Minnesota State 5-Minnesota 1

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
YEEEEWWWWW!!!!! again. Ten minutes into the game the Mavericks were literally skating circles around the Gophers. I didn't think Motzko would change things by waving a magic wand. However I didn't expect the players to play as if wands had been stuck up their butts. Dumb penalties continued. Two calls for too many men on the ice. And then we had pure performance art for punctuation-Schierhorn pretending to be a defenseman. MSU...MSU chants and laughter echoed through the empty arena.

YEEEEWWWWW!!!!! again. Ten minutes into the game the Mavericks were literally skating circles around the Gophers. I didn't think Motzko would change things by waving a magic wand. However I didn't expect the players to play as if wands had been stuck up their butts. Dumb penalties continued. Two calls for too many men on the ice. And then we had pure performance art for punctuation-Schierhorn pretending to be a defenseman. MSU...MSU chants and laughter echoed through the empty arena.

Thankfully, I didn't see any of it.

But from what I understand. Motzko really let his team have it in the press conference afterwards, going as far as to label their play as "cutesy'. In a way, I think it's good he's getting a good look at the crap this team and program has put forward for several years now. Gives him the chance to start identifying it and addressing it immediately.

Like you said, its going to be a process. But from what I gather, Motzko's public statements and clear frustration after the game were about the only things worth noting.

It was ugly. I am a devout fan until the end though and will not give up on this team. Our schedule is ridiculous...Minnesota-Duluth, North Dakota, and Minnesota State with a few fluff games between. No matter, I do believe Motzko needs some time to transform the culture and toughen up this team. Change takes time but it is painful on all of us to endure.

On the post game radio show Wally and Frank set up a softball, "coach you were playing nine freshmen tonight" line of questioning. Motzko dismissed out of hand and went on to talk about the terrible play. The Mavericks constantly sent two defenders after the Gopher with the puck and it just smothered Minnesota's offense. When the Gophers sent two defenders after a Maverick puck carrier the Minnesota State player just shrugged it off.

The main consolation last night was that the Mavericks looked like a really good, speedy and skilled team.

For a brief moment last night when Schierhorn raced out of the net trying to prevent the Maverick breakaway I thought he was going check the Maverick. I saw Robb Stauber do that years ago and get called for charging. Alas, the Mav just skated around Schierhorn and scored.

I was at the game. Fairly decent crowd compared recent years. Announced crowd around 8200. Maybe 7000 actually there. It's too bad the Gophers played so poorly. MSU is very good! It looked like boys playing men, especially for the first half of the game.
The Gophers started 2 players who were playing high school hockey last year and it showed. The defense was truly awful! Hopefully this is a practice that Motzko will change. If you look at MSU's roster you'll see a lot of 1994/95 birthdays. Not so on the gophers roster.

Last edited:

On the post game radio show Wally and Frank set up a softball, "coach you were playing nine freshmen tonight" line of questioning. Motzko dismissed out of hand and went on to talk about the terrible play. The Mavericks constantly sent two defenders after the Gopher with the puck and it just smothered Minnesota's offense. When the Gophers sent two defenders after a Maverick puck carrier the Minnesota State player just shrugged it off.

The main consolation last night was that the Mavericks looked like a really good, speedy and skilled team.

For a brief moment last night when Schierhorn raced out of the net trying to prevent the Maverick breakaway I thought he was going check the Maverick. I saw Robb Stauber do that years ago and get called for charging. Alas, the Mav just skated around Schierhorn and scored.

Dismissing the "youth" question is refreshing, Fleck should take notes.

I haven't been able to catch much of the games since the Duluth weekend but sounds like we need to start playing a lot better.

I watched the last half of the 3 period and it was disgusting. There were getting beat on every fight for the puck, weak passes, blind passes, looked very slow, etc... that breakaway was started from a stupid pass that was easily intercepted just inside the blue line. I know it will take time, but I expected a lot more hustle and pride in their play. If that is how they are going to play, then just hand in the jerseys and fold up the team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now the roster if full of pretty boys that play pond style hockey but aren't good enough for that to work. Bob rightfully called them out on it.

He needs some time to overhaul the roster, especially the D unit which is brutal and hasn't had a legit offensive defenseman since Reilly.

I still believe he can make the tournament with this roster.

Top Bottom