2018 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Another classy coach move to wait til after he's signed a class and then bail on the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another classy coach move to wait til after he's signed a class and then bail on the kids.

Might not have been his choice on his own.... His employers are very upset at how the season ended.

I think Wisconsin game may have had a lot to do with it either way.
Favored.
Get beat 35-3.

He then either decided to retire, he was told to retire or be fired, or he was told to make changes he didn’t want to make or retire.

Might not have been his choice on his own.... His employers are very upset at how the season ended.

Guess that's possible but would seem unlikely given the fanfare of him "coming home" to start coaching Miami in 2016. He was ACC coach of the year last year as well. Now I do think he may have been told he had to fire his son the QB coach or hire an OC (pretty sure Richt called the plays) and that his "retirement" is a reaction to one of those 2 scenarios.

Guess that's possible but would seem unlikely given the fanfare of him "coming home" to start coaching Miami in 2016. He was ACC coach of the year last year as well. Now I do think he may have been told he had to fire his son the QB coach or hire an OC (pretty sure Richt called the plays) and that his "retirement" is a reaction to one of those 2 scenarios.

The last one is my guess. Not sure if Miami realizes they needed richt more than richt needed them. Richt quit. Maybe they’re happy about it. Good luck finding someone better, that job isn’t what is was 10 years ago.

I would imaging they'll be granted release given there is still another signing period

Yeah, seems odd. I figured he would go a good 5-6 years to get them re-established as a perennial top 20 program. He was also a big part of getting their practice up so fast.

As a Gopher fan, I love the Locksley hire.

We'll see, he flopped at New Mexico. Don't be surprised if he out recruits the gophers next year though. He's well known for his recruiting prowess in that region of the country. Hiring a great recruiter might produce a higher ceiling than hiring a good coach that is a mediocre recruiter, but the floor is much greater as well.

We'll see, he flopped at New Mexico. Don't be surprised if he out recruits the gophers next year though. He's well known for his recruiting prowess in that region of the country. Hiring a great recruiter might produce a higher ceiling than hiring a good coach that is a mediocre recruiter, but the floor is much greater as well.

The Applewhite decision seemed strange, but Houston fired former Gopher WR Tony Levine pretty fast as well after taking over for Sumlin.

The Richt decision seemed awfully hasty as well, but coaches should never hire their children to be on the staff, period. Blake James must already have had a candidate in his back pocket if he pushed out Richt at Miami. Richt had pretty good offenses at Georgia, so they might have been well served by sticking with him, assuming he could still recruit guys like Gurley and Chubb.

I think Locksey was a terrible hire at Maryland, they would have been better off keeping Matt Canada.

I have never understood how the Michigan offense has been so rotten for years with all the 4/5 star talent they get every year. Harbaugh had much better production at Sanford with lesser talent. Michigan just cannot move the ball in big chunks vs. good teeams, and have had not had any eye popping RBs or Lloyd Carr era WR play for years. They are very constipated looking on offense, and even the vaunted D looked like crap vs OSU and again yesterday, with all those 4 star guys on the bench getting a chance to fill in, with the NFL "quitters". not playing.. I hope Harbaugh stays there.

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sucks for Temple. That’s probably Diaz’s dream job and about as well as Miami could hope for anyway.

Sucks for Temple. That’s probably Diaz’s dream job and about as well as Miami could hope for anyway.

The Miami coach prior to Richt, Al Golden, was also hired from Temple.

Al Golden is currently with the Detroit Lions as a LB coach.

You would think that guy could still coach college somewhere at a high level.

Temple gets $4 million for the two weeks he was head coach. Not bad & they will get a good coach, maybe Schiano?

About the Mark Richt "retirement", doesn't he lose money for announcing that he is stepping away instead of being fired. Unless a booster is throwing some serious cabbage at him to walk away, why would he or any coach for that matter accept being forced to retire instead of waiting for the AD to fire him?

About the Mark Richt "retirement", doesn't he lose money for announcing that he is stepping away instead of being fired. Unless a booster is throwing some serious cabbage at him to walk away, why would he or any coach for that matter accept being forced to retire instead of waiting for the AD to fire him?

Not everything in life is about money, especially when you have enough to retire comfortably already. It is odd though. Rumor has it that he wouldn't fire his son and Richt and the AD were fighting about it. Maybe Richt decided he had enough. They were an ass team this year and there was a LOT of people who wanted him fired, especially after they hemorrhaged recruits.

There are currently 8 NFL head coach openings as well as alot of DC and OC jobs. I expect another round of college coaching carousel

Holgerson to leave WV to go to Houston for 5 million per, wow. According to Bruce Feldman

Holgerson to leave WV to go to Houston for 5 million per, wow. According to Bruce Feldman

That is a big salary for a non-power five school but Houston does have the resources. I still think they are the most logical school to end up back in the Big12.

I was surprised by that too. I have never thought of UH as being an upgrade over WVU. Perhaps he was tired of trying to complete with OU and Texas with much less talent. At UH, he will be able to recruit on par with the other conference teams so that he can compete for conference titles on an annual basis.

That is a big salary for a non-power five school but Houston does have the resources. I still think they are the most logical school to end up back in the Big12.

Big 12 would be stupid to not lock them up.

I was surprised by that too. I have never thought of UH as being an upgrade over WVU. Perhaps he was tired of trying to complete with OU and Texas with much less talent. At UH, he will be able to recruit on par with the other conference teams so that he can compete for conference titles on an annual basis.

Yeah very surprising. Who was the last P5 HC to leave a successful program for a smaller opportunity like this?

Surprised by the Holgerson move but 20 million hard to pass up and plenty of talent to recruit in the Houston area.

Yeah but what coach strives to compete for the AAC title on an annual basis? He went for the money, which is fine.

Yeah. But it’s a G5 program.

True......for now. Houston has spent over $230 million dollars on capital project updates and has new athletic facilities and a new indoor practice facility. It is what, the third largest city in the nation?? Has large recruiting base not only around Houston but in Louisiana. They may be back in the Big 12 sooner rather than later.

Side note, I’m a Houston Astros baseball fan and on our message board a couple of the posters are from West Virginia. While Holgerson has won there, apparently they are not sad to see him go. Has a reputation for being a bit of a sleazy guy off the field according to them and it certainly doesn’t look like the administration put up much of a fight to convince him to stay.

No, that already failed. Texas tried to force a vote on adding Houston to the conference and the former Big 8 schools walked out.

Schools like Kansas, K-State, Iowa St, Oklahoma State ... they saw Houston as just another threat for Texas recruits to stay in-state instead of making the trip north to play.

Top Bottom