***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Fleck was and is a good hire. Kill lost to a terrible Illinois team a few years back. It happens.

As to your first point, we'll see, but the evidence after 21 games is not encouraging. As to your second point, that was a 4 point game, the Gophers had the lead until later in the 4th quarter, and Illinois returned a fumble for the go ahead score. Finally, Illinois was 6-6 that year including 3 wins in the conference.

Seriously, give Claeys some credit... he built a good defense from the ground up without many highly ranked players. He made some of our players into NFL caliber players. This is no chicken and egg deal, players like Boddy-Calhoun, Murray, Cambell, and others who got a sniff of the NFL are there because they were coached to maximize their talents. Claeys, is a very good defensive coach, and as you can see, he carried Jerry Kill. Sadly, we lacked a good offense during their tenure. Claeys isn't a rah rah guy, and so he was a dead man walking, even though he won the last game he ever coached that he had no business winning. Fleck is a rah rah guy, and maybe has some offensive ideas... and the jury is out on him still, but the issue we are having is defensive. Bad technique, bad schemes, etc... Sure maybe we have no so good players, but there is no way you can say we're that much worse than Illinois in terms of talent. I seriously don't mind loses, and expect them for now, but there was no fight at all from the defense.

I believe Boddy-Calhoun and Campbell were JUCOs recruited to fill holes on defense (and there might have been others brought in by Kill) which allowed the defense to be competitive rather quickly in Kill's/Claeys tenure. It's tough to watch Flecks "organic" growth, or lack thereof, right now.

Is Robb Smith telling the D-Line or the LB's to NOT tackle so the young secondary can fail and grow more?

As to your first point, we'll see, but the evidence after 21 games is not encouraging. As to your second point, that was a 4 point game, the Gophers had the lead until later in the 4th quarter, and Illinois returned a fumble for the go ahead score. Finally, Illinois was 6-6 that year including 3 wins in the conference.

Moral victory against Illinois?

Man, so now all the linebackers suck so bad when previously that was the strong point for a lot of posters. How did that come to be?

Our LB's have had a tough time defending the run vs. a spread offense all along. They were exposed starting last year vs. Maryland and many times since then.

I believe Boddy-Calhoun and Campbell were JUCOs recruited to fill holes on defense (and there might have been others brought in by Kill) which allowed the defense to be competitive rather quickly in Kill's/Claeys tenure. It's tough to watch Flecks "organic" growth, or lack thereof, right now.

It’s organic alright. Fertilizer grade.

Is Robb Smith telling the D-Line or the LB's to NOT tackle so the young secondary can fail and grow more?

I wonder if the coaches can't be faulted for anything the players do, then why spend any money on coaches whatsoever. The fanboy bunch on here says that it isn't Fleck's fault because Smith has been bad, it isn't Smith's fault because the players are not tackling or are out of potion. Well gee fanboys, if we miraculous turn tings around and can play competitively against the likes of Illinois, how can they deserve any credit?

Illinois lead 14-0 after 1.

14-3 at half.

Gophers needed a 21 point 3rd quarter to take the lead.

It was a 12 yard fumble return for a TD for Illinois.

Moral victory against Illinois?

No. The point was that was an upset but a close game and that Illinois team wasn't terrible. This game was a blowout and Illinois' only conference win until today was against Rutgers.

Hopefully, to sell season tickets after 1-8 or 2-7 in the BIG, they'll drop the "contribution" tax.

I wonder if the coaches can't be faulted for anything the players do, then why spend any money on coaches whatsoever. The fanboy bunch on here says that it isn't Fleck's fault because Smith has been bad, it isn't Smith's fault because the players are not tackling or are out of potion. Well gee fanboys, if we miraculous turn tings around and can play competitively against the likes of Illinois, how can they deserve any credit?

I honestly don't know if there's a scheme that would allow the current starters (albeit with some key injuries) to be sucessful. Do we have enough competent defensive lineman to move back to a 4-3 to help the defensive backfield? Would doing so just make the Gophies more susceptible to the modern spread and passing schemes? My eyes tell me that the talent on the field is weak and there might not be a scheme that can fix that...other than incorporating a ball control offensive to simply keep the defense off the field (and we wonder why Mason and Kill did that). Athletic explosive tackles and block-shedding are a rarity with these players.

Yep, PJ’s done as well as anyone could expect with the pile of poo he inherited. That last staff really sucked at defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s similar or worse than what Kill inherited from Brew. You can choose to not believe that but then you’d be wrong.

Kill always said the recruited the best to the defense.. looks like fleck is putting his eggs in the offensive basket. Time will tell who will achieve more.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Insulting GWG won’t change his opinion.

You could lose 50 game in a row and it wouldn't change his mind, but a few pounds on those Fleck hips could change things.

You could lose 50 game in a row and it wouldn't change his mind, but a few pounds on those Fleck hips could change things.

Might be into fatties, you never know.

Even id Robb Smith is fired tomorrow, the Gophers Defense is in shambles. They've got to focus on the D in the 2020 Recruiting.

This game is not going to attract a lot of recruits.
We can sell playing time...

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Man, so now all the linebackers suck so bad when previously that was the strong point for a lot of posters. How did that come to be?

Said before the season that was a position of concern for me. Was told we were fine there.

I’ve never once cared or complained about Claeys weight

Meanwhile, a couple years later, you find no problem trashing tc while your beloved pj gets his a$$ handed to him weekly. By LOVIE SMITH and ILLINOIS.

Things are looking very bleak at this point weather dude. PJ will have next year, no matter what I believe. If next year is as bad as this year, little pissant lying coyle is going to have an ulcer or two.

I’ve never once cared or complained about Claeys weight

I'll admit I did. I worry about people with that much weight because it's bad for their longterm health.
I have some family members in similar situations and I care about that as well.

Top Bottom