I have not seen much on this -

Rog

Reaction score
2019 recruiting on this forum -

I was able to mention to Fleck that the last recruiting class was Very good (as seen on the field) and he answered wait until you see the next one!

Have not heard much else. Info anyone?

cue 10+ pages of arguments over class rankings, star ratings, dots, and all the usual suspects.

I know I'm way outside the herd on this one, but I judge football players on how they play. If the Gophers sign a recruit, and he plays well, then he was a good recruit. If they sign a recruit, and he doesn't play well, then he wasn't a good recruit. (yes, coaching has something to do with this.....)

But, I refuse to get bent out of shape because somebody somewhere assigned player A a better score, more stars, or more dots, than player B.

Fleck's recruiting class will ultimately be judged on how well they play. Not on what grade or rating they have been assigned as of today, or even what grade or rating they are assigned when the class is complete. At least in my opinion. I could be wrong. I could be crazy. I could be hearing voices telling me to run down the street naked wearing a Goldy Gopher mask.

2019 recruiting on this forum -

I was able to mention to Fleck that the last recruiting class was Very good (as seen on the field) and he answered wait until you see the next one!

Have not heard much else. Info anyone?

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

It's heavier along the defensive line which is an area of need.
The two QB's are both good and one could challenge ZA or TM for the starting job by 2020.

A few CB's and LB's.
Who knows until they play however.

Overall rankings it's not great. (mid 30's) but way higher than anything we've had in the last 6-8 years (other than Fleck's 2018 class of course).

Fleck gets good players that fit his system. I’m excited to see more recruiting classes of his on the field

cue 10+ pages of arguments over class rankings, star ratings, dots, and all the usual suspects.

I know I'm way outside the herd on this one, but I judge football players on how they play. If the Gophers sign a recruit, and he plays well, then he was a good recruit. If they sign a recruit, and he doesn't play well, then he wasn't a good recruit. (yes, coaching has something to do with this.....)

But, I refuse to get bent out of shape because somebody somewhere assigned player A a better score, more stars, or more dots, than player B.

Fleck's recruiting class will ultimately be judged on how well they play. Not on what grade or rating they have been assigned as of today, or even what grade or rating they are assigned when the class is complete. At least in my opinion. I could be wrong. I could be crazy. I could be hearing voices telling me to run down the street naked wearing a Goldy Gopher mask.

Agree completely.
Doesn't matter until they hit the field and take ratings for what they are worth.
But so far the class is ranked in the 30's and could end up in the 40's.

Biggest areas of need (DL and secondary) seem to be getting addressed with two additional QB.

Fleck gets good players that fit his system. I’m excited to see more recruiting classes of his on the field

So far from his 2017 and 2018 classes a few guys seem to be good fits.
Hard to judge any busts at this stage however until they leave the program. Fleck's had two of those. Handy Holly and another safety from 2017.

Correct, unless you are like Alabama or Ohio State or the most elite programs who are loaded with four and five star recruits those rankings are somewhat speculative. Even being a five star recruit is no guarantee of great success. A study done of five star football recruits from 2002 through 2010 found that only about 44% of them were drafted.

Iowa's 247 Big Ten Conference recruiting rankings from 2014-2018 were 12, 12, 9, 8, and 8. Iowa's regular season records over that time were 7-5, 12-0, 8-4, 7-5, and 6-2 so far this year. Maryland's in-conference recruiting rankings have been significantly higher but they haven't translated into as many wins.

Last edited:

Hard to judge any busts at this stage however until they leave the program. Fleck's had two of those. Handy Holly and another safety from 2017.

Just remember that Handy-Holly was originally a Claeys recruit and Beck was a late decommit from Texas Tech. I wasn't too surprised when they didn't stay. I would be more concerned if we lost significant recruits from the 2018 or2019 classes.

Average star rating is about 12th in the big ten, which could be fine for the reasons SON explained. PJ should maybe stop bragging about the rankings though.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Correct, unless you are like Alabama or Ohio State or the most elite programs who are loaded with four and five star recruits those rankings are somewhat speculative. Even being a five star recruit is no guarantee of great success. A study done of five star football recruits from 2002 through 2010 found that only about 44% of them were drafted.

