DJ Durkin and Damon Evans will retain jobs at Maryland, source says

What is crazy is it sounds like there were two incidents during the same practice with Durkin there ... did the coach's see / or just let it go?

I had no doubt the coach was grinning ear to ear, watching his little puppet soldiers protecting their cult leader. Disgusting

Hope those players resign from the program.

I thought the players were against him, per ESPN.

In any event, those players should be dismissed from the program and likely face charges. **** show from top to bottom. Loh needs to be fired, and the AD. Clean house at this point.

This supports the idea that it was a have/have not culture under Durkin. This event, if reported accurately, is clearly an example of whistle blower harrassment. Note that it allegedly occurred on Tuesday, and during practice. Sounds like a damned toxic culture to me, regardless of what the report concluded. Good riddance Durkin.

Agree with your later point, except that I would suggest the Regents resign as well. The students, student athletes, alumi and supporters deserve a fresh start.

I had no doubt the coach was grinning ear to ear, watching his little puppet soldiers protecting their cult leader. Disgusting

Hope those players resign from the program.

Clear-eyed, unbiased. There is a spot in the EOAA for you.

Until proven otherwise, you couldn’t think of a counter-argument and are just stammering as an excuse.

The investigation (hint, its published) cleared him and the training staff was responsible for misdiagnosing and delaying treatment. He doesn’t have any control/management authority regarding the medical staff.

You keep saying I don’t have an argument when I seem to be the only one here working off of any semblance of fact.

This supports the idea that it was a have/have not culture under Durkin. This event, if reported accurately, is clearly an example of whistle blower harrassment. Note that it allegedly occurred on Tuesday, and during practice. Sounds like a damned toxic culture to me, regardless of what the report concluded. Good riddance Durkin.

Agree with your later point, except that I would suggest the Regents resign as well. The students, student athletes, alumi and supporters deserve a fresh start.

How do you feel about PJ running a hobbled and unable to defend himself Annexstad out to be a tackling dummy for 280 pound linemen? This was presumedly done for winning reasons, and ostensibly to avoid a QBs controversy.

Is that good culture? Is it ok to criticize him for endangering a student?

Considering the Governor and legislature's response.... I gotta think they're already comparing candidates for cleaning out the BoR.

How do you feel about PJ running a hobbled and unable to defend himself Annexstad out to be a tackling dummy for 280 pound linemen? This was presumedly done for winning reasons, and ostensibly to avoid a QBs controversy.

Oh, looks like you are chomping at the bit to rip Fleck for playing injured players, meanwhile, he never plays anyone who isn't cleared by trainers.
You left that part off of your post.

Oh, looks like you are chomping at the bit to rip Fleck for playing injured players, meanwhile, he never plays anyone who isn't cleared by trainers.
You left that part off of your post.

I have two eyes.

In any event, those players should be dismissed from the program and likely face charges. **** show from top to bottom. Loh needs to be fired, and the AD. Clean house at this point.

Honest question: what does it say about the culture he created if in fact the players who support him think doing something like this is a good idea?

Maybe "toxic" isn't the right word, but would you call such a culture "healthy"?

This one, if true, surely can't be blamed on the training staff.

If you're realizing this only now, you haven't been paying attention.

You're right. I haven't been paying complete attention. When threads evolve like this I tend to tune out most of posts. Especially the long-winded ones.

I didn't think Maryland could look any worse but all it took was Durkin back for one day and here we are.

Did you accidentally respond to my post meaning to respond to a different one? I only ask because the above makes no sense.

Honest question: what does it say about the culture he created if in fact the players who support him think doing something like this is a good idea?

Maybe "toxic" isn't the right word, but would you call such a culture "healthy"?

This one, if true, surely can't be blamed on the training staff.

I’m not naive to human nature. People can be mean, spiteful, angry despite whatever corporate, team, family culture strives to be.

I didn't think Maryland could look any worse but all it took was Durkin back for one day and here we are.

You would think even Durkin would maybe not want a reprisal all of the first day he is back if only because PR... but who knows.

