DJ Durkin and Damon Evans will retain jobs at Maryland, source says

What have Maryland and Rutgers contributed to the B1G? Nothing. Terrible mistake. Go away Maryland. You too, Rutgers.

You don’t see the irony in pompous statements like this? We live in a time where facts don’t matter...that is the scary thing.

Your last statement about truth is right and it does make it a very scary time. People tend to believe what they want to hear and from who they want to hear it, as opposed to believing the actual facts.

I did come on strong with my last comment to you, but the point is you tend to gloss over the items that don't defend your argument, but then hang on to the items that do support your argument. This is natural, but you have to step back and make sure that you are giving the matter a truly objective analysis. For example, the fact that the coach showed disgusting videos to the player over meal times. One can brush it off as saying that they have all been exposed to violence or gross behavior, no big deal. Or you could look at it that not very many parents would send their kids to a coach that thinks that is a valid motivational tool. By itself, it may seem like a minor deal, but it really shows insight into the warped mind of a coach that many people would not want to be a role model for their kid. Take for example the "i practice harder than you" jersey that Pitino gives to the player that earns it by their performance in practices. That is a much healthier way to shame the other players than to show the whole team videos of players vomiting. The whole culture at Maryland driven by that coach is sick, demented and not a healthy environment.

Also, I have to chuckle at the idea or thought that it is suddenly a NEW thing that people are believing what they want to believe is true and then are bending reality to fit that belief set, rather than the other way around.

That’s not new. That’s always been the way it is. People have always done that, and will always do that.

MAYBE what you can say, however, is people are much more emboldened as of late to get in other people’s faces pushing their own beliefs as superior. That I buy. And it is getting worse.

Hate, hate to draw politics into it ... by for me, it started getting bad with the conservative response to the ACA (the tea party and all that crap), and has just gotten much worse with the progressives response to Trump.

It’s just going to swing back and forth like a pendulum that is out of control, until Civil War. That sadly is my view of America right now.

DJ Durkin was in charge of the football program at Maryland when the player died. He needs to go. He is responsible.

The football program didn’t misdiagnose him and delay treatment. The university-hired and managed training staff did.

Why is this concept difficult to understand?

If an infantry soldier is injured in combat and he dies while transporting to the trauma center out of sheer negligence, or the trauma center team kills him via negligence does the infantry commander take the heat or the medical group leadership?

If Shannon Brooks develops antibiotic-resistant sepsis from his arthroscopy and loses a leg or goes into multi-organ failure is it PJs fault for running him 22 times on his first day back from injury?

Your last statement about truth is right and it does make it a very scary time. People tend to believe what they want to hear and from who they want to hear it, as opposed to believing the actual facts.

I did come on strong with my last comment to you, but the point is you tend to gloss over the items that don't defend your argument, but then hang on to the items that do support your argument. This is natural, but you have to step back and make sure that you are giving the matter a truly objective analysis. For example, the fact that the coach showed disgusting videos to the player over meal times. One can brush it off as saying that they have all been exposed to violence or gross behavior, no big deal. Or you could look at it that not very many parents would send their kids to a coach that thinks that is a valid motivational tool. By itself, it may seem like a minor deal, but it really shows insight into the warped mind of a coach that many people would not want to be a role model for their kid. Take for example the "i practice harder than you" jersey that Pitino gives to the player that earns it by their performance in practices. That is a much healthier way to shame the other players than to show the whole team videos of players vomiting. The whole culture at Maryland driven by that coach is sick, demented and not a healthy environment.

Again, the investigation totally exonerated Durkin in the death of McNair. The toxic
culture was found not to be toxic. It’s fair to argue over that definition. People have lost their jobs and will face lawsuits over this. People are being held responsible.

Will there be a boycott? We’ll see in the next few days.

The football program didn’t misdiagnose him and delay treatment. The university-hired and managed training staff did.

Why is this concept difficult to understand?

If an infantry soldier is injured in combat and he dies while transporting to the trauma center out of sheer negligence, or the trauma center team kills him via negligence does the infantry commander take the heat or the medical group leadership?

If Shannon Brooks develops antibiotic-resistant sepsis from his arthroscopy and loses a leg or goes into multi-organ failure is it PJs fault for running him 22 times on his first day back from injury?

This is rich coming from the person who constantly complains about the coach playing a player too soon after injury even though he was medically cleared.

