DB Austin Winfield commits to the Gophers

I know it's a different position, but I remember people saying that Steven Richardson was too short to play DT in the B1G. How'd that work out?

I know it's a different position, but I remember people saying that Steven Richardson was too short to play DT in the B1G. How'd that work out?

Well the coach that recruited him got fired in part for bad recruiting?

Too soon?

Only 1/4 of the fan posts have been negative. Things are getting better on GH!!!

Well the coach that recruited him got fired in part for bad recruiting?

Too soon?

Doubt he was fired for recruiting Richardson. Richardson balled out for four years. We'd be blessed to get another version.

Well like I said, if anyone were to prove me wrong it would be a Winfield. Huge fan of Antoine Sr and Jr.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

If this kid is really fast and anywhere near as good a tackler as his big brother, I’d take him at 5 feet tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly ! Pound for pound SR. was and JR. is a fundamentally sound, tough tackler. Does not guarantee Austin will be but definitely worth a shot.

Sometimes you've gotta go for it....He's worth a shot....

He could probably play RB at that height, but he won’t be a starter on defense.
As a WO, being a solid contributor on special teams and a leader/culture guy would be a good outcome from my perspective.

Playing safety at 5-5, 155 is a little different than playing DT at 5-11, 290.

Not saying Winfield won't make an impact. Not saying he will make an impact either.

If this kid is really fast and anywhere near as good a tackler as his big brother, I’d take him at 5 feet tall.

This x 100000000000000000000000000000.

How anybody can be questioning taking another winfield kid is pretty unbelievable. His brother is not only one of the best defensive players we have had in a long time, he's also one of the most dynamic athletes on the team and in the B1G when healthy. Anybody who questions this is a complete moron.

This x 100000000000000000000000000000.

How anybody can be questioning taking another winfield kid is pretty unbelievable. His brother is not only one of the best defensive players we have had in a long time, he's also one of the most dynamic athletes on the team and in the B1G when healthy. Anybody who questions this is a complete moron.

Where in this thread did someone say he shouldn't be a Golden Gopher football player?

At 5-10 205

Did you grow any after junior year of high school? I did. Almost every gopher player put on height and weight after they committed as juniors. Who knows where he'll end up.

Plus he's just a walk on, we aren't using a scholly on him.

All he needs is a 5" growth spurt.

Elite size for a 4th grader

I don't see how you can play defensive back in the Big Ten at 5'5.

Where in this thread did someone say he shouldn't be a Golden Gopher football player?

No one flat out said he shouldn't be a golden gopher. But plenty of people mocking and writing him off, these are some of the first posts.

No one flat out said he shouldn't be a golden gopher. But plenty of people mocking and writing him off, these are some of the first posts.

So people expressing an opinion about his role with the team based on his size is writing him off. Got it.

Maybe he can prove some of us wrong and be a productive contributor at DB. Maybe he will defy the odds and can shut down players up to a foot taller than he is. The odds are, unless he can grow a few inches in the next year or so, he likely will only see action on ST. I can see him doing very well in that role. Not exactly writing him off.

I haven’t read a single negative post in this thread. In fact just the opposite. Obviously his chances of being an impact player/starter go up if he has a late growth spurt. Big brother was literally substantially physically larger and PJ and other coaches seem to agree with the “negative” folks considering the scholarship picture. Personally I absolutely love how he/the family plays and am rooting for him to succeed. I won’t count him out.

One of the best gopher dbs to ever play was undersized and under recruited. That was Tyrone Carter. Winfield Sr was undersized and was a star at Ohio State.

Winfield Jr I thought was smaller than 5'10" but I maybe they are measure him with cleats on...

Anyway, he us a walk on now, so it is a bonus at the very least, and he could develop into a lot more.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I haven’t read a single negative post in this thread. In fact just the opposite. Obviously his chances of being an impact player/starter go up if he has a late growth spurt. Big brother was literally substantially physically larger and PJ and other coaches seem to agree with the “negative” folks considering the scholarship picture. Personally I absolutely love how he/the family plays and am rooting for him to succeed. I won’t count him out.

Your definition of negativity depends you your personal opinion of the topic. Post #47 list a few of the the “non-complimentary” posts. If you don’t consider being compared physically to a fourth grader as negative, then I see your point.

Winfield is a player, just like his brother and father. He will do fine and I am glad that he is a Gopher.

One of the best gopher dbs to ever play was undersized and under recruited. That was Tyrone Carter. Winfield Sr was undersized and was a star at Ohio State.

Winfield Jr I thought was smaller than 5'10" but I maybe they are measure him with cleats on...

Anyway, he us a walk on now, so it is a bonus at the very least, and he could develop into a lot more.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jr. Isn't 5'10. His dad is 5'8 and every photo I've seen of them together, father and son look pretty much the same height.

13 posts so far have been negative at worst and demeaning at best. 1/4 of the posts. To doubt a player's abilities until he hits the field is not an "opinion", its downright abusive behavior.

Thank god these "experts" have no connection to or influence on the football program.

One play in one season can change a program. I'll take any Winfield any day. Two plays like his diminutive brother made this season are enough to seal the deal for me.

addition: I met Walter Payton in 1992 at the Super Bowl Party. He was listed at 5-10", 200 lbs. I was 6-0 about 170 at the time. I towered over him and we looked about the same weight. He might have been 5-6". BTW, great, great guy.

Last edited:

13 posts so far have been negative at worst and demeaning at best. 1/4 of the posts. To doubt a player's abilities until he hits the field is not an "opinion", its downright abusive behavior.

Thank god these "experts" have no connection to or influence on the football program.

One play in one season can change a program. I'll take any Winfield any day. Two plays like his diminutive brother made this season are enough to seal the deal for me.

addition: I met Walter Payton in 1992 at the Super Bowl Party. He was listed at 5-10", 200 lbs. I was 6-0 about 170 at the time. I towered over him and we looked about the same weight. He might have been 5-6". BTW, great, great guy.

You guys realize he’s offered as a walk on? Is “expert” PJ demeaning Austin as well? Get a grip. From all the accounts I’ve seen Antoine Jr is substantially larger and perhaps faster than little bro. It doesn’t mean he can’t play in the FBS but teams aren’t lining up to offer scholarships either.

highwayTroll just taking a position for no other reason than to try to get a rise out of people. Please don't respond to him, unless his post contains at least a shred of an actual logical argument.

Jr. Isn't 5'10. His dad is 5'8 and every photo I've seen of them together, father and son look pretty much the same height.

That's fine ... his dad's combine numbers were 5-8 176 (according to Wikipedia). But our official roster lists AWj at 5-10 205. So up to you if you want to say they're fibbing, etc.

Did you grow any after junior year of high school? I did. Almost every gopher player put on height and weight after they committed as juniors.

I did not grow any taller, think I was done after Soph year.

Every Gopher player puts on weight. I highly doubt every one got taller.

Top Bottom