Per 247: 190 million can't buy top 25 in facilities

Oh boy, this is ridiculous. Assuming that it won't stop anytime soon.

I didn't look through them all but it makes me wonder what is it about the other places that make them rank higher. Do they have useful features that we don't have or is it just prettier trim?

Watched the Tennessee Vols video, looked a lot like our promotion video....

So why aren't we top 25? Say, compared to Kansas....

I didn't look through them all but it makes me wonder what is it about the other places that make them rank higher. Do they have useful features that we don't have or is it just prettier trim?

Similar thoughts have probably gone through most teenage boys and girls.

Of that $191 million, how much was for football?

A lot of that money was for the nutrition and academic parts that are used by all student athletes.

I've been to Georgia's facilities. They do have the new indoor facility, but they don't have a training table. They got ranked on their success and the new indoor practice field....whooppee. The blurb says their weightroom and lockerroom need to be updated. Why the hell would they even be on the list then?

247 did do some leg work, but for the most part this is lazy journalism. Most of these schools are helmet schools or trendy, solid, up and coming teams.

Not only is the U missing, so is the Northwestern lakefront facility.

Crappy list.

A quarter of the facilities or improvements aren't done yet.

Well the article was written at the beginning of the season. Maybe they haven't seen our facility yet

One of the ones in Florida has a lazy river.

One of the ones in Florida has a lazy river.

At the time I lobbied for a ski jump and zip line off the top of TCF to the facility. I also lobbied for the original indoor facility plan as it had a bit more style along the line ps of the Northwestern one. Missed opportunities to stand out.

It is chum change compared to how much the Vikings and other Pro Teams are spending. The fear is that the Super Power 5 teams will get to the level of spending by the Pros to the detriment of college educational spending.

The only programs that feel out of place on this list are Kentucky and Kansas. Even if the facility is one of the newest in the country, I imagine that its is still hard to stand out amongst the traditional powers in the country. All of these facilities fit relatively the same format, and this list seems most concerned with the bells and whistles.

Meh.

They talk about "facilities" but doubt they had done anything besides look at dollar amounts and watched a couple of vids.

For instance, they rank notre dame at #11 but point only to an updated locker room, which, in my opinion, is inferior the The "U"s locker room. And I'll admit that I don't know the entirety of the facilities at nd, I am not aware of much more than a weight room and dorms (after visiting their facilities page on their website).

The sad part is, there were a handful that had just broken ground. How is a promise of what might be superior to something that exists?

IMHO, we are in the top 25. One of the best stadiums in the country and a new athletes facility that has most of the bells and whistles. Even NFL players have been impressed by what we have. However, it is an arms race and we do need to finish paying for the Athlete's Village so we can be invest again in a few years.

The fear is that the Super Power 5 teams will get to the level of spending by the Pros to the detriment of college educational spending.

Fear of whom? If anyone has this "fear," it's irrational and unfounded. Power 5 team expenditures are funded by athletic department revenues and philanthropy. College educational spending is paid for by government funding, tuition, and philanthropy. They're two different pots of money with very little to no overlap.

it is a lame list, it is almost a list of just top twenty five teams...

Top Bottom