***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Guess the Gopher staff can’t adjust at halftime and I guess the staff figures we can’t pass because our receivers are no good. Like how he abandoned the run against Iowa and abandoned the pass against Illinois.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said as much countless times since the MD game last year and got hammered by Flecksters. Very few games where Fleck and Co have not been out coached or been able to make obviously needed adjustments. Welcome to the big time, PJ.

Losing is a problem. Getting thoroughly outclassed in every facet of the game against a team with similar (or lesser) talent points to a much larger problem.

Just for consistencies sake, 9 wins makes you a loser. If that's your standard, fine, but dont start praising Fleck when he reaches that same mark.

I won't unless he does it with a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores and beats a rival. That would be much different than that season.

Don't worry guys, Fleck opens next season against the Jackrabbits at home. We'll have our Fleck v. Brewster comparison soon enough ;)

Dude it’s no use going down this road.

The last memory of the previous regime is the defensive effort in a meaningless bowl game. Recency bias.

He can't help himself... it's like a hot stove to a little kid. He is in his own world. Personal dig in 3...2...1...

Thought I just saw a positive note from the game. It was just a commercial.

This is getting into 84-13 level of embarrassment here... It should probably be 51-14 right now.
I say through that entire game in 1983, but today was so bad that I went out and did more yardwork.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok...what does that have to do with the trend in defense under Smith? Claeys built that defense. Smith got busy dismantling it.

It was already being dismantled by poor DL recruiting and a scandal prior to Flecks arrival

according to radio post-game show, Illinois' total yardage today is the 7th-most allowed in a single game in the history of Gopher Football. 2 of the top 10 games in most yards allowed in Gopher history have taken place this year.

Fleck with Gaard - "playing guys that shouldn't be playing." "No depth." "missing tackles."

337 yards rushing last time I checked.

430 total. Two 100 yard rushers and almost a third. How often does a team allow that much to a third stringer on the 2nd worst team in the conference?

according to radio post-game show, Illinois' total yardage today is the 7th-most allowed in a single game in the history of Gopher Football. 2 of the top 10 games in most yards allowed in Gopher history have taken place this year.

Fleck with Gaard - "playing guys that shouldn't be playing." "No depth." "missing tackles."

Yeah, but they only have history going back to 1892.....

on post-game radio show, Conzemius just said "I think there could be some changes in this coaching staff in the next couple of days."

Yep games like this suck.
You can also tell who to the trolls are on this board after in these threads.
This defense is not good and it especially bad against a spread offense and a good o line.
This team has been better at home and I expect them to put up a good fight the last two home games.

Who are the trolls?
Anyone who doesn’t share your optimism?

I won't unless he does it with a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores and beats a rival. That would be much different than that season.

Talent Rankings last year.
Age of players this year.
You are one of a kind.

It was already being dismantled by poor DL recruiting and a scandal prior to Flecks arrival

Yep, PJ’s done as well as anyone could expect with the pile of poo he inherited. That last staff really sucked at defense.

Yep, the Claeys defensive staff really underperformed their recruiting rankings.

My guess is PJ toes his “young” line for now, tries to keep the recruits he has, and fires the staff in December. Bring in a new staff over the offseason and go from there.

Flecks win against Fresno St. this year could be their first win over a team that finished ranked in nearly 20 years. Terrible coaching.

That would be inaccurate.

What was Fresno Ranked when we beat them?

Eastern Michigan beat Purdue. Purdue beat #3 Ohio State and #16 Iowa. Does that make Eastern Michigan a better team than Ohio State and Iowa?

So Brohm’s a terrible coach because he lost to Eastern Michigan. Following your logic* is hard. Brohm got out coached in the eastern Michigan game. Not the Ohio State and Iowa games. I’d trade a loss to Fresno State in a heart beat if we had won the Ohio State and Iowa Games.

Our signature win is against a group of 5 team who hasn’t beaten anyone. Awesome.

Last edited:

Seriously, give Claeys some credit... he built a good defense from the ground up without many highly ranked players. He made some of our players into NFL caliber players. This is no chicken and egg deal, players like Boddy-Calhoun, Murray, Cambell, and others who got a sniff of the NFL are there because they were coached to maximize their talents. Claeys, is a very good defensive coach, and as you can see, he carried Jerry Kill. Sadly, we lacked a good offense during their tenure. Claeys isn't a rah rah guy, and so he was a dead man walking, even though he won the last game he ever coached that he had no business winning. Fleck is a rah rah guy, and maybe has some offensive ideas... and the jury is out on him still, but the issue we are having is defensive. Bad technique, bad schemes, etc... Sure maybe we have no so good players, but there is no way you can say we're that much worse than Illinois in terms of talent. I seriously don't mind loses, and expect them for now, but there was no fight at all from the defense.

Yep, the Claeys defensive staff really underperformed their recruiting rankings.

My guess is PJ toes his “young” line for now, tries to keep the recruits he has, and fires the staff in December. Bring in a new staff over the offseason and go from there.

So, a Brew redo? Let the season play out and see what the hc market looks like and of someone like boelema or miles or kelly are out there go get em

So, a Brew redo? Let the season play out and see what the hc market looks like and of someone like boelema or miles or kelly are out there go get em

Being a young guy I’m willing to give him a mulligan on Smith but he needs to bring in some competent minds and coaches on defense. The team is soft, can’t tackle, can’t stay in their gaps. They haven’t done well plugging holes with JUCOs.

Losing is a problem. Getting thoroughly outclassed in every facet of the game against a team with similar (or lesser) talent points to a much larger problem.

Man, there's no way ANY team in the BG10 has worst talent on defense than Gophers. This defensive talent is terrible. Our LBs and DBs can't shed a run-block for the life of them. Almost none of the Gopher defensive players have the ability to explode through the blockers at the line of scrimmage to make an athletic tackle...Barber does it on occasion then the next play the O Guard handles him easy, the safeties can't shed a block or are out of position, then the running back houses it. Terrible. Pathetic.

I'm starting to wish Fleck would have just pulled a Kill and recruited a bunch of JUCOs to fill holes on the defense. This is really tough to watch and there's danger recruiting will be damaged permanently and this whole thing spirals downward into a Wacker-like abyss.

Man, so now all the linebackers suck so bad when previously that was the strong point for a lot of posters. How did that come to be?

Top Bottom