First impressions of each Gopher player in 3 words or less

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like this Hodger! Well done. Without being at the game, I am most encouraged by your 3 words for Jelly, Matz and Oturu.

I'm excited for the season to begin!

Go Gophers!!

Oturu is the real deal. If this team can get Curry healthy and Carr eligible....look out. Lots of solid players!

I like this Hodger! Well done. Without being at the game, I am most encouraged by your 3 words for Jelly, Matz and Oturu.

I'm excited for the season to begin!

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed.

I try not to read too much into games vs. overmatched opponents. That said, if Curry gets healthy and simply does roughly what he did two seasons ago, frontcourt has a chance to be deep.

Liked what I saw from Matz (he's a stringbean), definitely an upgrade from Bakary & Gaston, but he's the one guy I need to see vs. quality competition before gleaning too much.

Not sure when, but if he stays healthy Oturu will play in the NBA. Only an injury will take him out of the starting lineup.

If this team gets Carr added to the mix. ... depth off the charts we haven't seen here in quite some time.

Last edited:

Thanks Bleed.

I try not to read too much into games vs. overmatched opponents. That said, if Curry gets healthy and simply does roughly what he did two seasons ago, frontcourt has a chance to be deep.

Liked what I saw from Matz (he's a stringbean), definitely an upgrade from Bakary & Gaston, but he's the one guy I need to see vs. quality competition before gleaning too much.

Not sure when, but if he stays healthy Oturu will play in the NBA. Only an injury will take him out of the starting lineup.

If this team gets Carr added to the mix. ... depth off the charts we haven't seen here in quite some time.

SS- Way too early but does seeing the young guys change your view of how we finish this year in the Big Ten? The depth- especially if we are able to play Carr, is going to be huge. I have to believe that it is really going to play into Pitino's style well to be able to keep fresh players out there. And, it keeps everyone playing hard to maintain their playing time.

SS- Way too early but does seeing the young guys change your view of how we finish this year in the Big Ten?

Not really. I picked 7th, but league looks pretty balanced (after Michigan State) from 2-10. I'd still put 3rd or 4th as the ceiling.

And I always remind myself, don't get sucked in too much by a meaningless exhibition game vs. an overmatched opponent, and don't forget other teams are getting better, too.

Last edited:

Not really. I picked 7th, but league looks pretty balanced (after Michigan State) from 2-10. I'd still put 3rd or 4th as the ceiling.

And I always remind myself, don't get sucked in too much by a meaningless exhibition game vs. an overmatched opponent, and don't forget other teams are getting better, too.

After saying Oturu is an NBA player....

If you add Carr and Curry to that lineup we are (much) deeper than we've ever been in my short time cheering for the team (14 Years). Coffey at the point with Gabe playing the two changes a lot of things for this team. IF Gabe can play on the wing for 20 minutes per game in the B1G we are very very deep. If not, then our guard rotation may be challenged a bit and you will NEED more from Jelly. If Jelly is all cream on the top of a very balanced starting 5 that's the kind of depth you need to play into March.

Curry and Carr make this team 8 deep with good players, and 10 deep with people that can play and have played in big games (Hurt and Stull) and 11 deep with people you'd trust with 10 minutes, and 12 deep of people other teams wouldn't wonder why you gave a scholarship to them (hasn't been the case for about 8 years now).

After saying Oturu is an NBA player....

If you add Carr and Curry to that lineup we are (much) deeper than we've ever been in my short time cheering for the team (14 Years). Coffey at the point with Gabe playing the two changes a lot of things for this team. IF Gabe can play on the wing for 20 minutes per game in the B1G we are very very deep. If not, then our guard rotation may be challenged a bit and you will NEED more from Jelly. If Jelly is all cream on the top of a very balanced starting 5 that's the kind of depth you need to play into March.

Curry and Carr make this team 8 deep with good players, and 10 deep with people that can play and have played in big games (Hurt and Stull) and 11 deep with people you'd trust with 10 minutes, and 12 deep of people other teams wouldn't wonder why you gave a scholarship to them (hasn't been the case for about 8 years now).

A lot to like last night. Aside from seeing Oturu's skills/potential/maturity, thing I was most pleased with was no injuries. ... knock on wood!

Thanks, SS and others. Was not able to attend the game (hopefully it's my only conflict this year), so I appreciate all your observations.

