How about this stat for Brohm

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Jeff Brohm’s teams have only lost twice in November in his college coaching career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Brohm is a good coach.
He would be a better coach if he could’ve beaten Eastern Michigan

Jeff Brohm is a good coach.
He would be a better coach if he could’ve beaten Eastern Michigan

Yep, that Eastern Michigan loss is going to define his career for sure. Year 2, early season loss to EMU. Just incredibly bad. I don't know how the guy has a job. They haven't played well since and they just don't seem to be getting better as the season goes on. It's not like they beat a top 10 team a couple of weeks ago and are beating 16th ranked Iowa.

Yep, that Eastern Michigan loss is going to define his career for sure. Year 2, early season loss to EMU. Just incredibly bad. I don't know how the guy has a job. They haven't played well since and they just don't seem to be getting better as the season goes on. It's not like they beat a top 10 team a couple of weeks ago and are beating 16th ranked Iowa.

Actually what will define his career is what he does at his next stop. He is going to get some offers and he already has shown flirtations with places like TN.

I could see him being the next coach at Louisville, USC, etc

is fleck at risk of leaving?

Not right now.
If he has success here I’d think bigger names might want him. Then it depends on what he wants. Right now he hasn’t done anything to warrant attention from a better job

If I recall the Purdue/Eastern Michigan game was played in a down pour. Rain like that is the great equalizer for 2 teams like that.

Not right now.
If he has success here I’d think bigger names might want him. Then it depends on what he wants. Right now he hasn’t done anything to warrant attention from a better job

Accurate assessment.

Possibly? I bet Purdue fans regret the NW loss more....or even Missouri. EMU and Missouri were last second FG walk off L's at home. They got one back today vs. Iowa.

Jeff Brohm’s teams have only lost twice in November in his college coaching career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This tended to be true of Warmath, too - and Woody Hayes, both of whom would some years drop early season games they should have won.

Not right now.

I think Fleck's process of building a program will keep the big boys away from luring him. They will want results faster than what we are seeing from him.

Not right now.

This is sarcasm, right?

Not right now.

Be honest, no big time program will ever touch Fleck now unless he wins a Big 10 championship. With his results thus far at Minnesota, no team is going to see him as a quick fix master and big time programs don't have patience like us middling/bottom feeders have. At best, we will be back to 7-8 wins/season in a few years - that kind of track record and the depths we have sunken to in year 2 will not warrant any interest in Fleck. Fleck needed success by this season to continue his rise in the coaching ranks - unfortunately, the Peter Principle took effect while still at a middling/bottom feeder.

I find it interesting that people like to compare Brohm to Fleck, but not to past Gopher coaches. He has two top 20 victories this year while Brewster/Kill/Claeys/Fleck have combined for a grand total of ZERO in the last 12 years. Those two top 20 victories for Brohm equal the amount that Mason/Brewster/Kill/Claeys/Fleck have combined for since the year 2000.

I find it interesting that people like to compare Brohm to Fleck, but not to past Gopher coaches. He has two top 20 victories this year while Brewster/Kill/Claeys/Fleck have combined for a grand total of ZERO in the last 12 years. Those two top 20 victories for Brohm equal the amount that Mason/Brewster/Kill/Claeys/Fleck have combined for since the year 2000.

The number of truly elite coaches is small. College athletics head coaching is a revolving door. I’m very much in the camp of cutting losses after a reasonable amount of time. Try to find a diamond like Brohm.

The number of truly elite coaches is small. College athletics head coaching is a revolving door. I’m very much in the camp of cutting losses after a reasonable amount of time. Try to find a diamond like Brohm.

The question becomes - how long is a reasonable amount of time? Does that time change when you fail to see any glimmer of change and actually see signs of regression?

The question becomes - how long is a reasonable amount of time? Does that time change when you fail to see any glimmer of change and actually see signs of regression?

Yes.

To be clear and fair, I really want PJ to succeed but it seems clear his staff is not top tier. I really, really hope he scores on his next hire or it’s curtains. He can’t recruit his way all the way out of this of this. Even if he can get into that top 25-30 range which seems like a stretch with the way things are going on the field there is likely a ceiling in there somewhere in the average level because the defense is so fundamentally unsound and the team doesn’t have that hard edge.

And, I don’t necessarily think his new age philosophies are better than eg Brohm’s and Nick Holt’s very old school testosterone culture. I like that Jeff Brohm drives a 14 year old Japanese family sedan. I like hard nosed, overachieving scrappy defense and innovative offense. So I’m not sure I’ll ever “love” PJ but if he can find a way to win I’ll certainly hop in the boat and hold my nose.

Last edited:

Top Bottom