Iowa's 247 Big Ten Conference recruiting rankings from 2014-2018 were 12, 12, 9, 8, and 8. Iowa's regular season records over that time were 7-5, 12-0, 8-4, 7-5, and 6-2 so far this year. Maryland's in-conference recruiting rankings have been significantly higher but they haven't translated into as many wins.

Which would still be the highest percentage of any star group. It's all about giving yourself the best chance to win, and having more higher ranked recruits gives you a better chance to produce NFL players and translate that to wins.

Having more talent than the other team automatically gives you a ~75% to win. It's just a simple statistic that has been proven by research. People try to make more of it than what it is. It doesn't mean you are guaranteed to win, or that a player is guaranteed to be good. It just provides a better chance of that happening.

Which would still be the highest percentage of any star group. It's all about giving yourself the best chance to win, and having more higher ranked recruits gives you a better chance to produce NFL players and translate that to wins.

Having more talent than the other team automatically gives you a ~75% to win. It's just a simple statistic that has been proven by research. People try to make more of it than what it is. It doesn't mean you are guaranteed to win, or that a player is guaranteed to be good. It just provides a better chance of that happening.
Which would be nice if PJ could get our star ranking higher compared to big ten teams. The bump hasn't been as big as hoped/promised. Maybe 2020? 2021?

Which would be nice if PJ could get our star ranking higher compared to big ten teams. The bump hasn't been as big as hoped/promised. Maybe 2020? 2021?

I'll reserve my judgment until signing day. We didn't have one 4* commit last year until December, and ended up with 3 thanks to Dunlap and Faalele committing, and Bateman getting a ratings increase. I think there are several in this class that could get a ratings bump before signing day.

Not very good to date.
Hmm, they are on pace to have their best recruiting class in the past decade.

Year Rank
2019 32
2018 38
2017 59
2016 46
2015 63
2014 57
2013 67
2012 59
2011 57
2010 52

I'll reserve my judgment until signing day. We didn't have one 4* commit last year until December, and ended up with 3 thanks to Dunlap and Faalele committing, and Bateman getting a ratings increase. I think there are several in this class that could get a ratings bump before signing day.
The class is almost full though, right?

The class is almost full though, right?

It is, but it was at this point last year too. Fleck has said that he saves a spot or two for special situations like Faalele and Dunlap.

Year Rank
2019 32
2018 38
2017 59
2016 46
2015 63
2014 57
2013 67
2012 59
2011 57
2010 52
Hard to compare mid season to final rankings. I think we dropped last year at the end. Also our class gets a rating bump since we have so many recruits. If you look at average stars we are 12th last I checked which is Kill territory

Year Rank
2019 32
2018 38
2017 59
2016 46
2015 63
2014 57
2013 67
2012 59
2011 57
2010 52

Les isn't trolling, he just has high expectations.

Hard to compare mid season to final rankings. I think we dropped last year at the end. Also our class gets a rating bump since we have so many recruits. If you look at average stars we are 12th last I checked which is Kill territory

I just checked....we've dropped since you last looked. We are 13th and last in the West. We are ahead of Rutgers.

I just checked....we've dropped since you last looked. We are 13th and last in the West. We are ahead of Rutgers.

Being in the 30's an ahead of Rutgers is better than being in the 60's and being ahead of Rutgers.

We've already seen Iowa and Maryland may get high recruiting classes and can't convert it to wins, time for us to try.

We've tried classes in the 50-60's for quite some time and ended up around 60's in overall performance.

Which would still be the highest percentage of any star group.

Yes, but there are very few of them: only about 30 per year on average. So they are a very select group. Nevertheless, less than half of them are drafted.

FWIW, some data analytics guys -- those doing work similar to baseball's sabremetrics crowd -- seem to believe recruit rankings matter. Yes, recruit rankings are subjective, and they're far from infallible. But in the aggregate they seem to provide some indication of future success, they say.

Of course, this could just be bias selection. After all, number-crunchers tend to like numbers. :)

For me, the jury is still out, because I haven't done enough research to arrive at an informed opinion. But I'm inclined to think they're right. Rankings matter. How much is another question.

JTG

Victor Viramontes and Grant Norton were allegedly part of the 2018 class.

Year Rank
2019 32
2018 38
2017 59
2016 46
2015 63
2014 57
2013 67
2012 59
2011 57
2010 52

so... post Brewster. down memory lane we go!

I am of the belief that high ratings matter more for some positions versus others. Like QB is probably more important than a linebacker.

Top Bottom