the first tackle attempt ... I was yelling at the TV "touchdown". That's what it was like today!

I wish our problem was about tackling.

We have the strangest defense. We aren't aggressive yet we're always one, just one, broken tackle away from a HUGE gain. Big 10 RBs are going to break some tackles, we have way bigger problems than in ability to tackle.

Top Bottom