So in this thread it's only the university-hired and managed training staff's fault that a player died due to a football practice.

But in a different thread it's the coaches fault if a player is re-injured after being medically cleared by doctors. Talk about being hypocritical.

"Lawmakers in Annapolis plan to hold a hearing next month to scrutinize the University System of Maryland's Board of Regents' decisions this week on the Maryland football program."

http://www.wbal.com/article/344041/...regents-decision-on-maryland-football-program

I was going to make a similar post based on this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...er-dj-durkin-decision/?utm_term=.1ea306396c31

Looks to me like Durkin is toast. Radioactive toast. Time for those in authority over the University of Maryland to recognize reality and begin the process of restoring its reputation.

Last edited:

Gov. Hogan Weighs in on the Situation

“First and foremost, we cannot lose sight of the events that led to the Board of Regents’ investigation. The death of Jordan McNair was a terrible tragedy that should never have occurred and must never be forgotten.

“I’ve said from the beginning that this was a very serious matter that required action and transparency. Although our administration was not a part of the process and I do not know how the regents arrived at their conclusions, in the weeks ahead, we will be pushing for assurances that the issues outlined in the report will be effectively addressed.

“University leadership still faces the considerable challenge of restoring the trust of students, families, and faculty, and proving that there is and will be accountability for any actions that adversely impact student welfare and the standing of our flagship university. The addition of an oversight board seems to be a positive step, but many will understandably question whether enough has been done to address the serious concerns that exist among many in the College Park community – I am one of them.

“It is incumbent upon the regents, President Loh, and the College Park athletic department leadership to build a stronger athletic program where student athletes are always treated with dignity and respect, and to ensure that UMD remains a world-class academic institution that fosters a safe and supportive environment where all students can achieve their dreams.”

https://governor.maryland.gov/2018/...-statement-on-university-of-maryland-actions/

Word has it the president of the university decided to retire after he got the regents recommendation... scuttlebutt is he didn't like the recommendation... thus retirement.

I wonder if he will make a statement about that ever.

Sounds like the University bought out his contract, right?

No way he was going to keep his job.

Maryland looks like a freaking joke. Who are the idiots in power that thought they could sneak keeping him past the #me too society of today? How do you threaten the president of the University, retain the coach and then turn around and fire him. I have a feeling a bunch of regents positions will be open very soon too.

Maryland looks like a freaking joke. Who are the idiots in power that thought they could sneak keeping him past the #me too society of today? How do you threaten the president of the University, retain the coach and then turn around and fire him. I have a feeling a bunch of regents positions will be open very soon too.

Athletics dictate.

The only way Durkin was going to keep his job was if he was employed by an SEC school or OSU.

Good job on the President resigning.
Make the point clear.

Maryland looks like a freaking joke. Who are the idiots in power that thought they could sneak keeping him past the accountability society of today? How do you threaten the president of the University, retain the coach and then turn around and fire him. I have a feeling a bunch of regents positions will be open very soon too.

FIFY

I'm available for a regent job, not a fan of kids dying or such....

Wait so the Governor got involved because he could see what a mess this was and then the Board of Regents fired Durkin? With cause or will Durkin get a payout?

This is rich coming from the person who constantly complains about the coach playing a player too soon after injury even though he was medically cleared.

So in this thread it's only the university-hired and managed training staff's fault that a player died due to a football practice.

But in a different thread it's the coaches fault if a player is re-injured after being medically cleared by doctors. Talk about being hypocritical.

How can the exact same not be said about you? You take one side if it is our coaches and another if it is another school?

Glad they fired Durkin, players would have quit had they allowed him back.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

What's the point of having an investigation? In the future it probably will save time to just ask what everyone what their opinion is and then go with the majority says. You can tell by this thread, that it would be preferable at least among this crowd.

Wait so the Governor got involved because he could see what a mess this was and then the Board of Regents fired Durkin? With cause or will Durkin get a payout?

Governor + legislators all pissed, president of the university possibly resigning because of the BoR decision.... the BoR is pretty much toast at that point.

I think with the BoR being all wonky it's even less likely they try to fire Durkin for cause, that's pretty rare as it is.

DJ Durkin is a cancer. It is right for Maryland to fire him. He bears full responsibility for the type of environment he created. The death of McNair happened under his watch. Good for Prez Wayne Loh to do the right thing.

Me too society? A kid lost his life. That has nothing to do with #metoo

Top Bottom