PJ Fleck on with Paul Allen - 10/30

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Congrats on the win.

Played one of our best games for 3 1/2 quarters.
Fumbled 5 times.
Turned the ball over 2 inside own zone.
Grow up
Find a way to win.
Two freshman on offense.
Two upperclassmen on defense.

Tanner Morgan appeared play well.

Thought he played gutsy.
Tremendous person, leader, young man.
Controlled the game.
Few extra little things. Get ball out sooner.
Second player to be Big Ten freshman.
We're a very young team.
Nice to get accolades.

When things got dicey, how do you keep things relaxed?

That's culture. That's what it's all about.
In middle of the storm. Continue to row.
Part of the play. Next play, next play, next series.
A lot of players getting on it on the sideline. Stay positive. We can do this.
Valuable experience. Evidence that ball is the program.

What do you like about improvement of O-Line.

They are getting better.
Weyler calls a great game. Great leader. Communicates it effectively.

What coverages does TJ see?
They start to double TJ, opens up CrAB and Bateman.
Developing those guys to compliment our run game.
Get us to where we are explosive. Not there yet.
Need to have team players and play as a team.

Is Carter Coughlin as tenaciious of a player you've coached.
Yeh, motor doesn't stop. Bit undersized, but his HOW, effort, etc.
Every bit of talented

Blake Cashman Senior. What do you appreciate about guy like him.

He wants to make everyone better. Self-less. Had selfish players. Don't have that anymore. Self-less players.
He's done a great job letting guys know their role on their field.
Promising future.

What can be better with Bateman
Just get bigger, stronger, faster. Get into 19-20 year old.
Improve route running.
Tyler become very good route runner.
Adam Theilen. Excellent route running.
Rashad has to get to the level where the game slows down. Understand how people are covering.

What do you like about Kirk C.

Been on staff long time. Know each other. The way we call the game is similar.
Know how he will call the game. Wonderful relationship. Sustainability.
Cultural sustainability. Great staff. Guys who want to become coordinators and move on.

Freshman safety Jordan Howden.
4-5 weeks ago, missed tackled resulted in scores.
Threw into fire. Coaches working well developing him. Huge tackle and huge interception. Performing well past Fleck's expectations.
Long way to go. Not where he needs to be.

Shannon Brooks
How sore?

Getting updates on him. Not ready to release info on him.
See the difference in maturity and strength. Will have updates later on with him.
First game back.

How does Lovie's team play?
Lot of close games. Really tough. QB's can run pass.
One of the best RB's. Rodney Smith type slasher.
Defensive, they fly around,swarm to the ball. Aggressive.
Good special team coordinators.

RTB, Ski U Mah, Go Gophers, Skol Vikes.

I'm not sure what the slow play on Shannon Brooks is.

I get wanting to keep Illinois in the dark, but I hardly believe Lovie is going to change their approach much depending on if it's Ibrahim or Brooks.

What the hell? He didn't really say this, did he?

Context is needed...
He said 2 freshmen stepped up and made game winning plays on offense (Morgan to Bateman) and 2 upper classmen stepped up and made game winning plays on defense (guessing he meant Cashman's 3rd down stop and CC's strip sack).... I'm guessing FTF was just typing as fast as he could!

I'm not sure what the slow play on Shannon Brooks is.

I get wanting to keep Illinois in the dark, but I hardly believe Lovie is going to change their approach much depending on if it's Ibrahim or Brooks.

Definitely a little odd. They have not been shy about saying when guys are done for the year in the past so the fact that they have not said that yet to me is somewhat encouraging. Will be interesting to see what his status is going forward, really hope he is able to play in 3 more games down the stretch.

That tells me there is a glimmer of hope that it is not as serious. Can't speculate anymore than that until official word comes out.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how much of a hassle did it sound like it was for Paul was to talk about the Gophers?

What the hell? He didn't really say this, did he?

No, sorry.
He was referring to the big plays by two upperclassmen on defense.
(and the Morgan to Bateman connection on offense)

I tried to keep up with typing as he was talking so some of it appears out of context.

Last edited:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how much of a hassle did it sound like it was for Paul was to talk about the Gophers?

I didn't listen to this, but I do not dig PA at all. He can't stand to let someone else talk (a definite minus when you're an interviewer), and yet he has little of interest to say himself. He's definitely a case of style over substance, and the style is not an attractive one.

Thanks for the rundown, FTF!

JTG

With the following scale:

1. Double root canal

5. This is taking me away from talking Vikings or Wild

10. I watched the game and had intelligent questions

I'd give PA a 8-9 on this one.
PA sold it well, but maybe he had Gardsy give him the list of questions.
You'll notice none of them followed up on a previous question or added details to something PJ said like "Oh, yeah, that interception was great in how he broke on that ball".

I see the rhetoric spewed a lot on Gopherhole. I agree he doesn't seem that interested in Gopher football but you have to keep in mind that he makes his money from the Vikings and the NFL in general. He readily admits he barely watches college football. I'm not sure why people expect him to be rah rah ski-u-mah or even want that. It isn't his job. The fact that Fleck gets air time on his show, during the Vikings season, is good. He dominates his key demographics, especially during Vikings season.

There aren't going to be hardcore gopher interviews and fans on major market radio in this area, at least not during the day. Gaard is about the best we'll get. Its just constant complaints from this fan base about the lack of coverage, respect, etc. and until the team deserves it or the fan base is dedicated and large enough, it won't change. KFAN is a business. They do things to make money. They make significantly more money off the Vikings than the do off all gopher sports combined. Why would you expect a business to not stick to the bread and butter?

