2018 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

This is a bad move by North Carolina, IMHO. Mack Brown was a great coach but he's been out of the game for 5 years and it's been over 20 since he had his success at North Carolina. That's an eternity in college football. Is he really going to have the patience to rebuild at the age of 67?

Andrew Carter @_andrewcarter

UNC makes it official, firing Larry Fedora after seven years. Fedora will be owed a buyout of $12 million. Statement from athletic director Bubba Cunningham:

That's like 4 games against the Gophers!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This one is particularly strange. A very young guy (younger than Fleck), and you give him two years? There had to be something more to it than strictly win/loss performance.

ESPN: Tyson Helton agrees to coach Western Kentucky

Tennessee offensive coordinator Tyson Helton has reached an agreement to become Western Kentucky's next head coach, sources told ESPN.

An announcement is expected in the next day or two.

Helton, 41, just finished his first season as Tennessee's offensive playcaller and quarterbacks coach under Jeremy Pruitt. Helton, the younger brother of USC head coach Clay Helton, was previously on the USC staff before joining Pruitt on the Vols' staff. Helton spent the 2014 and 2015 seasons at Western Kentucky as the Hilltoppers' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Western Kentucky athletic director Todd Stewart announced Sunday that the school had fired Mike Sanford, who was 9-16 in two seasons there.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ees-become-coach-western-kentucky-hilltoppers

Go Gophers!!

Job going to Tyson Helton, the 41 yr old OC for Tennessee, according to twitter reports. (and ESPN)

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ees-become-coach-western-kentucky-hilltoppers

Bleed was all over it.

Word is Gus Malzahn is about to be out at Auburn and that they already have a “big name” lined up. Some speculate that it will
be Bob Stoops, James Franklin or Mike Gundy. Personally, I doubt it would be Franklin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mack Brown going back to UNC.

Inside Carolina reported Monday that UNC had reached a deal with Brown, who coached the Tar Heels from 1988 to '97. But multiple sources told ESPN that as of Monday afternoon, the deal has not been finalized.

Brown, 67, is 244-122-1 in 30 seasons as a head coach. He is part of the 2018 College Football Hall of Fame class and won the 2005 national championship at Texas.

Brown, who has served as an ESPN college football analyst for the past five years, was 69-46-1 at North Carolina during his first stint and led the Tar Heels to winning seasons in each of his last eight years, including top-10 finishes in the polls his last two seasons in 1996 and 1997.

Brown would replace Larry Fedora, who was fired Sunday after going 45-43 in seven seasons at UNC...

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ges-front-runner-north-carolina-tar-heels-job

This is a bad move by North Carolina, IMHO. Mack Brown was a great coach but he's been out of the game for 5 years and it's been over 20 since he had his success at North Carolina. That's an eternity in college football. Is he really going to have the patience to rebuild at the age of 67?

Does cokehead have any eligibility left?

Word is Gus Malzahn is about to be out at Auburn and that they already have a “big name” lined up. Some speculate that it will
be Bob Stoops, James Franklin or Mike Gundy. Personally, I doubt it would be Franklin.

Regarding Franklin....

Auburn

SEC West
Alabama
LSU
Texas A&M

Arkansas
Miss St
Mississippi

Vs:

Penn State

Big Ten East
Ohio State
Michigan
Mich State

Maryland
Indiana
Rutgers

It's Auburn, but that won't be an easy gig.

Those Auburn boosters think they should be on par with Alabama and they have lost their minds.

Unless he has a bad Agent, Gus M. has a 7 year 49M contract that I think he signed one year ago. I have hear the buyout is 32M. Good luck with that plan.

That is a mistake. They should have kept him. No one is going to win consistently in the SEC other than Saban. So the next guy won't do any better.

Maybe they'll hire Lane...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Paul Johnson has stepped down at Georgia Tech.

Paul Johnson has stepped down at Georgia Tech.

Sad to see. I like the throwback coaches. Will be interesting to see who Georgia Tech takes. I doubt they'll still with the option. Once upon a time, I was sick of the option because so many teams ran it and the Gophers could never defend it. Now I miss it.

Sad to see. I like the throwback coaches. Will be interesting to see who Georgia Tech takes. I doubt they'll still with the option. Once upon a time, I was sick of the option because so many teams ran it and the Gophers could never defend it. Now I miss it.

Next power 5 team to run option should be pac 12 or big 12

Those defenses all designed for spread would struggle against an option team.
Kansas should’ve gone after Army’s coach

Mike Houston HC of FCS James Madison football leaving for Charlotte 49ers HC job. Multiple websites.

Next power 5 team to run option should be pac 12 or big 12

Those defenses all designed for spread would struggle against an option team.
Kansas should’ve gone after Army’s coach

Had not thought about it but you could be on to something.

When not watching Gophers- I watch West Point. You’d like Monken - what he’s done there has been amazing. Also former Johnson assistant and former Georgia Southern guy.

Top Bottom