2018 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
As noted yesterday in the Maryland thread, but figured we'd formally get this thread started.

Maryland, first out of the gate:

ESPN: Maryland fires football coach DJ Durkin day after his reinstatement

The University of Maryland has fired football coach DJ Durkin one day after his reinstatement, the school announced Wednesday evening.

In a statement, president Wallace D. Loh said, "Yesterday, the University System of Maryland Board of Regents announced numerous recommendations, including employment decisions about specific personnel on our campus. I accepted the Board's recommendations. At the same time, I announced my retirement as president in June 2019.

"Since returning to campus after yesterday's press conference, I have met with the leadership of the Student Government Association speaking on behalf of numerous student organizations; the Senate Executive Committee; Deans; department chairs; and campus leadership. The overwhelming majority of stakeholders expressed serious concerns about Coach DJ Durkin returning to the campus.

"The chair of the Board of Regents has publicly acknowledged that I had previously raised serious concerns about Coach Durkin's return. This is not at all a reflection of my opinion of Coach Durkin as a person. However, a departure is in the best interest of the University, and this afternoon Coach Durkin was informed that the University will part ways.

"This is a difficult decision, but it is the right one for our entire University. I will devote the remaining months of my presidency to advancing the needed reforms in our Athletic Department that prioritize the safety and well-being of our student-athletes."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...l-coach-dj-durkin-fired-one-day-reinstatement

Go Gophers!!

Schiano and Butch Jones are current “Big Names” being mentioned for Maryland via twitter pundits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schiano is probably a very solid hire wherever he goes next, provided the fanbase doesn't disqualify him.

Old news but thought it should be mentioned in this thread:

Bowling Green fired HC Mike Jinks on October 14th.

Schiano is probably a very solid hire wherever he goes next, provided the fanbase doesn't disqualify him.

Are you kidding, after the way the mob just labeled DJ a murderer...a supposed child molester-enabler has zero chance of ever being the head man at any university. I’m quite amazed he’s still employed in the college football field. The NFL is more forgiving. I don’t think PJ would touch that radioactive one even as an assistant.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Petrino out at Louisville. Cue the Brohm to Louisville rumors.

Last edited:

Louisville chimes in:

Bobby Petrino fired as Louisville coach

Louisville has fired football coach Bobby Petrino two days after the Cardinals lost their seventh game in a row to fall to 2-8.

Athletic director Vince Tyra announced the move Sunday, saying he "did not have the confidence" that Petrino could turn things around next season and that the change "needs to start happening now."

"We want to thank Bobby for guiding our football program to some of the better seasons we have had historically at UofL during his two separate tenures here," Tyra said in a statement. "However, at this time we feel the program needs different leadership and we owe it to our student-athletes and fans to get this turned around."

Louisville's season has bottomed out during a seven-game losing streak and a five-game stretch of ACC defeats by at least 18 points, including blowout losses to Clemson and Syracuse over the past two weeks. The Cardinals are averaging 21.7 points per game this season, lowest in the ACC. This comes after they led the conference in scoring each of the past two seasons.

"It was clear the players weren't responding," Tyra said at a Sunday afternoon news conference. "The coaches' and the players' efforts have to go in the right direction, but I didn't feel it was going that way."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...obby-petrino-fired-louisville-cardinals-coach

Go Gophers!!

That's a short leash on Petrino.

2014 Louisville 9–4 5–3 3rd (Atlantic) L Belk 24 24
2015 Louisville 8–5 5–3 3rd (Atlantic) W Music City
2016 Louisville 9–4 7–1 T–1st (Atlantic) L Citrus 20 21
2017 Louisville 8–5 4–4 T–3rd (Atlantic) L TaxSlayer
2018 Louisville 2–8 0–7 (Atlantic)

Assuming something else was sour as well other than just on field performance or AD has a strong candidate in mind.

Twitter report citing unnamed source that Purdue will soon be starting a search for a new head football coach.

Twitter report citing unnamed source that Purdue will soon be starting a search for a new head football coach.

Brohm sure loves him some Kentucky. I am guessing he doesnt like having to play in MN in November all that much, would rather play at florida state!

Comments from his (Brohm) weekly press conference is that he's not denying interest in the job. Some said he practically let everyone know he's gone.

You gotta know someone at Louisville reached out to Brohm's agent to see if he would come before they let Petrino go.

That's a short leash on Petrino.

2014 Louisville 9–4 5–3 3rd (Atlantic) L Belk 24 24
2015 Louisville 8–5 5–3 3rd (Atlantic) W Music City
2016 Louisville 9–4 7–1 T–1st (Atlantic) L Citrus 20 21
2017 Louisville 8–5 4–4 T–3rd (Atlantic) L TaxSlayer
2018 Louisville 2–8 0–7 (Atlantic)

Assuming something else was sour as well other than just on field performance or AD has a strong candidate in mind.

I'll assume they already know Brohm is a done deal and feel that he's a better coach for them long term.

You would have to think Petrino's name would resurface somewhere else. He has been pretty successful and after just one bad year you wonder if someone else might have some interest.

Wierd they’d want him :rolleyes:

Doesn’t sound good, but perhaps he’s trying too see how much is in Fort Knox. Nice position to be in.

You would have to think Petrino's name would resurface somewhere else. He has been pretty successful and after just one bad year you wonder if someone else might have some interest.

He's a PoS as a person, and a lot of people think he tanked just to get fired at his last job.... and if he didn't, he sucks.

That's not a good combo.

Reports that Colorado will be dumping their coach at end of season.

Reports that Colorado will be dumping their coach at end of season.

Wasn't Colorado pretty decent last year? I'm not sure why one down year is enough to fire coaches. Colorado hasn't had a hint of being good in a long time...

Very preliminary, but Dan Dakich is saying Brohm to Louisville will be announced after Xmas.

Christmas is early this year

Really Early. Why mess with Black Friday at all...

I suppose that is the end of the season. So some coaches go right away to their new team. Purdue will be a dumpster fire for a year or two.

Last edited:

Top Bottom