The Gophers just had 20,000 people show up for a game. Not exactly a hot ticket. KFAN doesn't need to have Fleck on at all. its good they do. Free exposure to sports fans. Maybe some get into the team? But to always complain about how they interview coaches and act like they owe us some type of great breakdown is foolish. If you want that, stay on here or pay for premium content on other websites.

I didn't listen to this, but I do not dig PA at all. He can't stand to let someone else talk (a definite minus when you're an interviewer), and yet he has little of interest to say himself. He's definitely a case of style over substance, and the style is not an attractive one.

Thanks for the rundown, FTF!

JTG

Yeah similar reason I don't listen to him or most local sports radio.... many of them sound like it is a hassle to do their job. That's not entertaining to me, and if I'm driving in the car, i'm kinda bored as it is ... don't need more of that.

I see the rhetoric spewed a lot on Gopherhole. I agree he doesn't seem that interested in Gopher football but you have to keep in mind that he makes his money from the Vikings and the NFL in general. He readily admits he barely watches college football. I'm not sure why people expect him to be rah rah ski-u-mah or even want that. It isn't his job. The fact that Fleck gets air time on his show, during the Vikings season, is good. He dominates his key demographics, especially during Vikings season.

There aren't going to be hardcore gopher interviews and fans on major market radio in this area, at least not during the day. Gaard is about the best we'll get. Its just constant complaints from this fan base about the lack of coverage, respect, etc. and until the team deserves it or the fan base is dedicated and large enough, it won't change. KFAN is a business. They do things to make money. They make significantly more money off the Vikings than the do off all gopher sports combined. Why would you expect a business to not stick to the bread and butter?

As far as I'm concerned if he isn't interested... refuse to do the interviews. If his boss makes him, then it's his job...

Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

giphy.gif

That tells me there is a glimmer of hope that it is not as serious. Can't speculate anymore than that until official word comes out.

I'm thinking this. Perhaps miss a game or two at the most then back.

I'm glad Fleck is getting the airtime with PA.
PA showed some interest, but he's no Gardsy on Gopher Football, and I don't ask him to be.

Where I do criticize the media in the TC is when they do talk Gopher Football, and they don't know anything, and they decide to go lazy and rip the Gophers for "losing forever" without actually having details on the team.

If you want to just take potshots and criticize without any research, we can get that all over twitter.

If you want to take 30 minutes to look at the roster, watch 20 minutes of a game, and you come to a conclusion that they'll be bad because of weak play in one area or another, then you at least provide more substance than a tweet.

Another example recently is complaining about PJ saying the team is young. (Barreiro)
Well, rather than just criticize PJ for saying they are young, validate it. Are they young? Yes.

If so, then why? Take 5 minutes to see who the junior and seniors are and why aren't there any? Then talk about that. Don't just yell at your microphone that you don't like what he says when it's factual.

I'm thinking this. Perhaps miss a game or two at the most then back.

With the odd nature of it, it makes me wonder if it's concussion related. Concussion isn't cut and dry like an ACL and widely prone to criticism.

Ryan Burns on.

Still haven't heard anything regarding Brooks.

Last edited:

I'm glad Fleck is getting the airtime with PA.
PA showed some interest, but he's no Gardsy on Gopher Football, and I don't ask him to be.

Where I do criticize the media in the TC is when they do talk Gopher Football, and they don't know anything, and they decide to go lazy and rip the Gophers for "losing forever" without actually having details on the team.

If you want to just take potshots and criticize without any research, we can get that all over twitter.

If you want to take 30 minutes to look at the roster, watch 20 minutes of a game, and you come to a conclusion that they'll be bad because of weak play in one area or another, then you at least provide more substance than a tweet.

Another example recently is complaining about PJ saying the team is young. (Barreiro)
Well, rather than just criticize PJ for saying they are young, validate it. Are they young? Yes.

If so, then why? Take 5 minutes to see who the junior and seniors are and why aren't there any? Then talk about that. Don't just yell at your microphone that you don't like what he says when it's factual.

I don't disagree but its the same effort they put into the St Paul Saints, other Gopher sports (if they cover them at all) and a bunch of other sports and non-sports topics. They don't have unlimited time to cover something only a small % of people care about. I wish Gopher sports were mainstream but this is a major market for sports. We have the 4 major pro sports teams, the Lynx and the Loons. Gophers are buried and lack of sustained success does not help that.

Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Wondering if this is another "Lighten up Frances." moment for some GHers...:p

If Fleck were a guitar amp...all his dials would definitely go to 11.

I would love to hope for that ... but my natural pessimism says this is just Fleck's hyper-gamesmanship of never releasing any info about the roster.

On Gopher Football Weekly, PJ said he received emails from grown ups complaining about the Anthracite jerseys and the gold helmets.

Some fans aren't happy with the shade of gold.

Barreiro wasn’t criticizing PJ for just saying the Gophers are young. He was criticizing him for the never ending use of it.

Looks like PJ threw it in again with PA.

The team has been through spring practice, fall practice and 8 games. No need to keep going on about how young the Gophers are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barreiro wasn’t criticizing PJ for just saying the Gophers are young. He was criticizing him for the never ending use of it.

The team has been through spring ball, fall practice and 8 games. No need to keep going on about how young the Gophers are.

Right, but there also aren't many other words you could use to describe the team that are accurate.
So because they played 8 games they somehow surpassed the ages of the other teams? I'd see that if we had freshman who got hurt and we put veterans back in, but the opposite has happened.
So even starting out young, the injured players have been sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

What words would you use to describe this team?

The team has been through spring practice, fall practice and 8 games. No need to keep going on about how young the Gophers are.

That's rich for somebody who has to have a bit practically every day where he can express fake rage and then beat it into the ground.

Top Bottom