Why? He's leaving already.

I’m not naive to human nature. People can be mean, spiteful, angry despite whatever corporate, team, family culture strives to be.

Fair enough. There are definitely those who take things into their own hands.

I still think something like that is a sign that there are issues with the culture.

IMO as a high major football coach you have to be accountable for everything within your program. It's a really tough job. That's why you get paid the big bucks, and that's why contracts can be bought out.

What do you expect when the players are forced to watch videos about animal aggression? The trigger is Alpha Dog DJ Durkin showing up on the scene.

The Maryland team will probably be cleaning at the end of the season. Will there be any disciplinary action for all the players that either taunted the kid who was accused of being a whistle blower, or for the players that taunted or beat up the kid?

What a fine mess all for the love of the money men.

The investigation (hint, its published) cleared him and the training staff was responsible for misdiagnosing and delaying treatment. He doesn’t have any control/management authority regarding the medical staff.

You keep saying I don’t have an argument when I seem to be the only one here working off of any semblance of fact.

Again, you are the winner for most accurate moniker.

Maybe you should pause and ponder why it always seems that you are alone in a vacuum arguing with everyone else?

It must be that you are just so much smarter than the rest of us idiots. It’s simple algebra, what is the common denominator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again, you are the winner for most accurate moniker.

Maybe you should pause and ponder why it always seems that you are alone in a vacuum arguing with everyone else?

It must be that you are just so much smarter than the rest of us idiots. It’s simple algebra, what is the common denominator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plenty of people think DJ was scapegoated. Get out of your echo chamber.

Try looking at source data, and making judgements based on critical thinking. Think for yourself. I’ve never said I’m smarter than you. I’m making fact-based arguments while you are making emotional ones.

You tend to be on the wrong end of arguments - don’t blame the messenger.

Last edited:

Fair enough. There are definitely those who take things into their own hands.

I still think something like that is a sign that there are issues with the culture.

IMO as a high major football coach you have to be accountable for everything within your program. It's a really tough job. That's why you get paid the big bucks, and that's why contracts can be bought out.

I agree, but the training staff is not part of the football program. It’s fine to throw mud regarding hiring/keeping Court but the rage seems to be along the line of Durkin ran the kid until he died/murder. It’s absurd.

I agree, but the training staff is not part of the football program. It’s fine to throw mud regarding hiring/keeping Court but the rage seems to be along the line of Durkin ran the kid until he died/murder. It’s absurd.

Who actually said that on this thread?

Stop at 0:15

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qeWduNomDqY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who actually said that on this thread?

It’s far worse in the comments abyss of SBnation, Twitter, 247 but here are some suggestive comments from this thread:

“I assume that when you say "abuses" you arnt including McNair's death as one of the abuses, right?”

“This will get uglier. What parent will agree to have their son go to a school that sends a message that his life isn't valued so much.”

“have fun if you go there. Hope you don't die”

“Money matters more than lives, huh? Seems the regents are taking notes from the guys down the road in DC”

“Jordan McNair paid for this culture with his life.”

“Look man they just want a team of psychopaths that wouldn't really care or respond much to the death of a student ..”

Plenty of people think DJ was scapegoated. Get out of your echo chamber.

Try looking at source data, and making judgements based on critical thinking. Think for yourself. I’ve never said I’m smarter than you. I’m making fact-based arguments while you are making emotional ones.

You tend to be on the wrong end of arguments - don’t blame the messenger.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l2JdU7e38RqzdlakU" width="480" height="362" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/season-13-the-simpsons-13x13-l2JdU7e38RqzdlakU">via GIPHY</a></p>

MrC, we all know you’re the smartest man here. You’re still upset I called you out for the grammar error while mocking another poster’s intelligence. That was pretty funny. I won’t apologize. You’ve been hounding me like a scorned lover ever since.

I’d prefer to stick to arguing the known facts, but you seem determined to default to personal attacks when I don’t see things your way. A few of you are reliable in that respect.

Top Bottom