2018 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This hiring, and Bohl not being hired, is purely because of Taylor.

Would not surprise me he kept a grudge against Bohl. Heard some stuff went down in the transition, and trying to take recruits from NDSU to Wyoming, etc.

I for one don't think there's any reason to assume he can't find success. I like promoting winning coaches from a lower level. Buffalo had a great year this year and their head coach was hired from DIII Wisconsin-Whitewater.

So who will your next HC be Herd?

Wild, wild guess .... but wonder if they'll offer it to Tyler Roehl. From Fargo high school, went to NDSU, had a shot in the NFL, then came home to coach the school .... would be young, but would almost be a Fleck like hire for NDSU. High energy, would sell the heck out of the program.

Wild, wild guess .... but wonder if they'll offer it to Tyler Roehl. From Fargo high school, went to NDSU, had a shot in the NFL, then came home to coach the school .... would be young, but would almost be a Fleck like hire for NDSU. High energy, would sell the heck out of the program.

I love Roehl. That would be quite a jump to HC wouldn't it? Isn't he WR coach? He has to be about 30 years old.

I guess all that matters maybe is if he keeps the recruits.

I love Roehl. That would be quite a jump to HC wouldn't it? Isn't he WR coach? He has to be about 30 years old.

I guess all that matters maybe is if he keeps the recruits.

Yeah it is probably too much of a jump. TE/FB coach, as he played FB in 2006. I do think he would do a great job and represent NDSU very well, but it's probably too much of a jump.

Wonder how much of the staff will go with him. A lot of Bohl's staff went with him, but some stayed with Klieman. How crazy would it be if Klieman went after some of Bohl's staff.

Yeah it is probably too much of a jump. TE/FB coach, as he played FB in 2006. I do think he would do a great job and represent NDSU very well, but it's probably too much of a jump.

Wonder how much of the staff will go with him. A lot of Bohl's staff went with him, but some stayed with Klieman. How crazy would it be if Klieman went after some of Bohl's staff.

Regarding Kileman;

I think it was a great hire and if CK gets to really run the show without the old man lurking in the shadows like Barry did at Wisconsin he has a chance to do well. (Barry lurking at UW is probably not a bad thing, Snyder lurking at KSU, not so good for the FB coach)

Having said all that Minnesota should have hired Bill Snyder as HC back in 1983, right after firing Joe Salem. (one year early)/ Of course he never could have got the same players into the U of MM as he did a KSU, but he was a football savant and leader.

I never bought into the NDSU cult, but was willing, after all l the failures if PJF did not get it done, see what a Bohl or CK could do at Minnesota if nothing else worked, as those two NDSU coaches seemed able to bring in under-rated talent and make it better in a Kill/ Fitzgerald like way.

I thought Bohl was older than he is, i fact he was in his mid 50s when he took the Wyoming job, and I think he could have done better. The stint as DC at Nebraska might have harmed him.

It will be interesting to see if the NDSU approach works at Kansas State, which is a different job than the Minnesota job would be if open. My impression is that getting admitted into KSU is a lot easier than getting admitted into the U of M, and living

Last edited:

Regarding Kileman;

I think it was a great hire and if CK gets to really run the show without the old man lurking in the shadows like Barry did at Wisconsin he has a chance to do well. (Barry lurking at UW is probably not a bad thing, Snyder lurking at KSU, not so good for the FB coach)

Having said all that Minnesota should have hired Bill Snyder as HC back in 1983, right after firing Joe Salem. (one year early)/ Of course he never could have got the same players into the U of MM as he did a KSU, but he was a football savant and leader.

I never bought into the NDSU cult, but was willing, after all l the failures if PJF did not get it done, see what a Bohl or CK could do at Minnesota if nothing else worked, as those two NDSU coaches seemed able to bring in under-rated talent and make it better in a Kill/ Fitzgerald like way.

I thought Bohl was older than he is, i fact he was in his mid 50s when he took the Wyoming job, and I think he could have done better. The stint as DC at Nebraska might have harmed him.