Oturu - explosive, instinctual, long
Omersa - needs a redshirt
Kalschuer - Gets buckets, defends
Washington - Smooth, confident, improved
Matz - Very Tall Norwegian
Dupree - Shot looks back
Murphy - Just as Dominant
Hurt - Shooting better, physical
Stull - Winded, smart, shooter
Coffey - Everything done right
Rudrud - Wade Hokenson minutes
Coach's son - Saints fan? What?

Oturu - explosive, instinctual, long
Omersa - needs a redshirt
Kalschuer - Gets buckets, defends
Washington - Smooth, confident, improved
Matz - Very Tall Norwegian
Dupree - Shot looks back
Murphy - Just as Dominant
Hurt - Shooting better, physical
Stull - Winded, smart, shooter
Coffey - Everything done right
Rudrud - Wade Hokenson minutes
Coach's son - Saints fan? What?

These are probably the best I've seen. 100% agree with Oturu but his ability to run the floor and handle/pass the ball was really good to see. Omersa should redshirt but with Curry in question, I wouldn't push that yet. Dupree, Jelly and Stull all spot on. I think Stull is a goofy looking player and once we get used to that, we will like the depth and experience he provides. He is smart and wont lose us games. Coffey didn't care one bit last night so the jury is still out. We are really deep and adding Carr (hopefully) and Curry (also hopefully) will give us an ability to do a lot of running which this team seems to want to do. The ball moves quick with Jelly and Coffey running the point. Will be a lot of fun.

I'll play!

Oturu-HAPPY, athletic, DPOY (someday)
Omersa-Athletic, defensive liability
Kalschuer-Finisher, smart, instinctual
Washington-Improved shooter, smarter
Matz-Long and skinny
Dupree-3 and D
Murphy-1st Team all-B1G
Hurt-Confident, bigger, stronger
Stull-Experienced, decent stroke
Coffey-Straw stirring drink
Rudrud-Fan favorite
Hunt-Eddie Munster
Curry-Looks much bigger
Willis-seems well liked
Carr-needs a haircut
Jarvis-What could've been

Omersa should redshirt but with Curry in question, I wouldn't push that yet.

Of course Omersa cannot redshirt. There are four front court players now. Murphy doesn't have a history of rarely fouling. Curry is more than "in question." Even if he returns in five weeks, there is no guarantee he is going to be anywhere near 100%.

I'll give it a shot

Oturu-Dynamic, Diverse, Defensive
Omersa-Joyous, Jumping, J? (5 of 6!)
Kalschuer-Good, Guarded, Gifted
Washington-Impressive, Intense, Instant-offense
Matz-Stretched, skinny, sittable
Dupree-Mature, measureable, master-lock (defense)
Murphy-Jorgantic, jams, just-ballin
Hurt-Missle-launch, Meatier, Muscle
Stull-Bullseye, Barn-rat, Baller
Coffey-Awesome, Assists, Attack
Rudrud-Bench Bottom Booster
Hunt-Concealed court conscience
Curry-Evasive-health, excellent, expectations
Willis-Particularly Patient Player
Carr-Must free Marcus!!
Jarvis-Just a damn shame.

Pitino-Roasted, Respected, Rejuvenated

Tried to go with a little alliteration!

I'll give it a shot

Oturu-Dynamic, Diverse, Defensive
Omersa-Joyous, Jumping, J? (5 of 6!)
Kalschuer-Good, Guarded, Gifted
Washington-Impressive, Intense, Instant-offense
Matz-Stretched, skinny, sittable
Dupree-Mature, measureable, master-lock (defense)
Murphy-Jorgantic, jams, just-ballin
Hurt-Missle-launch, Meatier, Muscle
Stull-Bullseye, Barn-rat, Baller
Coffey-Awesome, Assists, Attack
Rudrud-Bench Bottom Booster
Hunt-Concealed court conscience
Curry-Evasive-health, excellent, expectations
Willis-Particularly Patient Player
Carr-Must free Marcus!!
Jarvis-Just a damn shame.

Pitino-Roasted, Respected, Rejuvenated

Tried to go with a little alliteration!

Nicely done.

Just a few random ones off the top of my head:

Matz-
I'm a believer
or
Kraftwerk world tour

Gabe-
He's for real

Amir-
NBA is realistic

Mike-
Nothing went right

Daniel-
Dig that footwork!

Now you tell me! About 50 years too late.

Just a few random ones off the top of my head:

Matz-
I'm a believer
or
Kraftwerk world tour

Gabe-
He's for real

Amir-
NBA is realistic

Mike-
Nothing went right

Daniel-