STrib: Marcus Carr anxiously waiting on NCAA to grant his waiver to play for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Free Marcus Carr hashtags have been popping up all over social media in the last week.

The start of the 2018-19 college basketball season is so close you can sense the excitement across the country, but the former Pittsburgh guard still hasn’t heard from the NCAA on whether his waiver to play immediately at the University of Minnesota will be granted after transferring in the spring.

“We’re confident he will get it,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Sunday about the 6-foot-2 sophomore point guard. “We feel like he should get it, but you never know with all that stuff.”

People close to Carr, his fans, his Gopher teammates and obviously coaches are getting antsy about the NCAA’s decision making process. Carr hopes the news comes soon with the season opener Nov. 6 against Nebraska Omaha.

“It’s definitely been an emotional ride trying to figure out every day what’s going to happen,” Carr said. “In terms of practice, I’ve just been approaching it the same. Coming into practice every day still trying to work hard, still trying to get these guys better, still trying to get better myself – really trying to always be prepared.”

On Tuesday, South Florida announced LSU transfer Mayan Kiir was declared to play immediately after playing eight games with the Tigers last season. North Dakota State released a statement Monday about Siena transfer Jordan Horn, a St. Paul native, being eligible to play this season after playing in 30 games last season, including 13 starts.

Big Ten fans might remember the name Mark Smith at Illinois. The former four-star recruit and Illini freshman guard had his waiver granted last week to play this year at Missouri. Higher profile waivers granted recently were former Auburn standout Mustapha Heron at St. John’s and former Alabama forward Braxton Key getting to help Virginia compete for another ACC title this season.

So that brings us back to Carr. What’s the hold up? Sources told the Star Tribune that the NCAA has asked Minnesota for more information on Carr’s case. A big part of the waiver is dealing with the emotional strain of having his head coach fired at Pitt in the spring. The only reason Carr went there was to play for Kevin Stallings, who walked away with $10 million buyout on his contract.

Carr’s mentor and AAU coach Vidal Massiah said he received a text from Minnesota’s coaches this fall that his pupil was “doing extremely well” on and off the court in Minneapolis. He had 12 points in Sunday's Maroon and Gold scrimmage in front of fans.

“I hope he’s able to play, because it’s a win-win for everyone,” Massiah said. “He’s excited he’s playing well, but he’s sitting there in limbo bracing for the worst. If he’s denied it’s going to be a national story.”

http://www.startribune.com/marcus-c...iver-to-play-for-gophers-this-year/499078091/

Go Gophers!!

The NCAA is really being a dick about this. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have made a decision three months ago.

It's the U of MN, the NCAA always does a d!ck move when it comes to the Gophers. We are their national whipping boy.

It's the U of MN, the NCAA always does a d!ck move when it comes to the Gophers. We are their national whipping boy.

This. It would make sense for the NCAA to reject us to say "see, we still abide by the rules"

It's the gophers. Always expect the worst

What a lazy article. He could have done minimal research to point out all the differences in those cleared from one another and those from cases similar to Carr. Including the filing date, hardship specifics. The NCAA is not out to get Minnesota. Carr will be cleared on the timeline.

Tired of these headlines, every time I see it I’m expecting a decision, but nope just another “anxiously waiting”.

What a lazy article. He could have done minimal research to point out all the differences in those cleared from one another and those from cases similar to Carr. Including the filing date, hardship specifics. The NCAA is not out to get Minnesota. Carr will be cleared on the timeline.

What timeline? Help me understand.

What's the timeline?

And, yes, there is plenty of circumstantial evidence the NCAA is out to get Minnesota. No need to make a list. Most of us who have been around for a while could cite plenty of examples in multiple sports, from getting hosed in seeding, to disproportionate penalties compared to other schools for similar infractions.

Yes, a pretty limited article. For all the hand wringing on Carr, there isn't a whole lot of public data on his case, other than coach being fired, which on the surface is pretty weak sauce. I'll be surprised if he is cleared to play this year.

“We’ll have to wait and see. Maybe in a couple of weeks.” Yes, I’m quoting someone.:cool02:

Additional info? To prove he experienced emotional strain?

Sure. Whatever.

It’s Pitt to Minnesota, not Pitt to Duke, North Carolina, or Syracuse. Let him play.

What timeline? Help me understand.

They take them case by case. They do not look at Minnesota and day lets delay, lets screw the Gophers. As for seeding. that is a whole separate committee. We have not made the tourney that often and what are the specific resumes' of all involved. Everyone acted like Nebraska got screwed but the reality is they had a weak body of work. Just because you win 22 games or whatever number does not mean you beat anyone. The NCAA is something the Presidents of the schools wanted. Sure they could do better but transfers are difficult cases and have to avoid a free agent type situation. Schools like Minnesota would get the short end in a big way if transfers went full freedom as guys like Murphy could just leave for a power program without sitting out after three years of the Gophers developing him. You have to be a grad transfer or be a hardship of some sort. I do think in the case od your coach being fired you should be able to transfer immediately and i think that is what they will do with Carr. They have made much progress in this area but they do not have a staff of 12 people dedicated to this issue.

They take them case by case. They do not look at Minnesota and day lets delay, lets screw the Gophers. As for seeding. that is a whole separate committee. We have not made the tourney that often and what are the specific resumes' of all involved. Everyone acted like Nebraska got screwed but the reality is they had a weak body of work. Just because you win 22 games or whatever number does not mean you beat anyone. The NCAA is something the Presidents of the schools wanted. Sure they could do better but transfers are difficult cases and have to avoid a free agent type situation. Schools like Minnesota would get the short end in a big way if transfers went full freedom as guys like Murphy could just leave for a power program without sitting out after three years of the Gophers developing him. You have to be a grad transfer or be a hardship of some sort. I do think in the case od your coach being fired you should be able to transfer immediately and i think that is what they will do with Carr. They have made much progress in this area but they do not have a staff of 12 people dedicated to this issue.

Of course they take them case by case. There is no other way to do it.

I do not know the date the "application" was submitted however all appearances suggest a decision is long overdue. And I disagree with you on the ncaa. They may not look at MN and say lets screw them. They certainly do look at Carolina for example and say let em slide. Not even debateable.

The ncaa is and has been a corrupt organization for decades.

*THAT* scenario is the one thing I worry about with free transfers. The big time, elite programs just going around and plucking top guys away from other P5 or worse other mid-major and low-major schools. So yes, that must be prevented.

Similarly, Minnesota shouldn't get to go around and pluck away top guys at Dakotas, Northern Iowa, Illinois State, etc. without a sit-out (or a waiver).

But a Pitt to Minnesota? Oregon State to Iowa? Georgia to Boston College? Who cares ....

*THAT* scenario is the one thing I worry about with free transfers. The big time, elite programs just going around and plucking top guys away from other P5 or worse other mid-major and low-major schools. So yes, that must be prevented.

Similarly, Minnesota shouldn't get to go around and pluck away top guys at Dakotas, Northern Iowa, Illinois State, etc. without a sit-out (or a waiver).

But a Pitt to Minnesota? Oregon State to Iowa? Georgia to Boston College? Who cares ....

One partial solution is to limit each team to one waiver per year.

Top Bottom