It will be interesting to see if the NDSU approach works at Kansas State, which is a different job than the Minnesota job would be if open. My impression is that getting admitted into KSU is a lot easier than getting admitted into the U of M, and living

KState fans don’t seem happy about CK being hired. Felt they should’ve hired Lattrell from North Texas. CK May have to inherit a lot of current KState staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KState fans don’t seem happy about CK being hired. Felt they should’ve hired Lattrell from North Texas. CK May have to inherit a lot of current KState staff.

They were smart to give him 6 years, the idea of guys in that situation having people counting the years left after 2 years is ridiculous. He can afford to take kids he can develop rather than having to go all JUCO immediately. He has built an almost P5 level team out of kids most P5 schools would only take as walk-ons. It will be interesting to see how many NDSU recruits go with him.

ESPN: Rick Fox steps down as football coach at Drake

Rick Fox has resigned after five seasons as football coach at Drake.

Fox compiled a 33-22 record with the FCS Bulldogs, including a 7-4 mark this past season, which ended with a 27-24 road loss to then-No. 24 Iowa State. He was 28-12 in Pioneer Football League play.

"My wife, Julie, and I felt that this is the right time for us as a family and the right time for Drake football for me to step away from being the head coach at Drake University," Fox said in a statement Monday. "The 11 years here, including the last five as head coach, have been incredibly rewarding."

Fox spent six seasons on Drake's staff as an assistant under Chris Creighton before taking over as head coach.

Defensive coordinator Todd Stepsis was named interim coach. Athletic director Brian Hardin said he will conduct a national search for Fox's replacement.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25503871/rick-fox-steps-football-coach-drake

Go Gophers!!

And Creighton has taken Eastern Michigan from laughingstock doormat, to respectable. Going to their second bowl game in three seasons, for 2018, and barely missed for 2017 (would've been three in a row).

People were legitimately calling for EMU to drop football, before the 2016 turnaround. He deserves a medal.

As far as Drake goes, I wish it was able to offer scholarship football. But I know the money just isn't there, for what it would cost for the scholarships, increase in coaching pay, recruiting, etc. to get up to the MVFC level, and the offsetting title IX costs.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Current NDSU Defensive coordinator Matt Entz expected to be named NDSU head coach after the game Friday night.

NDSU fans that I know love this and think it is the best hire they could have made to keep their recruits.

DC Entz just named HC. Sounds like most of NDSUs staff staying in Fargo.

Winona Daily News reported he was strong candidate Tuesday evening. He was an Assistant HC under Sawyer at WSU from like 2002-2009 or something.

Klieman was the DC under Bohl. Nets is the DC under Klieman. Rinse, repeat.

Honestly, NDSU’s systems are so set ... the only dumb move I feel like would be NOT keeping exactly the status quote.

Oh God no. I say that not only as a Packers fan but also because his kid is the center on my kid’s travel basketball team and he’s really good. Would hate to have those talents taken to Green Bay!

I get the Mark Murphy/FitzGerald/Northwestern connection, but I don’t see Fitz as an NFL coach. He’s prefect for NU and I’m not sure what he does will translate to the NFL. Very few college coaches do work well for every Pete Carroll there’s a Chip Kelly or Bobby Petrino.

I get the Mark Murphy/FitzGerald/Northwestern connection, but I don’t see Fitz as an NFL coach. He’s prefect for NU and I’m not sure what he does will translate to the NFL. Very few college coaches do work well for every Pete Carroll there’s a Chip Kelly or Bobby Petrino.

Exactly. Even Nick Saban flopped in the NFL.

Big time college coaches thrive because they have absolute (or as close as they can muster) control over ever aspect of the program, and because there is no parity in college football so they just cherry pick the very top talent off the top every year.

Exactly. Even Nick Saban flopped in the NFL.

Big time college coaches thrive because they have absolute (or as close as they can muster) control over ever aspect of the program, and because there is no parity in college football so they just cherry pick the very top talent off the top every year.

While I agree with what you just said, the second paragraph doesn’t apply to Fitzgerald at all

Top Bottom